Protein

Options
Is to much protein a bad thing? Someone said if you eat too much you'll gain weight. Like today I went over by 25 grams. Is that awful?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it comes down to calorie intake. You will gain weight if you eat too much of ANY macronutrient.

But as far as having too much protein? You'd really really have to try, and you might experience kidney problems, gout, etc. But i'm talking about a really really excessive amount here.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You gain weight if you eat too many calories, consistently, over time. Too much protein without going over your calorie goal means nothing. Pushing to eat excessive amounts of protein is unnecessary.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Excess energy is stored as body fat.

Energy is measured in calories.

Worry about calories in regards to gaining fat.

If "to much" protein takes you in to a surplus of calories, then yes, that's bad in regards to fat loss. If not then it's all good.
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I'm doing good with my calories but been going over my protein but not on purpose. Today was a lot cause I had chicken for lunch and dinner and a protein shake this morning. But wasn't sure how horrible it was for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You do not have to fret the macros that much. Eating enough or more than enough fat or protein is good :)
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight is when you consume to much calories. Protein has nothing to do with it. 25 grams of protein is nothing, you actually need more! I recommend 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Many people go for 1 gram per pound of body weight though. :D
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Occasional overage not a problem.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about protein if you're not doing a Keto diet. Some people on those diets are careful not to overdo the protein because they believe that excess protein can be stored as glucose and they are trying to achieve solely fat burning. Maybe that's where you heard about too much protein??