Beating myself up a little bit- any advice?

Options
Hey everyone,

For the past 2 months I've been seeing great results from working out and eating right, but I have to say my social life has definitely suffered from it. I've become a little paranoid about going out because I feel like i'll give into temptation too easily whether it's from bad food or having 1 too many drinks....so I've avoided it. HOWEVER.....I am going out tonight with a really good friend I havent seen in ages, I want to have a few drinks (sticking to vodka, soda with a dash of cranberry) and enjoy a good meal. I've worked out every day this week, doing 2 hours workouts on Tuesday, Wednesday, I did personal training this morning and I'm doing a zumba class before I go out this evening. I also plan on doing a 2 hour zumba master class at 2pm tomorrow and a double workout on Sunday.

Am I being paranoid thinking one night of going out an enjoying myself (in moderation) is going to, not necessarily cause me to fall off the bandwagon but undo some of the results I've seen or cause the scale to go up a few days? I keep going back and forth on this, telling myself i'm being to hard myself, and then spinning it around to you've come this far don't mess it up now with one night?

Any advice on balancing this out? I'm probably being completely paranoid, but I guess I'm just a little scared since it's taken me so much effort to get to where I am at the moment.

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You are being too hard on yourself! Go out and enjoy the night! Take a b-complex with a glass of water when you get home and drink plenty of water the next day to flush out the sodium.

HAVE FUN!!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think you're being paranoid.

I've done this a couple of times, without working out as much as you, and did see my weight spike back up a few pounds - but it's GOT to be water retention, because it's an instant 6 pounds for me (and I drink beer when I go out and "have a good time"). Then, a couple of days eating below cal goal, exercise, and LOTS OF WATER and I'm back on track.

I think you're prepared, you're aware and having fun intentionally, and you have a plan.

You'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    You have to be able to live your life. It's ok to have a little fun. I do it all the time and I still (slowly) lose my weight. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Its all about balance and moderation....this is life. Ask yourself, do you want to live being paranoid? Recognize that all those hours of hard work cannot be compromised by one night out. Learning how to live healthy I think, is more than knowing you have to exercise and stick to a calorie target- it's also about learning to achieve a happy state of balance.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    ya relax and enjoy you wont ruin anything
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For me this is a life style change, not a hitting a weight loss goal. Someday you'll need to go out and hang with friends and be with people other than exercise buddies!!! Live you life!!!!!!! You've made several changes, are conscious of the fact that your choices can effect your body, but you are doing things to counter balance them. Naturally we are all going to over do it at one point whether it is a night out, holiday,vacation, whatever. As long as it doesn't become a daily habit, treat yourself! You sound like you have a solid head on your shoulders and I'm sure everything will be super!!!!! Enjoy yourself! Don't dwell on things and ruin a good night!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up - look at all the great prep you did for tonight and all the planning you did for tomorrow. Look at it this way, if you didn't do all that planning, you could have been sitting there out with your friend and thinking of what you'd have to do exercise-wise to work off the drinks and food that you now normally do not eat.

This happens to me every weekend. When my boyfriend and I go out, I get 10 minutes to figure out what I'm going to eat. He's patient and understand that it's important to me. If we plan to go somewhere, I look up the menu and nutrition before we go. I know what I will allow myself to eat without feeling horrible about it that night or the next morning. I also have my long runs over the weekend because I always give in to a few nachos or potato skins and beer.

Focus on why you are going tonight - you are not going out to gorge - you are going to see a friend. Make tonight about you and your friend catching up...that's the most important thing. And, if you do go over, tomorrow is another day. GO YOU with that 2 hour class!!!
  • jfox
    jfox Posts: 11
    Options
    Definately being hard on yourself. Good on you for going 2 months without "cheating" ... really it's not considered cheating, it's living. It's supposed to be a lifestyle change right? We definately need to make sacrafices to see results but once in a while, and i say at least once a week, you have to give yourself a reward. you definately deserve it and i guarantee you, if you are good for the rest of the week, the scale wont go up. Have fun!!!!! that's what it's all about :)
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You know yourself better than anyone, but I will give you this bit of wisdom that I learned:

This is a LIFESTYLE change.
    That means your lifestyle will change.
    And sometimes, not all the friends you know are on-board or are capable of being supportive of that change.
    I had friends that I just went out to eat with. Some were cool w/ me ordering a salad instead of a burger, or not getting soda, etc.
    Those that heckled me either came around, or faded away.
    I made a couple attempts to get friends to do other, active, non-food oriented things. Such as "Hey, let's go for a walk and chat" or 'Wanna do this hike/event with me?" Eventually, those that kept saying "no", went away.

BUT there is an upside! I gravitate towards those people who are living a similiar lifestyle. I try to keep people around me that aren't just "fun", but are inspiring. Fun is great - and has it's place, but those people who truly enrich your life are the ones who will stick around.

Sounds like you have a great chance to show your friend your new lifestyle! Who knows? You might inspire her to be healthier too!
  • Bofars
    Bofars Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with Heatherbelle... if you don't give yourself a break once and a while, you are more likely to fall off the wagon all together... I take one day a week, saturdays for instance, I don't work out, I don't count calories, I eat what I want... within reason... That is my reward for all of the workouts and counting the rest of the week. it's been working for me, i'm down 120lbs in 10 months and am feeling great. according to my nutritionist the scale can bounce 5 lbs in a 24hour period... I haven't seen that drastic of a jump, but have seen the rise and fall.
  • ashylove15
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a little indulgence every once in a while. Enjoy yourself tonight and get back to your routine. Just like when you need a vacation from your job sometime you need a little bit of a break from your workout routine. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you get back to your routine.
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think more than anything I just needed some reassurance. I've been so excited at the scale going down and seeing changes in my body that I'm afraid of seeing it go back up again (even if it is water weight). I think I just need to suck it up and plan to eat really well for the next few days. I definitely miss getting out and about in NYC. I didn't move out here to stay home every weekend lol!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Although I totally admire your workout dedication, if you are only doing it for this one night out, I think you should know that sometimes when we indulge a little like you mentioned, we actually lose the weight regardless. Keeping your body confused and always guessing what it will do next is the best thing! I have in the past noticed weight loss when I least expected it. SO have fun, indulge and dont worry about doubling up on exercise! I'm sure you will see weight loss next week regardless!
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Weekends are for DRINKING your calories! :)

Okay, not really, but...have fun
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You need to go and have a good time. Remember, this is about a life change, and you can't always avoid fun times with friends and family because you're too afraid the scale will move in the wrong direction. Just make sure you don't "fall off the bandwagon" as you said, and you'll be just fine. If we always deprive ourselves, we are more likely to fall off.

You know what I love to drink when I go out, and yes, I have maybe even more than 1 too many sometimes, but I love cherry vodka and diet gingerale (they can make it if they dont' have it, diet sprite with some diet coke) and it tastes so good! I've been losing weight steadily, and I have a few drinks every weekend.

One more thing to think about, I read an article on drinking alcohol and losing weight the other day and it said that when we drink, it takes whatever carbs we've eaten and turns them into fat, so my plan is that I don't eat carbs while I'm drinking, and this really seems to help. Good luck and have a GREAT TIME! :)
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options
    Agreed you are being to hard on yourself. you have to live! go enjoy your friend enjoy a meal and get back on it tomorrow..
  • ebilharz
    ebilharz Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree! I think the reason why we all want to be healthy is to feel genuinely good about ourselves - happy, glowing, confident --deserving of being the happiest we can be! And being social is an important part of feeling great. It sounds like you're already conscious of your decisions, so just enjoy! If you do end up going overboard, then you'll do better the next day; but you'll find that those slip-ups occur less and less often as you continue loving your healthy lifestyle. Indulgences are normal, and socializing is important! Have fun!
  • alex_marie85
    Options
    It's okay to treat yourself! If you don't and you deprive yourself of little luxuries you'll get into a nasty cycle of deprivation than ends up in bingeing.

So go out, enjoy, just do it all in moderation!
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options
    I agree with Heatherbelle... if you don't give yourself a break once and a while, you are more likely to fall off the wagon all together... I take one day a week, saturdays for instance, I don't work out, I don't count calories, I eat what I want... within reason... That is my reward for all of the workouts and counting the rest of the week. it's been working for me, i'm down 120lbs in 10 months and am feeling great. according to my nutritionist the scale can bounce 5 lbs in a 24hour period... I haven't seen that drastic of a jump, but have seen the rise and fall.

Awesome job on the weight loss..you should definitly listen to him..
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Oh just GO FOR IT! If you haven't done this for 2 months YOU DESERVE IT! Especially with all the extra working out you're doing. Just tell yourself that you're allowed and entitled to indulge yourself once in a while because it's your LIFE and you need to LIVE it!

And remember, it takes an EXTRA 3500 calories to gain a pound, so unless you're planning on eating a whole cow, covered in butter and rolled in marshmallows, one night is not going to make or break you! :0)