Skin sag.

Options
Hello everyone!
I was just wandering if someone could give me some advice I'm looking to hopefully loose 5 stone but I am so worried about getting saggy skin. What can I do to prevent this? Does anyone know if I would get sagged skin from loosing this much weight? Thanks :)

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A 70 pound loss makes it a real possibility.

It mainly has to do with how long you have carried the weight, how old you are, and your genetics (luck of the draw).

If you lose the weight and do have saggy skin you can 1) get surgery 2) gain weight back 3) decide to live with it because saggy skin isn't as bad as obesity.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and exercise, crash diets won't work, you have to give your body time to adjust. Good luck
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I lost 5 stone, i was 21 when i did it, no saggy skin. Then i put on about that again through pregnancy at 27 and then lost it all again, slight change to my skin but not saggy as such, more stretch marks and a little sag, its not bad though. I think if you do it gradually and with excersise to help with tone you will be ok.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have healthy skin too. Moisturize and make sure you're drinking your water. Your skin is more likely to bounce back if it's taken care of.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nothing you can do to prevent it.

blame genetics, how much weight you have to lose/ lost, and age.

id rather have loose skin than all the weight and fat.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

All this. And lose weight in a reasonable time frame.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I lose weight 1. slowly 2. while lifting weights and exercising and do not have issues with sagging skin. Your genetics play a role but these two things are said to help.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Exactly. Seems like a small price to pay for me.
  • kfdcem
    kfdcem Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Seriously. And I'm saying this as a person with hella loose skin after losing 130lb. I look pretty awesome with clothes on. With clothes off... well, I put my body through a lot being really fat for my whole life. These things have consequences.

Fat or thin, loose skin or not, your value as a person doesn't change. But you owe it to yourself to make healthy changes. You'll feel amazing.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You are so young! Lucky you. Don't let fear hold you back from enjoying the rest of your life at a healthier weight. I'm only half way to my goal, losing very slowly, and the only thing I regret is not getting started when I was younger!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless you are lucky you will likely get saggy skin.. you CAN conceal it with clothes easy.. but I know that may not be enough - the only option is surgery. Please don't waste your money on creams and potions that claim to solve this - they won't. Save the money for something better. I HAVE seen people who have lost a lot of weight and their skin is pretty good...even people in their 50's.. and i've also seen young people in their 20's with terrible after effects of losing so much weight. The only thing you can do is evaluate it after you've lost it all. Some women choose to bulk up more with weights to help the skin look better - but that's only good if you want to achieve that sort of muscular look.
    As everyone else said though.. slim with excess skin is so much better and healthy for you than fat.x
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The older you are the more likely skin will sag. It has to do with many factors, but largely to do with our HGH human growth hormone depletion as we age.

I am 51 have lost 70 in 7 months, starting to see some sag in places. In contrast I lost 140 lbs 14 years ago and hardly saw any sag! I've been reading a lot on this recently, and other then sales gimmicks, surgeries or expensive and timely laser/heat procedures there is nothing PROVEN to prevent it from happening. However, it doesn't mean we can't try!

Here are some things I am now doing based on interesting-but-ultimately-anecdotal-evidence I have read about. if it works great. If not, I tried! These help with weight loss and improving health too. Some of this I've done for a while, the rest I started over the last weeks.

Collagen supplements, powdered, 2x day

Biotin supplement

I eat my anti-oxidants! I use berries, Dutch cacao powder, colorful fresh veggies, chia seeds...

CoQ10

Omega 3 oils

Drink lots of water

Avoid refined sugars completely - may be one of
    the worst things we could do for aging

Avoid oxidized oils like canola, soy. (They are everywhere!)

I do 16:8 intermittent fasting as it naturally boosts HGH. (This is actually proven true)

Exercise daily, long walks. I do 3-5 miles per day.

RetinA syrum for face

(If you drink regularly or smoke, stop.)