Thigh Workouts?

Options
Anyone know of some good workouts for thigh muscles, besides Squats? My thighs are the problem area on my body and want to make sure as I lose weight my thighs are gaining a good amount of muscle. I have a bad back and knees so I can only do so many squats before I feel like the bottom half of me might break.

I got myself a knee brace and recently started lightly jogging because I thought it would help build thigh muscle, but it doesn't even feel like my thighs are getting a good workout. Instead the only part of my legs that "feel the burn" are my shins because apparently I have shin splints.

I am running properly, I stretch before and after jogging, and I have a good pair of running shoes... Any other exercises that could help me further?

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Leg press, extensions, hamstring curls.....I have bad knees and don't like squats. These old tried and true have worked for me
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It could be your form that is causing your pain. Film your form on squats and compare with YT form videos. Or post your video here and get critiques. Alternatively you may be able to use bands or a suspension system (TRX) for other moves or assistance.

You may need to develop your core as well. A weak core can cause your body to freak. Free weights help with your core stabilizers. RKC Plank is a good bodyweight move.

As for running? I can get shin pain from long strides. Try reducing your stride. I may try perfecting shorter/quicker strides and landing softer.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    It could be your form that is causing your pain. Film your form on squats and compare with YT form videos. Or post your video here and get critiques. Alternatively you may be able to use bands or a suspension system (TRX) for other moves or assistance.

You may need to develop your core as well. A weak core can cause your body to freak. Free weights help with your core stabilizers. RKC Plank is a good bodyweight move.

As for running? I can get shin pain from long strides. Try reducing your stride. I may try perfecting shorter/quicker strides and landing softer.

This...I also have a bad knee. Had surgery on it. It's all about form. If you do squats properly, they should not hurt your knees because you should be using you butt and thighs. Try the goblet squat with legs pretty wide.
    Focus your mind on your butt and thighs. If your back hurts or knees hurt, you are doing it wrong. Look on web sites to see form or ask a trainer at the gym to show you.

Good luck!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Box jumps, lunge's, leg press, leg extension, leg curl, and hip abducter.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As some have said above: by depriving yourself of the BEST exercise for your legs and your WHOLE body (squats) you're not doing yourself any favours. Obviously don't hurt yourself but explore every avenue you can so you can hopefully do squats successfully and often without aggravating your back and knees. Ex: stretch your hamstrings, hip flexors, and IT bands EVERYDAY. Roll your legs often as well. This will release tons of pressure off your lower back and knees. Again, I don't fully understand your situation so if you really can't do squats then do what others have posted as alternatives...I'm just hoping that you don't use your back and knees as an excuse because all the other "alternatives" that have been posted are about a fraction as effective as squats.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Box jumps, lunge's, leg press, leg extension, leg curl, and hip abducter.
    These are a nice variety, but I think box jumps are a more advanced plyometrics move. They take practice to be able to land softly. Maybe it would be better to do shallow vertical jumps first while learning to land softly. Practice form first in whatever you do.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can try deadlifts too, but make sure your form is good. Also a few heavier squats is usually better for muscle building than a whole bunch of low weight reps. I have bad knees, and i wear tight neoprene type knee sleeves when i squat and DL, which helps a lot.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    As some have said above: by depriving yourself of the BEST exercise for your legs and your WHOLE body (squats) you're not doing yourself any favours. Obviously don't hurt yourself but explore every avenue you can so you can hopefully do squats successfully and often without aggravating your back and knees. Ex: stretch your hamstrings, hip flexors, and IT bands EVERYDAY. Roll your legs often as well. This will release tons of pressure off your lower back and knees. Again, I don't fully understand your situation so if you really can't do squats then do what others have posted as alternatives...I'm just hoping that you don't use your back and knees as an excuse because all the other "alternatives" that have been posted are about a fraction as effective as squats.

You obviously don't have lower back problems. I don't do squats, because the pain is not worth it. You do not have to do squats to have strong legs.
  • MegSchuy16
    MegSchuy16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a torn meniscus from sports when I was 14 yrs old... There was too much damage so they removed the issue and didn't replace it with anything... so it is very uncomfortable and does cause pain. As for my back I have herniated disks in my lower lumbar from my days in drumline, which I also had surgery on when I was about 21 yrs old and then got into a car accident about 6months ago, which made it worse. I have invested in a trainer and seen him frequently and my form is proper, but I still have pain. Trust me lol I wouldn't be posting this if I hadn't thought through everything. I'm just looking for some better options.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you have knee/back issues a leg press machine is much better than standing squats also incorporate the inside and outside of your thighs I use cables with my ankle in a strap a bring my leg out to each side to strengthen then and deadlifts are good for legs as well. Cardio and jogging is only going to burn the fat around those areas no so much strengthen them but it is always good to do a few times a week atleast for health purposes!
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a treadmill or if there are hill nearby, I say try walking on some inclines!