Stevia

So I eat this yogurt with Stevia a natural sugar supplement. Anyone know of any harmful effects?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Not yet! As of now your good! Lol unless you receive some gastrointestinal issues, I see stevia being the best zero calorie sweetener out there
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You are fine.

• joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    That's awesome. Someone freaked at the yogurt I was eating saying they'd never heard of yogurt with such little calories but it's so delicious and I knew it had a natural supplement for sugar so I was like this sounds good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I wouldn't call it a supplement. It's a low-calorie sweetener. It doesn't add anything to your diet but a little taste. That being said, taste is good.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I like stevia and have done my research. So far, so good. It's a plant derivative and there is no scientific evidence that it is harmful yet.
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    I have had people telling me there hasn't been enough research on it yet and it made me worried. Does it concern anyone else?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2016
    Does a disgusting after taste that never goes away considered a harmful effect? To me, stevia tastes too artificially sweet and I can't stand products that have it in it. If I do consume some the aftertaste doesn't go away for hours. I have heard other people say they love it though so it could just be me.

Eta-whoops. Didn't realize this was a necro-ed thread
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Does a disgusting after taste that never goes away considered a harmful effect? To me, stevia tastes too artificially sweet and I can't stand products that have it in it. If I do consume some the aftertaste doesn't go away for hours. I have heard other people say they love it though so it could just be me.

OMG this! Stevia tastes like fried *kitten*! Just give me Splenda or Equal anyday! If either of them kills me at least they won't disgust me to death!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

OMG this! Stevia tastes like fried *kitten*! Just give me Splenda or Equal anyday! If either of them kills me at least they won't disgust me to death!

Neither of those are harmful and they taste better
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I like the taste of stevia much better than splenda or equal, personally, lol. But I'll still take sugar over them most of the time...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    What's the name of this yogurt? Sounds interesting as most are loaded with carbs - not healthy.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member

Aren't both those artificial sweeteners? I'm not exactly sure i'd considered either of those to be good substitutes, but that's just me. Natural, whole foods are far better..

I personally don't mind the taste of steevia, i haven't noticed any difference. But i don't personally use it. I just buy regular sugar.
  • sunnybeaches105
    n1cholee93 wrote: »

Aren't both those artificial sweeteners? I'm not exactly sure i'd considered either of those to be good substitutes, but that's just me. Natural, whole foods are far better..

I personally don't mind the taste of steevia, i haven't noticed any difference. But i don't personally use it. I just buy regular sugar.

Yes, they are artificial and they're safe. Not everything natural is safe, nor is everything artificial unsafe. That type of thinking is pretty off kilter. It doesn't take too much in the way of critical analysis to realize that.

An overview: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016

Yes, they are artificial and they're safe. Not everything natural is safe, nor is everything artificial unsafe. That type of thinking is pretty off kilter. It doesn't take too much in the way of critical analysis to realize that.

'

Honestly we could probably go back in forth putting links to support one anothers idea. I never said it wasn't safe, did i? I just said i don't consider them a good substitute. I'd rather eat something natural and is REAL then something that is fake and my body doesn't know what to do with it.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/4-dangerous-effects-artificial-sweeteners-your-health-247543

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited April 2016
    Personally I prefer xylitol. Stevia, Splenda, Equal, SweetNLow, etc, all have a funny aftertaste to me. Xylitol isn't zero calories but it is a lot less than sugar but you can cooking it like sugar - cup for cup.
  • sunnybeaches105

'

Honestly we could probably go back in forth putting links to support one anothers idea. I never said it wasn't safe, did i? I just said i don't consider them a good substitute. I'd rather eat something natural and is REAL then something that is fake and my body doesn't know what to do with it.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/4-dangerous-effects-artificial-sweeteners-your-health-247543

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

Back and forth about what you posted? Your irrational fear of something you don't consider REAL?
    No, the first article you posted was pretty clear. I quote:
    Artificial sweeteners have been scrutinized intensely for decades. Critics of artificial sweeteners say that they cause a variety of health problems, including cancer. That's largely because of studies dating to the 1970s that linked saccharin to bladder cancer in laboratory rats. Because of those studies, saccharin once carried a warning label that it may be hazardous to your health.

But according to the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities, even for pregnant women. As a result of the newer studies, the warning label for saccharin was dropped.

Artificial sweeteners are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as food additives. They must be reviewed and approved by the FDA before being made available for sale.

In some cases, the FDA declares a substance "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS). These GRAS substances, including highly refined stevia preparations, are deemed by qualified professionals based on scientific data as being safe for their intended use, or they have such a lengthy history of common use in food that they're considered generally safe and don't require FDA approval before sale.

The FDA has also established an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for each artificial sweetener. This is the maximum amount considered safe to consume each day over the course of your lifetime. ADIs are intended to be about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    I use good ole plain sugar! It's all natural. Everything in moderation