BCAA Help & Advice Please

Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I was just wondering does anyone use BCAA? How do you know if you should be using it? How do you know when to take it? Is there anything wrong with walmart brands like muscletech? And just any other advice you may have to someone looking into it. Thanks

Replies

• LiftingLisa
    LiftingLisa Posts: 12,345 Member
    I drink a BCAA once a day. I ordered mine from BodyBuilding.com. I don't know how you should know if you should drink it. I told my personal trainer I was drinking one a day and she said that was good. I drink it on the way to the gym and during my workout and then drink a protein drink after my workout. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I only take BCAA when I work out fasted - the concept being to preserve muscle mass when performing intensive exercise. In that instance I'll take about 5-10g of the powder dissolved in a glass of water (I buy instantazed BCAA bemuse the regular stuff takes ages to dissolve).

It's a cheap supplement so if the effects are minimal I'm not that bothered.

I'm not aware of any benefits of taking BCAA in other circumstances but I'm willing to be wrong and corrected on that point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    They are expensive amino acids. If you have a protein rich diet, then, they aren't going to provide much benefit. Some see reduced muscle soreness, but if you increase potassium, sodium and magnesium, then you will see similar benefits. Personally, most supplements are junk and just not worth the money. And honestly, it should be the last thing to address.

Eric Helms has a good picture regarding prioritization for nutrition:

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I only take BCAA when I work out fasted - the concept being to preserve muscle mass when performing intensive exercise. In that instance I'll take about 5-10g of the powder dissolved in a glass of water (I buy instantazed BCAA bemuse the regular stuff takes ages to dissolve).

It's a cheap supplement so if the effects are minimal I'm not that bothered.

I'm not aware of any benefits of taking BCAA in other circumstances but I'm willing to be wrong and corrected on that point.

:neutral:
    Debatable
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    costs me £10 lasts me 3 months - pretty cheap IMHO.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    thanks everyone
  • brala90
    brala90 Posts: 16 Member
    It wont hurt
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    If your diet is protein strong, then you don't need them. This is majoring in the minors. Most people don't need them, but for some reason get sucked into buying supplements they don't need because of broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    brala90 wrote: »
    It wont hurt

It would hurt your wall for no benefit. Literally, just throwing money out the window.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I take them on a deficit intra workout. I'm pretty lean so I figure it can't hurt. Any little bit to help potential muscle loss is worth it to me.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    I use it pre and post workout.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    I take them during a workout when I'm cutting but honestly I don't think they are necessary. If I were you I wouldn't bother taking them.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I take them after my workout because it seems to reduce my muscle soreness. YMMV. I have a diagnosed autoimmune disease and am suspected to have another so my nutritional needs are different.