Protein

Can too much protein turn into fat? Or is that a myth?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Too many calories (more than you burn) will turn into fat. That is a fact. Protein is one of the main sources of calories.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Too many calories from anything will turn into fat. Your body stores excess calories as fat for the times when you can't find enough food. Biology is a power force.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    I peeked at your diary and saw that you age 3 quest bars for breakfast.
    In my area they are over $3 a piece.
    To save money, you could switch to a protein powder.
    Mine costs me .60 cents a serving with 20 grams of protein. I think 120 calories.
    Stores like walmart, target, GNC sell these.
    The powders will also have less sugar and calories for your protein amount.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Mine costs me .60 cents a serving with 20 grams of protein. I think 120 calories.

I'm fortunate enough to get them for free so price doesn't effect me haha. Thank you for the suggestion though! I definitely wouldn't pay $3 for them.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member

I would also question your method of measurement 17.6oz of chicken at lunch, you know that's around 500 grams of meat right? An average cooked chicken breast weighs less that 5oz/140grams
  • TylerWhiite

I would also question your method of measurement 17.6oz of chicken at lunch, you know that's around 500 grams of meat right? An average cooked chicken breast weighs less that 5oz/140grams

The chicken I buy has the weight on it, and it said 1.10 pounds. So I just converted pounds to ounces and that's the outcome.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    No, extra protein isn't that bad for you. Although, it can be hard on the digestive system if you don't get a lot of fiber. (alright, i'll be forward about this one-- low fiber/ high protein results in bloody poops-- obviously not good.) Also, I'd check you micronutrients intake to see if you are missing anything significantly there and look for a way to remedy that.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member

My grocery sells me boneless skinless chicken breasts that are well over a pound (raw weight, that's how I weigh and log my chicken usually) too. Some mutant, top-heavy, triple-D chickens around I guess. I would love if the chicken breasts I bought were "average" weight of 5 oz. I just spent a good chunk of time in my kitchen cutting a value package of these mutant breasts down to single serving sizes of 4-7 oz each as part of my weekly meal prep.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Walmart also has the mutant chicken breasts.
    I'm buying no hormone/ no steroids now. They are nice and small.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    tw807278 wrote: »

The chicken I buy has the weight on it, and it said 1.10 pounds. So I just converted pounds to ounces and that's the outcome.

That is a heck of a lot of chicken in one meal but I'm not one to judge. Fair play if you can get that down.

As long as your logging is accurate I wouldn't worry about excess protein, like others have said all sources of energy will convert to fat if you are in surplus of calories.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    sympha01 wrote: »

My grocery sells me boneless skinless chicken breasts that are well over a pound (raw weight, that's how I weigh and log my chicken usually) too. Some mutant, top-heavy, triple-D chickens around I guess. I would love if the chicken breasts I bought were "average" weight of 5 oz. I just spent a good chunk of time in my kitchen cutting a value package of these mutant breasts down to single serving sizes of 4-7 oz each as part of my weekly meal prep.

I did say the "average" cooked, so that is minus any water evaporated in the cooking process. I tend to avoid any brand/supplier that packages breasts over 200 grams raw, its either pumped with water or as JanetYellen states full of hormones aiding the growth of the chicken.
  • TylerWhiite
    kuftae wrote: »
    No, extra protein isn't that bad for you. Although, it can be hard on the digestive system if you don't get a lot of fiber. (alright, i'll be forward about this one-- low fiber/ high protein results in bloody poops-- obviously not good.) Also, I'd check you micronutrients intake to see if you are missing anything significantly there and look for a way to remedy that.

Fortunately my current diet is high protein/fiber, low carb, moderate fat haha.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    sympha01 wrote: »

I did say the "average" cooked, so that is minus any water evaporated in the cooking process. I tend to avoid any brand/supplier that packages breasts over 200 grams raw, its either pumped with water or as JanetYellen states full of hormones aiding the growth of the chicken.

Just wanted to clear up the misinformation. There are NO hormones allowed by the USDA or FDA in chickens. So whether you're eating organic or conventional, there are no hormones used in The production of that chicken. It's highly illegal.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yes...well actually it turns to sugar, which THEN turns to fat. :)