Night shift!

Options
89sjw
89sjw Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am returning to this due to success in the past however this time I am now working a weird work pattern (17:30 - 2 AM).

was just wondering if any of you out there work a similar pattern and the times you find eating foods that work for you and weight loss.

I have tried many aspects but can't seem to find one that fits, even just treating a day as normal from when i wake up to coming home but this doesn't seem to be wise.

one key problem also is a well stocked fridge full of fizzy drink and chocolate!, just so easy to go to, any suggestions of snacks i can replace these with that'll possibly (hopefully!) satisfy the sweet tooth also?

My work varies as i'm a photographer (weird shift i know!) photographing a range of products, at times these are small and easy to move, and other times they can be fairly large (think range cookers and american style fridge freezers!) as such working on "empty" these days can be a burden due to lugging large products about, the nature of my work sees me standing / walking most the time also so i wouldn't exactly say its a sedimentary job, Can even at times have food shoots but these are in the day!...and ever so tempting to eat whatever is being photographed!

I fit in exercise when i can but again, i can't seem to find a pattern what suits, before going to work? After work can be a pain, i have also tried getting up earlier but found this leaves me tired driving home at 2 AM with an hours commute down dark country lanes and is not an experience i want again.

Just hoping for some feedback on what people find work for them and/or suggestions.

Replies

• charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm on a night shift right now! Start 20:00 - 0745 (I work in a mental health hospital) I personally go from midnight to midnight in terms of logging food. However for exercise and gym I would personally go before a shift as I feel fresher and able to give more effort. Sounds to me you have a physically demanding job anyway so try not to get too hung up about missing a gym session here or there as its better to workout with max effort then to go everyday but feel lethargic or tired.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • 89sjw
    Options
    Midnight to Midnight is not something I have considered before and seems an excellent suggestion in fact!, will have me worrying less on a "when to eat" and to a more "what to eat" basis I think! I shall definitely give that a try and thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Good luck to yourself and once again, cheers.
  • charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No worries l! In terms of your sweet tooth try drinking diet sodas instead of full fat. And/or replace chocolate bars with fruit. But it's important to stress you can have chocolate or any junk food if it fits into your calories for the day.
  • 89sjw
    Options
    I suppose that's the joy of calorie counting eh? so long you don't creep over and junk food in moderation, it's the temptation of that comfort food at around 11 pm that just gets at you ha, i'll definitely keep in mind to not feel bad about the odd one here or there!
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda when I started this. I just can't afford the calories in my daily food budget. Make sure you bring healthy snacks.
  • katiehaley23
    katiehaley23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work nights in my rotation (nurse) and I just log midnight to midnight and it seems to work pretty well.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I strictly work nights. What I did was changed my meals from breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks to 0000-0600, 0600-1200, 1200-1800, 1800-0000, so that all my days are 24hrs regardless of when I go to sleep, wake up or work. It seems to work well for me and the 24hrs match up with my Fitbit burn.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When i work nights I tend to also log midnight to midnight. I try to eat most of my carbs later on in the shift because 1) as the night goes on I start to feel more crappy and carbs are comforting and 2) carbs before "bed" help me sleep which isn't always easy on a non circadian schedule. When I wake up I eat some protein and then try to work out in the middle of my "day" or just before going back to work.

It took me a few years to find something that works for me so experiment and take note of how you feel and what the barriers are and you will find something that works for you.
  • 89sjw
    Options
    Some fantastic suggestions here! Thanks alot people for taking your time to reply, midnight to midnight seems a common thing so will definitely be giving that a go! A 24 hour log system seems wise!

Once again people many thanks!
  • nettielouisepierson
    Options
    Wow these are great tips! I am a nurse as well and have to cover night shift during the summer. Good Luck to all and thanks <3