out of date veg

madamrooroo
madamrooroo Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So I looked in the fridge this morning and noticed the amount of veg and how most of it was 1-2 days past its best before date. Now usually I'm quite fussy with bbd but as it's all veg, I gave it the old sniff and squeeze test. It all seemed fine (celery, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, onions). So being productive I've rinsed and chopped it all up ready to make a big batch of vegan spag bol later this afternoon. I'm the only vegetarian in my house so the plan is to freeze it until needed. Seems like a good enough plan right? Shame to waste such good veg.

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016
    Brilliant plan.....with veg I always ignore dates as long as it still looks edible. Even when they go slightly soft, peppers carrots etc I cut up and roast or turn into soup
  • pootle1972
    Just take out of plastic when you buy them and leaving in the crisper drawer until you need them checking they aren't going funky is all I do.
  • madamrooroo
    madamrooroo Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks. I tend to keep most veg in the bottom of the fridge. It's a shame no one else in my family will eat it as they are very fussy kids and hubby.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I don't use the Best By Dates on veggies as a guide - I go by their appearance. I know I've eaten carrots well past their BBD.

Wouldn't your family eat your vegan spaghetti bolognese? Veggies in pasta sauce sounds like a good way to get kids anyway to eat them.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I believe with vegetables and fruit you are your own judge. It's easy to tell if they are still edible or not.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I dont recall ever seeing a use-by date on fruit or vegetables, I just use my senses and my judgement.
    If they look good to you, then go for it.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    I've never seen a date on fruit or veg but I do only buy from the bins to select each piece personally. I never buy bagged.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    where the hell do you buy vegetables with best before dates anyways? I have never seen this.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    where the hell do you buy vegetables with best before dates anyways? I have never seen this.

My thoughts EXACTLY...
  • pootle1972
    Pre bagged have use by dates.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I dont recall ever seeing a use-by date on fruit or vegetables, I just use my senses and my judgement.
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I've never seen a date on fruit or veg but I do only buy from the bins to select each piece personally. I never buy bagged.

This^, this^, and this^. More than four decades of cooking, and I've never looked for best-by dates on fruits and vegetables, other than pre-washed bagged salad greens (and I only look at that in the store, to pick what I hope is the freshest bag). Just checked my celery, which is sold in a bag, and I don't see any date. No date on my 5-lb bag of white potatoes (well, there is a number stamped on the little plastic tab that keeps the bag closed, but it's not a number that conveys a date to the consumer). Ditto with a 2-lb package of strawberries. Obviously no dates on things that I buy loose from bins, like bananas, onions, garlic, shallots, sweet potatoes, cabbage.

Anyway, I wouldn't throw away fruits and vegetables because of a best-by date. If there are soft spots or wilty bits, you probably want to discard (although wilted stalk-type veggies can sometimes be revived by sticking the bottom in a container of cold water, and even wilted veggies can still go in soup stock or broth; just toss in freezer until ready to make stock). If there is mold, or it smells funny, or has gone slimy, discard.
  • pootle1972
    In the UK all supermarket produce that has been pre bagged has to by law have a use by sell by date.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Me neither. At first I just assumed this was an American thing, but now I'm not sure :D
    Sight, smell, touch, taste test, in that order :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    None of my produce has best by dates. I must use common sense each time I go into the fridge to eat one.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    You do realize that those dates (on fresh things like produce, bread, and dairy) are for the sellers, not the buyers, right? Those are the last dates they can sell them. On shelf items (canned, boxed, dried, etc) the dates are "best used by" and are for the buyers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    My produce doesn't have best before dates on it either.
    http://www.stilltasty.com is a useful site.
    Freezing sauce is fine.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    The micro-organisms which grow fastest on vegetables are spoilage organisms which are unlikely to cause illness. The best before on veg is calculated based on this, on not on the growth of pathogenic organisms. Therefore, if it looks fine, it's unlikely to cause illness.

This is not true for all foods, though, obviously.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i eat veg and fruit so beyond the date. If it isnt moldy im eating it.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Also best before just means that the food isn't at it's best, use by dates are the ones you need to keep an eye out for. With vegetables and fruit, I see if it's looks mouldy or just wrong, then pick it up to see if it's okay, not too squishy, then smell it, then if it's all good, taste it. If it passes the tests it all good :yum:
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    To keep celery and carrots fresh longest, I keep them refrigerated root-end-down in a container with and inch or two of water in the bottom.