WORKING OUT 4 THOSE THAT DONT WANA

Options
just do it.

i get so pumped when i walk into the gym. im like ok time to do this. i even make it competitive. for example: when im running on the treadmill and someone else comes and runs beside me i tell myself "im gonna outrun this person" they dont know im competing but i run and run and run until they run out of breath and have to walk. its a great feeling. i get compliments alot cause im a bigger guy but can run 3.5 miles on a treadmill at 3 incline and 6.0 speed. is this motivation?... i hope!

Replies

• charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just do it.

i get so pumped when i walk into the gym. im like ok time to do this. i even make it competitive. for example: when im running on the treadmill and someone else comes and runs beside me i tell myself "im gonna outrun this person" they dont know im competing but i run and run and run until they run out of breath and have to walk. its a great feeling. i get compliments alot cause im a bigger guy but can run 3.5 miles on a treadmill at 3 incline and 6.0 speed. is this motivation?... i hope!

lol, sure they don't
  • Dani_________
    Dani_________ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it is. I do the same thing :D
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not sure "just do it" is that helpful advice for those that don't want to...

I don't want to so I focus on diet over exercise. It works for me :)
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Me too. More focused on the calorie deficit thru diet than burning it off. It may be slower but it works for me.
    Have always been a non-competitive person so that gym interaction wouldn't motivate me.
    I walk on the treadmill and put in my podcasts or audio books and time my walk that way.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes, I remember when I was young and thought the most important thing was outperforming whoever happened to be around me at the moment.

Then I became older and wiser and realized the true battle never was with others, but was always only with myself. It was then that I actually made the consistent and meaningful progress necessary to reach and maintain my goals.

Best of luck on your own personal development, OP.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Then I became older and wiser and realized the true battle never was with others, but was always only with myself. It was then that I actually made the consistent and meaningful progress necessary to reach and maintain my goals.

Ah, truer words were never spoken.

I still deal with the internal battle.

And "just do it" doesn't always apply.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was never complimented when I was overweight and running on a treadmill at the gym (perhaps I was doing it wrong), but I did occasionally get dudebros who'd pick the treadmill next to mine (despite many others being free) and try to... outrun me? On a treadmill? It was good for a laugh, in any case!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

+1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    There will be many days ones will walk into the gym and say "I don't want to be here today". And then have a crappy workout. Guess what? You chalk it up to just having a bad day. It happens.
    Normally if it does it's usually due to: being tired from a long day or sleepless night, pressing issue (like from work or home) they'd rather attend to, burnt out a little.
    Recouping and taking time off is fine as long as there's intention to return soon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Ah, yes, I remember when I was young and thought the most important thing was outperforming whoever happened to be around me at the moment.

Best of luck on your own personal development, OP.

This 100%
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Wut?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    We know that you are competing.

We are not impressed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I was never complimented when I was overweight and running on a treadmill at the gym (perhaps I was doing it wrong), but I did occasionally get dudebros who'd pick the treadmill next to mine (despite many others being free) and try to... outrun me? On a treadmill? It was good for a laugh, in any case!

Yeah, this happens to me in the pool all of the time. I am old and must look beatable to the bro-dudes.

I am not. Most of them go for three or four laps and then they are out. Once a guy tried to race me every OTHER lap (he was resting in between) and he still could not do it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I only compete with myself....and done pretty well so far.

Here here. I'm not doing this for money, or fame, I'm doing it for me, so all I have to worry about is beating me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--this is funny. Thankyou for today's laugh. :D
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lol
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Yep, me too.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    just do it.

if