Any low calorie party dish?

Options
Sheriemae
Sheriemae Posts: 248
I'm going to an annual 4th of July party next weekend and I would like to find a semi-healthy recipe. I don't cook much, so please something simple. I only know how to make a few party dishes: pizza dip, drunken weenies, and deviled eggs. Though they are very good they are not the healthiest, and I always make the same things, I would like to try to make something new. Pasta, dips, deserts, any thing thats easy. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can try stuffed jalapenos. I have never made a healthy version, but you can try taking jalapenos slice them lengthwise, take out the seeds and rinse out. Fill with lowfat cream cheese, and wrap turkey bacon around them. Bake in the oven until the jalapenos are soft and bacon is crispy. Just a thought.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Buy some hummus (Athenos is a good brand), chop up your favorite vegetables and you will be good to go!:glasses:
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How about a low fat Red/White/Blue Trifle? Make a White Cake Mix with a can of diet Sprite in a 13X9 pan. You'll need 2 containers of Fat Free or Low Fat Kool-whip and blueberries and strawberries. (the amount of berries depend upon how "fruity" you want it- I usually get 2 pint containers of blueberries and a quart container of strawberries) Cut the cake into 1 inch or so squares. Layer half of the cake in a trifle bowl or a large clear bowl-(small punch bowl works too) then blueberries and sliced strawberries (1/2 of the total)- then a container of Kool-whip- then cake squares, the rest of the blueberries and strawberries and the other container of Kool-whip. "Spike" the Kool-whip into peaks..... Keep a couple whole strawberries and blueberries for garnish. You can also "melt" a lil bit of strawberry jam and drizzle on the top to make it pretty. My family loves it! :flowerforyou:
  • kathcanada
    Options
    How about veggies and dip? Buy greek yogurt, mix with lemon and dill, and serve that as a low-cal dip. Hummus is great too!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I just posted on my first blog a couple of desserts that you can make---super easy as the main ingredients come in a store bought package. Best part is that they actually taste really good! One is a fat free brownie and the other a low-fat lemon bar (I think the lemon bar would be an awesome, refreshing summer dessert).
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hummus with crudites.
  • merceah
    merceah Posts: 51
    Options
    Something I really love, along with my family is taco salsa. You take fat free taco bell refried beans, much healthier, plus great amount of protein, and a jar or pace picanti salsa which is always fat free and full of veggies, heat it all up and serve with whole wheat otilla chips or some other low fat/carb/calorie dipping item, very yummy and much healthier than most alternatives. I ate this item after i had my last baby three months ago while awaiting my gallbladder removal and it kept my energy up, made me feel good and i lost a consistant two pounds a week making this my snack item rather than junk. best of luck
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This sounds super simple and is not really a"recipe", but I always bring fruit kabobs to cookouts.

I just take plain wood skewers and thread: chunks of pineapple, honeydew, watermelon, red/green grapes, strawberries and cover the tip with a blueberry. Whip together a quick dip of plain nonfat yogurt, honey, mint and a touch of lime juice. Done!

Just wrap them in foil and transport carefully and keep on ice/ice packs.

Kids LOVE them- just don't let them impale anyone!!!