Eating healthfully with allergies

Options
I'm trying to eat better but am struggling a bit. I have allergies that really restrict my choices. Any suggestions?

Allergies include: peanuts (not tree nuts) and mushrooms. Sensitivity to artificial red coloring. Restricted from yogurt and most fish (salmon is ok).

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you can eat and enjoy in moderation
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That's not really that restricting. Try not being able to eat wheat, corn & soy & several pollen allergies that limit fresh fruits & vegetables due to OAS.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I cannot eat shellfish, wheat, rye, barley, soybeans (and most derivatives, but soy lecithin is okay), egg yolks, coconuts, mushrooms, or dark green leafy vegetables. I do eat every veggie not on that list, even ones I don't really like, every fish that tastes decent baked, or that I can "bread" with cream of rice cereal , sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and black pepper to fry for myself, lean meats, some tree nuts and carefully selected gluten free bread - some of them have way too much sugar and fat added to improve the taste. I'd rather bake and eat my own cookies, thank you. Edit to add I also eat a lot of yogurt and oatmeal based granola.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Red food coloring is in SO many things. I also have issues with it and some other intolerances and a few true allergies. I read all ingredient lists and buy lots of whole food items and make things from scratch.

I can't even have raw celery anymore :'(. I seem to be okay with small amount of cooked.