F/5'6'' - 198 to 182, a 4-year story of ups & downs. Slightly NSFW, lady in underwear! ;)

Options
Z9dTzVn.jpg

NhIQPIM.jpg

The "before" photos are from January of 2012, my last semester of undergrad. At nearly 200 pounds, I was tired, depressed, lacked motivation, and had a strong taste for beer & pizza. The after photos are from yesterday morning.

In spring of that year 2012, I found Keto, and later on, I ventured into Paleo. I lost approximately 30 pounds through low carb dieting alone. It was fantastic.

In May 2013, I got married. I weighed in just under 165lbs on my wedding day and was so ecstatic. Unfortunately, I didn't have quite as much motivation after the honeymoon to keep up with my exercise & paleo routine. I started having a few too many margaritas after work each day. Work got stressful. I tried on and off to keep up with my routine, and did just enough to keep a big weight-gain at bay. But then...

In July 2014, my then-husband (now EX) told me he didn't love me anymore and wanted to divorce. What?! After just over a year of being married, I was faced with being single and also recently unemployed.

I moved in with my parents shortly after and just wallowed. I wallowed and wallowed and wallowed. I ate a lot and drank a lot of high-calorie, high-alcohol beer without much care, and slowly packed the pounds back on.

Fast-forward to early January 2016. I was finally in a good, healthy mental spot. I was dating someone great (still am!) and had just been accepted to graduate school. I decided it was time, once again, to jump back on the wagon and get myself under control.

Since then, I've started lifting weights 3-4x a week, and have been training to run a sub-30 minute 5k. I haven't actually lost a bunch of weight according to the scale, by my clothes are getting looser and looser, and I feel stronger every single day. I drink way less, track my calories, and love the feeling of being much more in control of myself than I have been in a long time. Working out and eating well is starting to feel more & more like a natural part of my lifestyle, rather than a big change I've made to get to some end point. Especially with weight lifting - I love it, and I don't think I'll ever stop!

It's been a heck of a journey but there's no slowing me down :) I definitely have these community posts to help keep me motivated and inspired to push forward, as well, so cheers to all of you on here. Stay amazing! <3

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Awesome job and thank you for sharing your story. I too lost a bunch and then gained some back and am committed to getting back there!
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's great that you aren't focusing on the scale number alone, it can be deceiving! You can definitely see what big changes losing 16lbs. has made. You are doing great!
  • ostava
    ostava Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy when I read stories like yours...the weightloss, accompanied with newfound direction and most importantly peace ! I wish u all the best! Thanks for sharing!
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    Looking great!
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You look great! Glad you are back in a good place in your life. :)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!!!
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My heart sank for you at the sad part of your story. I'm so glad that you are ok mentally as well as physically. Sometimes you just have to 'pick yourself up shake yourself off and start all over again' ( meant in a singy voice) my singing is crap, but I wish you every success or the future whatever it holds. X
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Good job-make sure this time your "why" is stronger than before then no external events will be able to derail you.

What does the tattoo say? can't read it.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep doin this for yourself! You're on the right path
  • pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a well rounded approach. Keep it up!
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! wtg :)
  • grapejelly03
    grapejelly03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, very similar to my story. Congrats!
  • meganpaige1989
    meganpaige1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    What does the tattoo say? can't read it.

Thanks for your kind words! And the tattoo says, "Give up on all hope for a better past"

• meganpaige1989
    Options
    Awesome job and thank you for sharing your story. I too lost a bunch and then gained some back and am committed to getting back there!

Thanks for your comment! I feel like a lot of us have some big up and downs in our weight loss. Just gotta keep trying :)
  • meganpaige1989
    Options
    Tisa76 wrote: »
    It's great that you aren't focusing on the scale number alone, it can be deceiving! You can definitely see what big changes losing 16lbs. has made. You are doing great!

Thanks so much! :D
  • meganpaige1989
    Options
    ostava wrote: »
    I'm so happy when I read stories like yours...the weightloss, accompanied with newfound direction and most importantly peace ! I wish u all the best! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind words :blush:
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This hit home for me in A LOT of ways. Not the same bad circumstances, but similarly bad. I just got to the part where I am not wallowing anymore. You are an inspiration. It was a wonderfully beautiful gift for you to share your story. I am rooting for you!
  • meganpaige1989
    Options
    seepersaud wrote: »
    Looking great!

Thanks!
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, your body looks very good, very healthy.
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! So glad your in a good place now!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!