New to Community

Options
Hi fellow sojourners. I am Kim (aka Sadekay). I have been using MFP since Dec '10 but have never posted here. I began this battle in my lifelong war in November '10 at 411 lbs. Had Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Dec. I am currently at 308 whoo hoo, 1st hundred gone!! I was faithfully tracking my food until mid March then just stopped. I realized it was a very good tool for me and I really need it now that I have a lot more dietary choices so here I am. I have severe arthritis in both knees and am barely able to walk even with my walker so I REALLY need some ideas to get in some activity. If anyone has any tips to share I would be most grateful. Thanks

Replies

• shannaire
    shannaire Posts: 38
    Options
    Hiya
    Drinks as much water as you can take water to work. Eat little and often small amounts. Try n stay in the cal allowance I sometimes go over like today lol but just eat n be healthy the next day. Try and exercise. Good luck xxx
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Sweetapril75
    Options
    Hello-Just started the community today. Have been struggling for awhile with my weight due to insulin resistance caused by PCOS. I was on Metformin and lost 25 lbs after 6 months but stopped the medication after a year due to side effects. I am trying a more natural approach through diet and exercise. I am currently back up to 228lbs and hope to drop down to 160lbs. I have been feeling really bad and feel like I'm on the verge of diabetes if I don't get this under control. If anyone has any tips or has been successful on a program, please let me know. As I said, I want to lose weight without medications or surgery. So the more natural the better. Good luck to all out there, I hope we all reach our goals.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have many disabilities too. First follow doctors orders. I am going for knee replacement in a year or two once I am healthy enough for the surgery. Aside from that, there are many chair exercises and resistance bands. When I am unable to walk I use a chair exercise video. There are lots online for free. Google it :) I use weights for my arms and work hard on strengthening my coe with different exercises from PT. You can friend me if you like. And to pass on...I recently learned not to try to "keep up" with some here. I was on heat and ice for days :P
  • Sweetapril75
    Options
    Good for you keep on going =)
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Swimming is the best non-impact exercise for your knees. It's great cardio.