2 x 45 mins spinning classes a day and eating just under 1500 calories - no weight loss!

Options
A bit dissapointed - I thought I would melt away! I am 55 with, with 35 lbs to lose. I am still not eating clean though - too much bread and carbs and sugar - but just under 1500 a day. I think I burn about 250 calories every session! I have been doing this for two months (around 10 sessions a week). There is a calorie reading on the bike but cannot be accurate as bike has not got my weight, age, etc.

Do not like joining a weightloss club but thinking about Slimming World!

Can you please advise!

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    8mwrvelgzkgl.jpg

ETA: You needn't 'eat clean' to lose weight. Eat more nutrient-dense foods, sure, they are good for you. But they will not help you lose weight any faster. Keep room for some treats as well. Log everything consistently. Never eyeball your portions, weigh and measure everything accurately and choose the correct entries from the database.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple, you're not in a calorie deficit. You're either consuming more calories than you think you are, burning fewer calories than you think you are, or both (most likely both). Get a food scale and tighten up the accuracy on your logging. Also don't use cardio as a crutch to lose weight. It's great to be more active, but don't just use it as a weight loss tool expecting to give it up when you get to your ideal weight cause that's how people gain back all their weight they lost.
  • plami_9209
    plami_9209 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you`re eating a lot of carbs and sugars, keep in mind that you might be eating more calories than you think. I`ve found a lot of mistakes in MFP with junk food calories, most of them are in reality have a lot more calories than it`s shown in MFP. Log foods that are checked, if you log food that is generic or says homemade it`s probably not accurate. Try cutting down the carbs and sugars and substitute them with something else.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The problem is most likely relating to your food diary and not your exercise, it's a minor player in your calorie balance. (250 calories for 45mins Spinning doesn't sound at all optimistic.)

If you want specific advice you could make it public. Otherwise just refocus on weighing everything you eat and drink accurately.
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies - reading them all with interest. I have my diary public now. Good weekend everyone.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you lost 4 kg. For two months, that's not bad. Maybe your expectations are just too high? Or was that weight loss completely prior to the two months you have been working out?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What other exercise and activity do you do? What kinds of weight-bearing activities are part of your exercise plan? Sometimes a balance of weight-bearing and non-weight-bearing can be helpful.

A lot of carbs and sugar sounds like something that might add up to more than 1500 calories a day...
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Read this......
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Your food logging is intermittent and even on some of the days that you have logged it doesn't seem complete.

A moderate deficit, with a sensible exercise program (10 x 45 mins cardio sessions a week sounds like too much to me - I'd recommend less time spent exercising and balancing the cardio with some strength work, flexibility work, and some fun activities) performed consistently and compliantly over a period of weeks will get results.

Best wishes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sorry Bubba - that's not an accurate food log - far too many missing days and suspect other days aren't really complete either.

Commit to logging each and every morsel that passes your lips for a month and then you will have some solid data to go on.

By the way complete accuracy isn't actually as important as consistency, but you don't even have consistency! I'm a bit of a lazy logger but a consistent lazy logger.

By the way there is no need to "eat clean" or eliminate certain foods or food groups and there's also certainly no need to eat diet foods and meal substitutes. Think a bit longer term and eat the foods you intend to eat at maintenance as part of an overall healthy diet (noun) - make dieting just the same but with just a smaller calorie allowance.
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and pointing out the obvious. Very helpful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    plami_9209 wrote: »
    If you`re eating a lot of carbs and sugars, keep in mind that you might be eating more calories than you think. I`ve found a lot of mistakes in MFP with junk food calories, most of them are in reality have a lot more calories than it`s shown in MFP. Log foods that are checked, if you log food that is generic or says homemade it`s probably not accurate. Try cutting down the carbs and sugars and substitute them with something else.

Don't bother with checked foods. They're wrong half the time. Do your own homework and pick a matching entry.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try carb cycling and some weight lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »
    Try carb cycling and some weight lifting.

why try carb cycling?

weight lifting maybe...at least some form of resistance training.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to shake things up a bit. Have you heard about Leangains? If not, check it out!
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The last day I see logged in the diary is for Thursday and it was only logged under breakfast. Went over on Calories, Sugar, Carbs and way over on Fat as well. I would suggest mixing it up more. It looks like almost everything in the diary for Thursday is processed. Try more lean meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, etc.

Also make sure you are weighing your food. Add weights to your routine as well.

Are you doing spin classes or just using the spin bike on your own? If so try a class.
  • April_220
    April_220 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your weight loss, then you should change some of those cardio sessions to weight training. Weight training will increase your calorie burn while you are exercising and for hours after you exercise. It will also change your shape more than just doing cardio.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    April_220 wrote: »
    If you want to increase your weight loss, then you should change some of those cardio sessions to weight training. Weight training will increase your calorie burn while you are exercising and for hours after you exercise. It will also change your shape more than just doing cardio.

Weight training does not burn a lot of calories and the "after burn" is minimal.

You do not even have to exercise, you just need to be in a calorie deficit, and sure the spinning is good for overall health benefits, but it is all about the calorie deficit.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    A bit dissapointed - I thought I would melt away! I am 55 with, with 35 lbs to lose. I am still not eating clean though - too much bread and carbs and sugar - but just under 1500 a day. I think I burn about 250 calories every session! I have been doing this for two months (around 10 sessions a week). There is a calorie reading on the bike but cannot be accurate as bike has not got my weight, age, etc.

Do not like joining a weightloss club but thinking about Slimming World!

Can you please advise!

Most of your breakfast calories have come from Belguim Chocolates??? Are you loosing weight just to look good on the outside?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    April_220 wrote: »

Too many myths in your post.

CICO (take in less than you burn) to increase weight loss. Weight training is great. Cardio sessions are great.

But the weight is lost in the kitchen (the amount of calories you take in).