Post Hysterectomy Weight Lose

Options
I'm looking for anyone who has recently had a hysterectomy and is dealing with trying to lose weight! Please help!

Replies

• kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No hysterectomy, but I did have an abdominal myomectomy last August.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had one 6 years ago, including having my ovaries out. Are you gaining weight, after a hysterectomy, or trying to lose weight that you already had? Did you lose your ovaries as well? Are you on replacement hormones? How long has it been since your surgery, and are you able to exercise normally?
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this post. I'm having a hysto, my right ovary and fallopian tubes removed, along with edometrial tissue on m bowels in May.
  • lithezebra
    edited April 2016
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Glad I found this post. I'm having a hysto, my right ovary and fallopian tubes removed, along with edometrial tissue on m bowels in May.

I had that endometrial stuff too. Are you having it done laparoscopically, or with a traditional large incision? OMG, you're only 25. I am so sorry that you're going through this so young.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had one 2 months ago, laproscopic, removed uterus and tubes only due to fibroids.I'd lost weight before, and have dropped probably another 8# since. I feel amazing. So much more energy and my workouts are way better. I never realized how bad all of 'that' was making me feel. Feel free to pm or add me if you like!!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy laparoscopically too, and was exercising again, albeit slowly and dragging a cath cart, within 12 hours, because my surgeon told me to start walking as soon as I could. Having a hysterectomy had no impact on my weight at all. It was nice to be able to sneeze or cough without bracing myself for pain, and also to get relief from anemia.
  • Canadagirl99
    Canadagirl99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and had my Hysterectomy 7 weeks ago, I had everything removed including Cervix and Ovaries. It's my 3rd abdominal surgery in 3 years. The doctor said I can walk and lift light weights, so I've been doing that. But I likely need to work on my eating a lot as well. Hoping to stay committed to this!
  • Canadagirl99
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I had one 6 years ago, including having my ovaries out. Are you gaining weight, after a hysterectomy, or trying to lose weight that you already had? Did you lose your ovaries as well? Are you on replacement hormones? How long has it been since your surgery, and are you able to exercise normally?

No hormone replacement, and unable to fully exercise right now
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had it done in 2013 and I lost about 2-3 lbs during the 4 week recovery. Since I couldn't work out, I was all about strict calorie counting. I have lost about 10 more since then and maintain. I am currently 44.

Had it done Wednesday morning, up walking Thursday morning and home Friday morning. It started off as laparoscopic and ended up being an open abdomen. So I have a smiley face, the 2 holes on the side from what started off laparoscopic then my bikini cut.
  • jrbenji
    jrbenji Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy last July; large incision - everything was taken. I was put on hormone replacement and gained weight FAST on top of being heavy to begin with. I joined MFP 17 days ago and have barely looked back. The key for me is to log every. single. bite that I put in my mouth. If I go over my calories, it's okay - I log it anyway.
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bbinoa wrote: »
    I had one 2 months ago, laproscopic, removed uterus and tubes only due to fibroids.I'd lost weight before, and have dropped probably another 8# since. I feel amazing. So much more energy and my workouts are way better. I never realized how bad all of 'that' was making me feel. Feel free to pm or add me if you like!!

Well that is interesting!

I've lost weight in the past 2-3 years and I noticed a bump in my belly. I have been diagnose with a 12cm (about 5") uterin fibroid and I'm currently waiting for an appointment with a gynecologist. My appointment will be in May.

Right now, I don't know what to expect... but reading "I never realized how bad all of "that" was making me feel" is very encouraging because, yes the thing is bothersome, I feel it, I have a big bump, sometimes cramps but it's actually not THAT BAD, I'm still working out, losing weight, I feel fine. So, if I feel even better after, well, I will be a machine ! :mrgreen:

Anyway, thanks to you whom have shared already and I would appreciate anyone else who would like to share their experiences, what I can expect ? How long was the convalescence ?

• Canadagirl99
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @jrbenji I was worried that I would need HRT, but so far I'm ok, other than the occasional hot flash. I'm so thankful for all of you sharing on here!! Feel free to add me and let's support each other. I'm getting serious with tracking, in the past I track for most of the day until dinner, then I let lose. Ugh!
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had fibroids for years... thought for the longest time it was just how things were supposed to be, until the last year or two when it got really bad :( I worked out the entire time, even trained for and ran a marathon but it was really hard for me to lose weight, I was constantly run down and getting injured and the last few months before surgery I looked pregnant (like how I did when I was 4 mos or so). Turns out I was very anemic.

I had my surgery on a Friday, went home the next day. I was up and walking the next day, and was rold to walk frequently. My Dr cleared me to use a stationary bike after a couple weeks, so I would use that daily. I got cleared for all exercise, lifting etc at my one month checkup.

I've now been back to better than normal for the last few weeks. People ask how I feel and truly, it's better than I have in years! I'm 44 and feel at least 10 years younger! I truly think the fibroids, pain, anemia and just mental stress over it was keeping me really run down. I also have a flat stomach again (one of my coworkers asked if I also got a tummy tuck :wink: ). I was definitely apprehensive to have the surgery, but I'm so.glad I did!!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I had a unilateral oophorectomy back in July.
  • jrbenji
    jrbenji Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @jrbenji I was worried that I would need HRT, but so far I'm ok, other than the occasional hot flash. I'm so thankful for all of you sharing on here!! Feel free to add me and let's support each other. I'm getting serious with tracking, in the past I track for most of the day until dinner, then I let lose. Ugh!

My friend "D" (Denial) tried to tell me I would be fine without the Hormones but the hot flashes were miserable! It's good to hear they are manageable for you! Aside from that nonsense and the healing process, a hysterectomy was the best thing I've done besides have children!
  • lithezebra
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You're only 35. Are you sure you don't want HRT? You've got bones to protect. I just went off my HRT, and my brain is probably going to go straight to Hell. Being on HRT did not affect my weight.
  • Canadagirl99
    Options
    My doc said that I don't need HRT and I don't need it at this point. He said we don't need to worry about bone loss for a while as long as I keep active and exercise. But I don't want to take meds if I don't have to and I know it's hard to find the right dose. It took me years to find the right BC that didn't make me sick everyday.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No hysterectomy here, but I'm years past menopause, so I'll speak to the issue of hormones. Not everyone needs HRT; not everyone experiences very serious symptoms from loss of ovarian output. Why not wait and see whether you need it? There are pros and cons, including plusses for heart health and minuses for cancer risk. Also, hormones or no hormones, my experience here tells me that it's entirely possible to lose weight by setting the right calorie budget. Even if surgery or injury sidelines you from exercise, there's a calorie level that will enable you to keep losing weight until you can exercise again. I hope your surgery relieves all kinds of pain and disability and puts you on a path to better health and fitness!
  • acarder24
    acarder24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 39 years old and had a hysterectomy in May 2015 after struggling with endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
    I'm glad this discussion has popped up. I would like to lose 20 pounds.
  • Canadagirl99
    Options
    acarder24 wrote: »
    I am 39 years old and had a hysterectomy in May 2015 after struggling with endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
    I'm glad this discussion has popped up. I would like to lose 20 pounds.

Did you have to go on HRT after @acarder24? Also did you issues with weight gain post surgery?