Running tips?

Options
I have started running again. I usually get out for a run about 4 times a week, and I am finally ready to start working on speed. I currently run at a ten minute mile pace. Most of my runs are about 3 miles; however, I do try to get a five miler in two or three times a month. I am to the point where I am comfortable with my running, but I can't seem to get faster. Although I only expect small improvements it seems that no matter how hard I run my time stays relatively the same. This week I did finally break the 30 min plateau for two consecutive runs. I am happy with this, but I am looking for suggestions on how to improve my speed.

Replies

• Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • Tonsofun99
    Options
    I have tossed around the idea of signing up for a race. Not to sound like a cheapskate but its hard for me to embrace the idea of paying to go run. This is a good idea though, thanks.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've read about this in the past. I always refer to this article:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/5_Ways_to_Improve_Your_5K_Speed.htm
  • nlfrancis
    nlfrancis Posts: 35
    Options
    Any High Intensity Training will help with speed. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recover (walk/light easy jog) for 60 and do this for about 3 miles that will help. Eventually you will work up to 60/120's. I have known people who will sprint for a quarter to a half mile, and then jog until their heart rate recovers. Runners world has a lot of great articles online. Also, invest in a heart rate monitor - the longer you can run with your hear rate at 85-90% of your maximun the longer and faster you will be able to run.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I like Jeff Galloway a lot. Here's an article you might find helpful: http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/speed-training.html

There is a number of ways to improve your pace which may include: intervals, fartleks, increasing distance, and hill repeats.

Good luck!
  • CassieAtEatLoveFit
    CassieAtEatLoveFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem and what I did was build up some stronger leg muscles (quads, calves) and created a FITT program to increase my Cardiorespiratory Endurance (CRE). Using a heart rate monitor really helps, I think you want to get your heart to be able to withstand higher intensity for longer time so that you don't burn out so quickly.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I had to say it, but -- try some treadmill training. It'll help you feel what a faster pace is like. If it's just a matter of endurance at faster speeds, try modified intervals. "Sprint" for quarter miles, and then jog for half. It's challenging, but it really breaks up the run and improves time dramatically.

Using treadmill training with the modified intervals, I got my mile time down to a 6:52 from a 9:30, and my 3-mile time down to 24:21.

Good luck!

Check this out, too: http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-244-0-0,00.html
  • lifeinabite
    Options
    Do it for a charity you like and it adds purpose to it!! The you run and someone else benefits!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try doing some interval workouts or speedplay. For example you can go on your 3 miler and after a 5 min warm up, pick up the speed for a minute or two and then do an easy jog for 1-2 minutes and repeat that 4-5 times and add a 5 min cool down. If you do something like this at least once a week, you should start to see a difference in your pace.

Also, for some real speed, head over to your local track and do the straightaway as fast as you can 5-6 times (or more if you can handle it) and walk back to your starting position for rest.

Focusing on bringing the knees and arms up in front of you will cause your stride to shorten and quicken, and over time will impact the speed of your distance runs.

Hope that's helpful! I ran cross country and track in high school and college and coached a local track team and saw great results from doing things like this with myself or my athletes.
  • Tonsofun99
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts so far. It looks like track work may be my best bet. Doesn't sound like much fun, but nothing worth having ever comes easy.
  • Tonsofun99
    Options
    Very impressive. I usually don't get along with treadmills, but I may have to look into this. I know it seems a bit odd to not get along with a treadmill, but I have problems maintaining my stride on them. This could be because I have only run on inexpensive machines in the past.