Back at my pregnancy weight I need help

Options
So I went to the doctor the other day for a check up. Unfortunately I'm way overweight I'm back at my 9 month pregnancy weight which is 180 I'm 5"2 and it seems to be in my belly only. I started taking b12 and one a day vitamins because I have no energy as well. And I've changed my eating as well but it's so hard especially being a busy mom of 6 and a student as well oh yeah and a wife too. I figured dancing with my kinect game would help me keep moving. Any advice on other ways to help because it hurts being like this and I'm only 35

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit over a sustained period.
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like, my name is Kandis too :) My goals are very similar to yours. I am a mom and work full time and stay super busy! Best wishes!
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi, are you breastfeeding? That uses up a lot of calories, but it also makes you hungry. Try things like switching to skim milk, low calorie margarine etc. Cut out any sugary drinks like juice and pop, and be super careful about alcohol, as it contains a lot of calories. High fiber bread and cereal has less calories, but still fill you up. I found sneaking in little changes like that help a lot. Don't deny yourself too many things or you won't be able to keep going in the long run.
    Dancing is perfect, and going for walks as well. Long walks, with the baby buggy. Get enough sleep. You need to lie down once a day. About 20 min will do you good. Lack of sleep can make you eat too much. Get the other children to help you out with the work if possible, so you can take care of yourself in between all the work. It's a perfect way to involve them and make them feel they really count. It's really worth the time to train them. Btw. Congratulations with the new baby, and with your big family.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Its as simple as eat less, move more.
    Quick lesson. Your body burns energy(calories), you give it energy(calories). If you give your body more energy(calories) than it needs it will store the excess as fat. You have been giving your body more energy(calories) than its needs over a sustained period and it stored it and that is how you got to your weight now. Now take in less energy(calories) than your body is using and it will get the additional energy it needs from your fat reserves. Do this over a sustained period of time and you will lose the fat and size. As cityruss said, create a calorie deficit over a sustained period.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit.

Eat less calories than your body requires to maintain itself and you will lose weight.

Are you breastfeeding too? Because that will affect how many calories you need.
  • Candiceremaley
    Candiceremaley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add my daughter is going to be 4 on the 16th and I did breastfeed I've been fighting the pregnancy weight for almost 4 years now but I've never been this big after I had her I was 169 to 170 at most and I could never get over the 160 hump so I'd put the weight back on but never this much
  • Candiceremaley
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Quick lesson. Your body burns energy(calories), you give it energy(calories). If you give your body more energy(calories) than it needs it will store the excess as fat. You have been giving your body more energy(calories) than its needs over a sustained period and it stored it and that is how you got to your weight now. Now take in less energy(calories) than your body is using and it will get the additional energy it needs from your fat reserves. Do this over a sustained period of time and you will lose the fat and size. As cityruss said, create a calorie deficit over a sustained period.

Thank you for the lesson in calories not to sound smart , but I am studying to be a nurse I know all of that and I've been following a strict diet it's just harder to get this weight off for some reason
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Would you mind opening your diary? We might be able to give you some tips with that.

Also, I'm a mom of three girls under five. My husband works 60 hours a week plus about 7 hours a week in travel, so I'm alone with them A LOT while I'm trying to finish up school and find a job. Most of the hours he's gone is overnight, which can make it difficult to get any sleep and make my health a priority, so I get why you're exhausted. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Until this year, I just couldn't get my baby weight to go anywhere. But this year I've lost 30#, and I really haven't exercised much. I do some Daily Burn videos here and there when I'm in the mood, and I bought a $20 pedometer from Target and just try to get in as many steps as possible for my overall cardiovascular health. But for weight loss, I just count my calories and get my deficit that way (with the help of my trusty digital food scale!).

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Thank you for the lesson in calories not to sound smart , but I am studying to be a nurse I know all of that and I've been following a strict diet it's just harder to get this weight off for some reason

It really isnt harder to get the weight off. You say you follow a strict diet but does that mean you know exactly how many calories your eating? Are you weighing all solids and logging everything you eat to make sure your numbers are accurate? Are you being consistent? Inaccuracies and inconsistencies are the only thing that make it harder to get the weight off.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Gotta commit, fully. Meal plan, shop smart. If it's something that triggers you to over indulge, don't buy it. If it's not in your house, you can't eat it. If you eat out, cut your meal in half (or what ever portion fits your calorie budget best), & have the rest for lunch tomorrow. Drink water! If you don't like plain water, add fruit, or an herbal tea bag. Play with your kiddos! Mine loves a good dance party! Spices are your friends, they can really punch up flavor, while added barely anything calorie-wise.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor check your thyroid? You are describing symptoms of hypothyroidism and anemia.
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. My 2nd boy was born may 2014 but for some reason I went from 164 in August 2015 to 191 today. My weight 2 weeks after having my 2nd was 189. I just developed this craving for sweet food and I've been having a hard time fighting it. Add me if you'd like. We can help each other and support each other
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and nanny 55 hours a day for triplets plus a second weekly babysitting job. Being blunt, cut your calories you can lose the weight. Don't make excuses. You need to take care of you before it gets worse. I am just starting to get my PPD under control, you need to put you first. If you can't get workouts in traditionally then you need to put your diet up there as important. I've lost over 60lbs got pregnant and lost all of those 50lbs again. Now going for even more of a loss then pre-pregnancy.

Like someone else said have your doctor check you thyroid and general things to make sure you don't have any other issues behind things, you said you are a nurse or studying to be so you should have an idea of what having one issue can cause weight wise.

Weigh your food, don't rely on the info on the box. I know with kids we eat things that are simple, well half the time those measurements are off by up to 20%. So if it says 100 calories it could be up to 120 calories. At 5'2 your TDEE will be lower then someone taller so you need less calories a day, so those little bits add up fast. Measuring cups and spoons are not accurate either. Cut out full fat items for lower fat options. Cheese, Milk, Dairy. Can save you hundreds of calories a day. Little things when you are smaller add up to big things.

Also you said before you had issues because you dropped weight, then gained it back after a stall? Did you adjust your intake to lower since your body needs less the lighter you get? That could have been the cause for your weight loss stall.

And as much as kids might whine, don't stock crappy foods. Keep more fruits for sweets, or other healthy snack options. Light butter popcorn, veggy sticks/chips, applesauce. You get the picture I am sure. You can make it work, it is just a bit harder when balancing multiple children and diet.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

If you know all of that, what are you hoping to find out? There's no magic spell.
  • Candiceremaley
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

If you know all of that, what are you hoping to find out? There's no magic spell.

Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong

You're eating too much.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You're eating too much.

^this. Get a food scale and weigh solids, measure liquids, and no indesciminate tasting while preparing meals/snacks. Log EVERYTHING. If you're studying to be a nurse then you must understand the simple physics involved, calories in, calories out.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Omg you basically just described me! I'm 5'2, have a 4year old and have been having issues loosing the pregnancy weight. I was down to 160lbs but am back to 180.
    My food intake isn't perfect but not bad by any means, and I'm always on my feet moving around (I have a home daycare and go to school at night) but yet I'm gaining. I'm constantly tired,like wake up tired, have headaches and sinus infections for the past few months, oh and fertility issues.
    My dr is doing a full blood workup as she suspects thyroid or pcos.
    Have you talked to your dr about this?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did your doctor check your thyroid? You are describing symptoms of hypothyroidism and anemia.

Yes...a visit to the endocrinologist might not be a bad idea.

Are you tracking EVERYTHING and creating a calorie deficit?

Are you wearing a FitBit or other step tracker? That might be a necessary reality check for how much you are really moving every day.
  • Candiceremaley
    Options
    I am counting my calories but I'm not wearing a fit bit but my phone counts my steps I carry it all the time