Shake breakfast- meal replacement?

Options
What do you guys think about replacing a daily meal with a shake? Im thinking about the herbalife shake formulas, I have a tub left from months ago when I used to use the product. Sometimes I have no time to eat before going to work and I seriously need a fast breakfast I can take on the go. Any advice?

Replies

• MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Honestly for me breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I always try to eat solid foods, but always have a protein powder if need be. I usually only drink it after workouts to help with muscle repair and even when I make a protein shake I always try to eat something solid with it... Just something small.

I prefer solid food... something with a lot of protein to keep me full. I know some people plan out their meals a week ahead of time... Maybe you could do that and just grab it on the way out the door? If not... Shakes are okay, but I'd recommended maybe grabbing something small to go along with it... Whether it be a hard boiled egg or maybe some almonds. Hope this helps.
  • ysalgad2
    ysalgad2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Honestly for me breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I always try to eat solid foods, but always have a protein powder if need be. I usually only drink it after workouts to help with muscle repair and even when I make a protein shake I always try to eat something solid with it... Just something small.

I prefer solid food... something with a lot of protein to keep me full. I know some people plan out their meals a week ahead of time... Maybe you could do that and just grab it on the way out the door? If not... Shakes are okay, but I'd recommended maybe grabbing something small to go along with it... Whether it be a hard boiled egg or maybe some almonds. Hope this helps.

Yeah it helped! Thank you. I can have like a PB&J sandwich ready to take and go :) I'll think of something.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I make my own smoothies with coco powder, nut butter, greek yogurt, fruit, coconut milk and some veggie juice.
    That's like a meal, and I drink this concoction before bedtime most nights.

A friend got into herbalife, gave me some samples, then tried to recruit me into his MLM pyramid.
    No thanks to that! :o
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My sister makes an omelet the night before and eats it on the way to work in the morning.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on breakfast, but when I do need to eat something real quick to tide me over, I grab half a bagel and smear on 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • jonoc87
    jonoc87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a sandwich the night before and just eat it in the morning. Meal replacements will just give you calories while making you hungry. Protein shakes, weight loss formulas will always be 2nd best to whole foods. Good luck!
  • BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake for breakfast. Almond milk, meal replacement, protein powder and fibre mixed together. Keeps me full from 7am until 12. Everyone's individual though, you need to find what works for you. Preparation is the key to success!
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast fan. A protein shake is easy, keeps me full until lunch, and is something I'll take time for. Most often it's a protein shake for breakfast or nothing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Other than the cost of commercial products, I can't see anything wrong with a shake for breakfast if that is what you like, it keeps you full until next meal, it fits within your calories.
  • Cookiecanwin2013
    Cookiecanwin2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started today on slim fast shakes for breakfast. It was some I had too from a previous attempt to lose weight. This time around I waited until I could better control my eating habits before I started on slim fast this time.
  • AliceinRealityLand
    AliceinRealityLand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    IDK I personally like to eat a nice breakfast to kind of kick start everything. I typically saute some veggies and add an egg. Very filling and lasts me typically til lunchtime. My biggest thing with meal replacements are that a lot of them have soy in them which messes with hormones. I would say that a good quality shake is likely better than no breakfast, though so if it keeps you on track, go for it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A shake wouldn't work for me. I don't feel satisfied drinking my calories.
    You could have a hard boiled egg, banana, granola bar, sandwich, yogurt, apple, orange, muffin- all portable and not much effort.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake, purely because it keeps me full until lunch time and I cannot be bothered to make breakfast in the morning.
  • ysalgad2
    ysalgad2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really like the idea of making my own nutritious smoothie... I'll switch from smoothies to solids throughout the week and see which satisfies and energizes me the most until lunch time. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I can't keep skipping it.