Why is the stomach the last to go?

Options
cassej02
cassej02 Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys my name is Janet, I'm new to this and could really do with your help. I started my weight loss program last October. I exercise 3-4 times a week with high intensity cardio and strength and conditioning classes, my diet is the best it's ever been with plenty of veg and protein, I still have carbs but at the minimum. I've lost 21Ibs in total and Continue to loose weight slowly at the moment, maybe 0.5 - 1 Ib a week. I do 15 mins of abs at the end of each training session too. I'm really struggling to loose the weight around my stomach. What I really wanted this summer was those nice little lines on the abs, I thought I'd see some sort of Definition by now but there's nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I currently weight 138Ib's. Feeling disheartened after a long journey. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    People lose differently. For me its the thighs that go last.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    stomach fat is a jerk. increase cardio. elliptical def. and stair climbs
  • thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming in a day? Even if you're eating a "clean" diet of nutritionally dense veggies and lean protein, you can still be eating too many calories for your body to lose weight. You can find a TDEE calculator online to figure out what your base caloric needs are in a day. Eat less than that, and the weight will come off. If you're already doing that, then you may have simply hit a plateau. Water retention from excess sodium, hormonal fluctuations, changes in your exercise routine can fool the scale and the eye for a little while -- but if you keep on keeping on (at a caloric deficit) the weight will come off. And like others have said -- everyone loses weight in different places at different rates. For me, my upper body slimmed down way faster than my lower body.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It just depends on the body for me my stomachs starting to slim down however my thunder thighs look exactly the same way it did forty pounds ago lol
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My whole upper body goes including stomach goes first, my my thighs goes last
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yes, stomach fat is evil with nefarious plans to destroy any hope of me wearing a bikini this summer. LOL I will prevail!
  • cassej02
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @thewildair just found a TDEE calculator online thanks a mil. I'll monitor my calorie intake more
  • Matthewdouglas0
    Matthewdouglas0 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cassej02 wrote: »
    Hi guys my name is Janet, I'm new to this and could really do with your help. I started my weight loss program last October. I exercise 3-4 times a week with high intensity cardio and strength and conditioning classes, my diet is the best it's ever been with plenty of veg and protein, I still have carbs but at the minimum. I've lost 21Ibs in total and Continue to loose weight slowly at the moment, maybe 0.5 - 1 Ib a week. I do 15 mins of abs at the end of each training session too. I'm really struggling to loose the weight around my stomach. What I really wanted this summer was those nice little lines on the abs, I thought I'd see some sort of Definition by now but there's nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I currently weight 138Ib's. Feeling disheartened after a long journey. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

I know your pain. While where fat is primarily stored is as genetically determined as body height, in terms of what you can actually do about it, I am also someone who gains it first and loses it last in the midsection. I've lost about 120 pounds with about 50 more to go, and it feels like everything left to lose is smack in my midsection. I guess it could be worse though if I carried a ton of weight in my legs or extremities I'd probably not be able to exercise as well. Just keep at it and tighten up that calorie tracking.

Also, if you're looking for six pack ab definition, you should probably get a formal body fat test with a dietitian and then know that for women, generally, you will probably need to get below 20% body fat for visible abs. Good luck!
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    Unfortunately it just depends on your body! I'm 78 pounds down and have yet to lose in my arms which is unfortunate because they are almost as large as when I started at 250 pounds. But I believe these things will come off with time, even if they're the last thing to go. Keep at it and best of luck :-)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it's the first to go for me. Now my butt/inner thighs on the other hand....

anyways, where we gain and lose fat is determined by our body shape and genetics. we don't have control over that. we can only lose weight overall until we're at acceptable levels. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Yes, stomach fat is evil with nefarious plans to destroy any hope of me wearing a bikini this summer. LOL I will prevail!

Haha I concur :confounded:
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Isn't it all just to do with genetics, as in you have a whole bunch of vital organs there, that don't have protection like your rib cage and skull provide.

So a layer of fat is the next best thing.
  • cassej02
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Keep up the good work guys your doing great. Feeling determined now. 1 step at a time. Thanks for the threads and advice
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

i wore one last year. ill wear one this year.

tummy be dammed lol
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I lost my stomach oomph pretty early on, but I'm pear shaped and had to lose around 10 lbs more than my original goal weight (down to 125lbs ), to finally get my bum and hip area where I wanted them to be. You may just have to lose more weight.
  • annajaynemanvell
    annajaynemanvell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on a fitness program exercising 3/4 times a week, no carbs but protein and Veg. I had a baby 10months ago via c-section so hopefully that will go but the weight is dropping off the rest of me, my tummy is the last. Any tips?
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person. I'm face boobs stomach butt thighs
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    First on, last off for a lot of people.

Me, stomach and then thighs are last.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I carried a beer gut for close to 35 years til one of my kids ask "when it due". I came here and lost it. I committed to a lifestyle change. I have put a few pounds back on and am now losing them again. So I have tested the first on-last off model and it works perfectly. Stay with it, as you start to get close to your ideal weight, your body fat % will drop and the reduction to that stubborn area will accelerate.