Need to stop eating at work!!!

Options
kgj4105
kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
It's certainly my biggest downfall. And it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to manage, not eating for a few hours and just having something healthy at my lunch break... But I work at McDonalds of all places. I spend my shifts scooping fries and making milkshakes and frappes. And when something extra gets made - a sandwich is made wrong or an extra milkshake or sundae is made, etc etc - it's standard procedure for that item to go up for grabs. I did really well for a while a few months ago with not eating anything from work, but now I can't see how I managed that. Any ideas would be so appreciated (and no, finding another job isn't an option here, I'm just a college student trying to save ahead for inevitable expenses).

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My willpower is weaker when I'm sleep deprived, hungry, or haven't had enough protein. If the same is true for you, address that first.

Something a little harder to work with is free food. I work on retraining my brain to think about the cost of calories per serving rather than dollars.

If the free sandwiches thing happens consistently, you could plan for this and budget calories for eating one.

When I was a teenager and working at Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds the appeal of the food rapidly wore off. Hopefully this will kick in for you at some point as well.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kgj4105 wrote: »
    It's certainly my biggest downfall. And it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to manage, not eating for a few hours and just having something healthy at my lunch break... But I work at McDonalds of all places. I spend my shifts scooping fries and making milkshakes and frappes. And when something extra gets made - a sandwich is made wrong or an extra milkshake or sundae is made, etc etc - it's standard procedure for that item to go up for grabs. I did really well for a while a few months ago with not eating anything from work, but now I can't see how I managed that. Any ideas would be so appreciated (and no, finding another job isn't an option here, I'm just a college student trying to save ahead for inevitable expenses).

Well I just started working there but been a customer for years and yes I can eat at Mcdonalds and still stay within my calories. for one, do not eat anyone's "leftovers" as I call them. Learn and practice saying "No, thank you." So what if it goes in the garbage. Better than in your stomach or clogging your arteries.
    I love the parfaits: they are only 150 calories including granola. The grilled chicken patty is only 90 calories patty only. you can add that to a side salad or have slices of tomato and lettuce to make a bunless sandwich. I do this alot or I bring in my own lettuce and spinach flat out so I can have a chicken wrap with the grilled patty. THere are choices there that are under 600 calories. Don't drink the pop. Have the delicious filtered water out of the machine. That saves you calories right there. Skip the fries and ask for apple slices. Ask for no bun and no sauce on your cheeseburger or regular burger and add tomato and lettuce instead. Use the lettuce as a bun. Have a salad as is on menu. its still under 600 calories. If you must have the fries: only limit yourself to small fry with no salt added. Pretty soon, you will tire of fries. Have a egg white and ham mcmuffin. those are pretty good. Download and save the nutrition info from McDonalds so you can always know and think of the calories in the foods you will eat. It helps me to do that so I think of them as numbers that I can or cannot "afford' for that day. (I think of my daily calories as a running budget each day, like money)
    Bring your own foods sometimes. Eating McDonalds gets tiresome. Also always make sure you eat before you come to work and have that middle of shift meal planned out each day. This way the hungries wont get to you and you may eat irrationally. I like McDonalds as far as fast food goes because you can get creative with foods/meals from the ala carte section. Plus they do have some low cal/nutritious choices.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling i'm work in a small busy cafe in the UK. I eat all day long which is hard to track and at the end of the day i feel so shite that i just continue and feel worse that it leads to a full blown binge it's just an vicious cycle I'm having a real problem to cope with. so you are not alone i'm always trying to come up with ideas to stop but at moment i'm failing
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Being surrounded by free food is a tough situation. Maybe you can pick one or two of the lower calorie items and tell yourself that you can have one of those when they come up- then adjust your activity / meals to compensate? If you feel comfortable, you might also ask your coworkers to support you. I know you said finding other work isn't an option but it's worth it to talk to your school about possible work opportunities on campus. Many schools have work study positions or can help arrange a paid internship in your field. The faculty and staff of schools are there to help you- it doesn't hurt to ask! Wishing you luck and strength! :)