how do you calculate sushi?

Options
I went out to lunch today with a vendor and we went for sushi. I'm very good friends with the person and the two of us like to mix it up so we always get specialty rolls. The problem is, I have no idea how to calculate the calories in it. I tried the place's website which doesn't have nutrition info. I also just googled to see if i could find simething similar for another restaurant but no luck.

Anyone else out there have a hard time with this? What was your solution? How did you "guesstimate" the calories?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    heb sushi is the best way...sushiya is the name. they have a ton of diff. choices!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. After the first 3 or 4 times, I brought some take home orders, separated out the ingredients, and weighted them and created a new food.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    we make our own sushi, so i usually can create my own. I have been lazy in the past and i will over-guesstimate each ingrediante i ate and add it to the diary seperately. best thing to do.....weigh each thing before you eat it. take it home next time...
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I just use the calorie counts from what's in MFP. When you are logging your food just type in the type of rolls you had and it should have the nutritional info.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    I make my own, so you should just figure out how much of what ingredients there are. It usually consists of rice, avocado, sour cream, imitation crab meat, and sea weed.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately taking it home wasn't an option in this case....and who wants to take the sushi apart before you eat it?

Most of what I've found on google is for the simple rolls (california, alaska, etc.) but for the specialty rolls its nowhere to be found.

I'll try the sushiya site.
    thanks!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately taking it home wasn't an option in this case....and who wants to take the sushi apart before you eat it?

I only pulled it apart ONE time :D
    And only one slice from each roll. Then I multiplied by the number of total slices.