Eggplant

Options
hdatres
hdatres Posts: 635 Member
Does anyone have any eggplant recipes? It's kind of cheap where I live right now and it's low cal. with the family of seven, I would really like to incorporate it in our meals......... Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love to grill it with other veggies. I also like caponata. It is good hot, cold, as a side, over protein, over pasta. I follow Rachael Rays recipe. I put a link below. I have not made the pasta bake so I can't give you a review on that.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/caponata-pasta-bake-recipe.html

• hdatres
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I love to grill it with other veggies. I also like caponata. It is good hot, cold, as a side, over protein, over pasta. I follow Rachael Rays recipe. I put a link below. I have not made the pasta bake so I can't give you a review on that.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/caponata-pasta-bake-recipe.html

Awesome, thank you
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    moussaka, parmigiana, ratatouille, caponata, babaganoush, moutabal, stewed in tomatoe sauce
  • scrap
    scrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love it roasted in slices then use it in wraps as a base layer. It takes the place of mayo or other fatty sauces. Also cube it and add to low cal soups.
  • Judymnelson
    Judymnelson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ive always liked Egg Plant Parmesan. Its pretty easy to make but I don't have the recipe on me. Good luck
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Before you cook eggplant in any receipe, you may want to salt your sliced eggplant and let it sit to "sweat" out some of the bitter flavor (10 minutes is plenty), then dab dry with a towel. I don't generally find eggplant bitter, and usually I'll omit this step.

Grilled eggplant planks (i.e., cut length-wise so they don't fall through the grate), brushed with olive oil, and topped with your favorite herbs (e.g., oregano, thyme) is simple and delicious.

I make a faux eggplant parmesan that is easy and lower calorie by grilling or broiling eggplant (no breading), then topping with a good tomato/spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan, and baking in the oven until the cheese starts to brown.

Baba ghanoush is good: again, grill or broil your eggplant, but a bit longer, so it gets smoky (and you'll want to remove the skin for this recipe). Process the flesh (or just mash with a fork if you like a chunkier consistency), with lemon juice, tahini, and garlic, with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add olive oil, or drizzle it over the top.

I like yu shang (garlic or fish-fragrant) eggplant-- basically you cut the eggplant in thumb-size pieces and stir-fry, then add a wonderfully complex hot-salty-sweet-sour sauce made from soy sauce, vinegar, hot bean paste (or you can use chili garlic sauce, or whatever hot sauce you have on hand), a little rice wine (or sherry, or even regular wine, or omit if you prefer), sugar, salt, cornstarch, and toasted sesame oil. Cook until it thickens.

You could always stuff it like you would a bell pepper, but I would cook it until it's somewhat soft first, because undercooked eggplant is not very pleasant.
  • hdatres
    Options
    Well, I didn't realize he could do so much with egg plant
  • afigirl86
    afigirl86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eggplant pizza! Replace the dough with eggplant. Slice about 1/2 inch thick, little salt/pepper/coconut spray and bake for a few mins at 350. When you pull them out too with whatever you want like mini pizza. Then put back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese.

Also eggplant basil chicken it delicious.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/chicken-stirfry-with-eggplant-and-basil/rcp-20049855
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    eggplant lasagne .....yummmmmmm replace the noodles with eggplant :)
  • td9330
    td9330 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a good baked eggplant parmesan recipe. https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=133524

I use Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs instead of plain breadcrumbs and only use a tiny bit of garlic powder
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yu xiang qie zi
    Fish fragrant Sichuan eggplant
  • Tamijennelle
    Tamijennelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Back in egypt theres a good recipe called mousa'aa....
    Eggplants, cut in thick strips
    Potatoes cut in thick strips
    Red bell pepper in thick strips
    3 cloves garlic
    Red onion sliced
    Ghee
    Lemon
    Vinegar
    Cumin
    Salt
    Tomato sauce, small can

Sautee garlic, potatoes, peppers, and red onions on med with 1 spoonfull ghee. When they get dry, add some water.
    Add salt and cumin so the spice melts and isnt grainy. If you add after eggplant, it wont mix well and you risk mushing the eggplt up.
    Add eggplant.
    Simmer for about 10 mins covered.
    Add lemon, 2 tbsp vinegar and sauce.
    Cook 10 mins or until its thickened
    Put on high blast of heat and stir about a minute to get that good flavor.

You can add olives on top. I hate olives