Food: bulking and belly fat?

Options
If I'm bulking but trying to define my abs, should I stay away from foods like yoghurt(chocolate)? Or will I burn the fat anyways in the gym?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're bulking, you are going to add fat. You don't bulk for abs. You bulk for mass and cut for abs.

And the type of food doesn't determine fat distribution (genetics do) or even the amount of fat you gain (the surplus determines that).
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to be building up your abs on the bulk through exercise. If you are worried about fat gains, you can do a slow bulk (+250 calories over TDEE) for slower gain of fat (but also slower muscle increase a well).
  • s_hossein
    s_hossein Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have any recipes that help with bulking?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

That thread has some good info on foods you can use. And while I am cutting know, a lot of my recipes come from www.mccormick.com
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    s_hossein wrote: »

Pile everything in the kitchen cupboard into a bowl, mix it together, bake in oven for 30 minutes, eat with a shovel.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

Pile everything in the kitchen cupboard into a bowl, mix it together, bake in oven for 30 minutes, eat with a shovel.

Pretty much this! Lift hard and eat everything! There is no such thing as a hardgainer...there are only people who don't eat enough!!!
  • s_hossein
    Options

Hahahahahaha okay got the message
  • s_hossein
    Options
    JayWalk39 wrote: »

Pretty much this! Lift hard and eat everything! There is no such thing as a hardgainer...there are only people who don't eat enough!!!

Thanks for helping, I'll stick to your advice..
    Im always told to be 'careful' eating certain things because I'm not going to cut after bulking

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you don't cut then your amazing abs will just be hidden under a layer of fat.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Im always told to be 'careful' eating certain things because I'm not going to cut after bulking

What's the point of bulking without cutting? My advice if you want to look good aka muscular, you have to first bulk to gain the mass, then you maintain your size for awhile and then gradually lose weight by cutting slowly. Doing this will allow to maintain muscle mass but lose fat that YOU WILL gain from bulking. Make sense? You can't just bulk and expect to be muscular looking, you'll look bigger but you'll get some fat on too. It's just a natural part of this endeavor.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    I'm an 18 year old girl so i don't know much about this.
    How long does this bulking phase take? I eat whatever I want until I reach my desired weight and then cut?
    I started off at 47 kg and now I'm stuck at 51kg
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm an 18 year old girl so i don't know much about this.
    How long does this bulking phase take? I eat whatever I want until I reach my desired weight and then cut?
    I started off at 47 kg and now I'm stuck at 51kg

No, you should find where your maintenance calories are(where you don't lose or gain weight) then add about 250-350 calories to that and recalculate every 5-10 pounds // 2-4kg.

And the length is usually when you stop feeling comfortable with yourself or when you reach 25-27% bodyfat.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

What's the point of bulking without cutting? My advice if you want to look good aka muscular, you have to first bulk to gain the mass, then you maintain your size for awhile and then gradually lose weight by cutting slowly. Doing this will allow to maintain muscle mass but lose fat that YOU WILL gain from bulking. Make sense? You can't just bulk and expect to be muscular looking, you'll look bigger but you'll get some fat on too. It's just a natural part of this endeavor.
    Yep, ^^^THIS
    The whole desire to get swole has been a true stumbling block. As I age, being big is getting trumped by a desire to be healthy.
    I realized years ago that at 5' 9", my old "Strong Guy" weight of 205 was not a healthy weight for me post age 40.
    Today, I am 30 pounds lighter and still feel too blubbery at 17% bodyfat. The recomp process has been so slow...
  • s_hossein
    Options
    How much do you think it will take for me to reach a goal like this (similar) because I'd say I have the same body type as Selena gomez but with more belly fat. So I'm skinny fat on a bulk basically
    :(imag00eeo2yw.png
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'd say I have the same body type as Selena gomez but with more belly fat.

So not like Selena Gomez at all. How long it takes you to get to where you want to be depends on a whole lot of variables that nobody can predict for you. Just do what you need to do, be patient, stick to it, and it'll happen.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    I'd say I have the same body type as Selena gomez but with more belly fat.

So not like Selena Gomez at all. How long it takes you to get to where you want to be depends on a whole lot of variables that nobody can predict for you. Just do what you need to do, be patient, stick to it, and it'll happen.

I meant the shape.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How much do you think it will take for me to reach a goal like this (similar) because I'd say I have the same body type as Selena gomez but with more belly fat. So I'm skinny fat on a bulk basically
    :(imag00eeo2yw.png

How in the world can we answer this? No one's body is that similar and you're bulking and cutting, no one knows your program...etc.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    Okay thanks guys :)