hey myfitnesspals :) i got a question for people who work loooooong hours….

hey guys!! long time mfp user, first time message-board poster….

i'm a fairly active individual who works out 5 times a week. i run (recovering from an injury, so i'm slowly getting back into it), i've started spinning classes and i lift/strength train with a trainer to start building muscle x3 times a week. i also do hot yoga when i can. i also stretch everyday to keep myself mobile/flexible. i also have a desk job where i'm sitting for about 10 hours a day. i've calculated that i should be consuming 2100 cals a day to accommodate my workouts (i'm in a "building" stage of my workout plan with my trainer). my macros reflect my workouts/cardio (55% carbs, 25% protein and 20% fat) but do you guys think that's too many calories? -considering i'm sitting a lot? i don't want to gain more body fat -but i don't want to lose my muscle either. and i want to make sure i still have enough energy to workout while working long hours (most of my workouts happen in the mornings). any feedback welcome :)

Replies

• Tempest07
    Tempest07 Posts: 256 Member
    Sitting long hours is always a bummer. Can you get up and move at all? Take breaks? What about standing at your desk? Elevating desk?

2100 seems alright, depends on your weight and other dimensions too. You work out a lot and even though you sit at a desk long hours you do still burn a lot from your workouts. I'd say try the 2100 for a while and see what results you get. You can always adjust up and down as things change.

Your macro percentages are good. :)

Brian
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,078 Member
    Since you've provided neither your current weight nor your goals (maintain/lose/gain weight? if lose/gain, how much total and how much per week), anybody who answers the question is just taking a shot in the dark.
  • aremigio80
    aremigio80 Posts: 6 Member
    good point @lynn_glenmont ! i'm 130lbs and i'm trying to tone up and lose body fat. i don't mind if i start gaining weight as long as my body fat starts to go down. i'm also not at my burning phase yet….
  • aremigio80
    @Tempest07 ok cool -i feel like i'm kinda on the right track. yes i do get up and get breaks. i'm planning on going for walks for 20min or so after i eat lunch too, just to get some fresh air and stretch my legs. thanks for your feedback!! :)
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    When I used to work long hours, I found creative ways to sneak in my workouts on the job.
    It wasn't like my co-workers don't play games between duties or crowd the water cooler for office gossip.
    I see exercise making me a more productive worker.
    Push-Ups here, knee bends there, chin ups outside, leg raises in my chair and 20 minutes of HIIT early in the morning right before work.
    Just make a way!
    Good Luck.. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,078 Member
    I plugged your info in at http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, assuming 60-minute moderate-intensity workouts five times a week and height of 5'5" and got a TDEE of 1801. Presumably you're working out longer or harder, since you got a higher number (but if you want to share how you calculated that number, people might be able to give you better feedback). If you find that 2100 works as maintenance over a month or more, or is a very slow rate of gain (I'd look for less than half a pound a week, because you're not going to be putting on half a pound of muscle a week), stick with that. Honestly, your weight gains for adding muscle should be small enough that over the short term, they get lost in the "noise" of normal weight fluctuations.
  • juliehiggs
    juliehiggs Posts: 2 Member
    Glad to hear others are dealing with the fitting in workouts while working long, long hours. I'm finding most success with going to the gym in the a.m. and preparing *everything* the night before for work (clothes, kitchen, meals, notes to family, pets) so that getting out the door is more likely.... Plus agree RWClary, moving during the day helps. Great to hear ideas. :-)
  • CrackerJack232
    CrackerJack232 Posts: 10 Member
    If you want to lose a little more body fat times your weight by 12 if u want to remain the same and maybe lean out more or add a bit of muscle times your weight by 15 or 16
  • CrackerJack232
    Since you're 130, if u want to lose more bosy fat bring your cals down to around 1600 and if u want to gain muscle and lose a bit of fat I'd say get about 1900 cals and if you want to build muscle just keep adding a little, like 100 cals per day a month and so on, hope this helps
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    If you want to lose a little more body fat times your weight by 12 if u want to remain the same and maybe lean out more or add a bit of muscle times your weight by 15 or 16
    Dude, your calculations were nearly identical to my own I derived through experience and learning my own body requirements.
    Well said! :)
  • aremigio80
    @CrackerJack232 @RWClary @lynn_glenmont @juliehiggs thank you so much guys!! super helpful suggestions :) maybe i'll bring down my calories a little bit and see how i feel. i feel like this is all a learning experiment anyway, but it's good to reach out to people who have already been down this road….thanks :)
  • CrackerJack232
    I'm on that road with you right now brother!!!
  • CrackerJack232
    Sorry, sister!!! Lol
  • aremigio80
    :D