Eat after 6 or not eat enough calories?????

Options
What's the rule on this? What's the right thing too?please help. I like to eat popcorn 100 calories, after dinner before I go to sleep. I'm awake until around midnight. Thoughts on what todo? I'm trying to lose as much as possible before my cruise to Hawaii!!! I know, I'm sooo excited!!! Except for the fat. I'm 43, started at 168 this year, down from 185 at my worst. Now I'm 163! I would like to get down to 145 . Thanks for help on my question, and I'm looking for for friends to support and be supported! Thanks.

Replies

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant, your metabolism doesn't just shut down after 6pm. You'll lose weight as long as you eat at a caloric deficit regardless of when you eat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm eating popcorn right now. It's 11:52. I'm still going to lose fat...yay.

Stay in a deficit, eat when you want.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Eat after six. Unless you are an elite athlete, meal timing is one of the least important things to worry about.

Even daily calorie counts are less important than weekly, weekly less than monthly, etc.
  • lisamschinella
    lisamschinella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eat after six. Unless you are an elite athlete, meal timing is one of the least important things to worry about.

Even daily calorie counts are less important than weekly, weekly less than monthly, etc.

Thank you. I'm having my po corn now
  • arditarose
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Hawaii is in a much different time zone so not eating after 6 will help but then you will gain it all back in Hawaii. :o

What?
  • lisamschinella
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant, your metabolism doesn't just shut down after 6pm. You'll lose weight as long as you eat at a caloric deficit regardless of when you eat.

Thank you all so much for responding. What's the least amount of calories you should eat a day? I'm on 1200 a day, does that sound right?
  • arditarose
    Options

Thank you all so much for responding. What's the least amount of calories you should eat a day? I'm on 1200 a day, does that sound right?

1200 is the least. It is aggressive for some and just right for others depending on your stats.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Hawaii is in a much different time zone so not eating after 6 will help but then you will gain it all back in Hawaii. :o

What?

I think he was mocking the question with a ridiculous answer. Well I hope so anyway.
  • lisamschinella
    Options
    It's still not coming off very fast but I'm going to stick to the program and hope I'm retaining water. Anyone else have this problem?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    What is your expectation for "very fast"? Expectations and reality don't always align, and sometimes that's a good thing whether it seems like it or not.
  • MichelleLea122
    Options

It's very dependent on the person. If you tell us your height, current weight, level of activity (how long/ how often you work out), and how much weight you want to lose per week, we could probably give you a decent ballpark answer.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's still not coming off very fast but I'm going to stick to the program and hope I'm retaining water. Anyone else have this problem?

What is not very fast?

And yes. I experience water retention. I retain when I ovulate, have my period, eat salty foods, high carb, after a heavy workout. So basically all the time lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What's wrong with eating after 6? I am never home before six, so if I followed that rule I could not eat dinner. I lost 95 lbs eating mostly 9-10. I always work 'til at least 7 (frequently later) and often work out after. Given that normal working times even on an 8-hour clock are until 5 or 6 and most people have a commute and cooking takes time, how does nothing after 6 even make sense?
  • arditarose
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What's wrong with eating after 6? I am never home before six, so if I followed that rule I could not eat dinner. I lost 95 lbs eating mostly 9-10. I always work 'til at least 7 (frequently later) and often work out after. Given that normal working times even on an 8-hour clock are until 5 or 6 and most people have a commute and cooking takes time, how does nothing after 6 even make sense?

I was wondering that too. I'm not even home until almost 8
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's not WHEN, it's WHAT and HOW MUCH.
  • MichelleLea122
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I was wondering that too. I'm not even home until almost 8

Weight loss myths are ridiculous. Sometimes people need to apply common sense. Like does your respiratory system stop working after 6pm? How about your circulatory system? So why is your digestive system any different...