The biggest thing I miss about being obese ...add yours....

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Being able to sleep comfortably without knee bones hitting each other. Had to find new sleeping positions... Same with being able to sit somewhere longer than 10 minutes without having a sore butt (and I still have some padding there, just not enough, apparently).

Not caring at all if I had a busy day and no time for a workout. Who cared about working out anyway?

And yeah, being able to eat whatever and how much I liked without feeling guilty at all. Now even if I have a 'cheat' (like special events or birthdays) when I don't care about calories, I'm perfectly aware that I'll still have to work them off sooner or later, and it does put quite a damper on things...

Mostly though, being able to enjoy eating out. Now I can't just go out for dinner if it's not planned because I won't have the calories for it, and I have to take into account calories when I order, and more often than not, it makes me frustrated because what I want probably has too many calories, and the healthier options are not appealing at all (or something I could just make at home, so why even bother going out?).

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Invisibility....strange as it sounds. And chocolate hobnobs

No, I get it my thing is that men left me alone when I'm just trying to have a drink or go grocery shopping or whatever, I miss that.

Same! Not getting hit on lol

Jesus - I'd love to have this kind of problem.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Invisibility....strange as it sounds. And chocolate hobnobs

No, I get it my thing is that men left me alone when I'm just trying to have a drink or go grocery shopping or whatever, I miss that.

Same! Not getting hit on lol

Jesus - I'd love to have this kind of problem.

& when the person, can't deal; with being rejected because that problem, comes along; with it?
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    getitamb wrote: »
    Boobs

Same!! So depressing
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Miss- Being warmer, my butt not hurting from sitting too long, being more sedentary
    The advantages of getting closer to a healthy weight completely overshadow those 3 things so I don't really miss them.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm still obese but not as much as I was and still working on it... however I would have to say I miss being able to eat whatever without worry about what was in it or how it effected my health. I am happy now, though, that I do see what is in what I eat because not doing so is why I am where I am/was.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Mostly though, being able to enjoy eating out. Now I can't just go out for dinner if it's not planned because I won't have the calories for it, and I have to take into account calories when I order, and more often than not, it makes me frustrated because what I want probably has too many calories, and the healthier options are not appealing at all (or something I could just make at home, so why even bother going out?).

This. Eating out used to be a big source of pleasure and now it's a lot less pleasurable because I know it will either come a higher cost than I want or I will have to forego eating what I really want on the menu.

Um, even as I say this, though, I realize I have learned how to enjoy lots of different kinds of foods at restaurants that are actually more satisfying than what I used to order in the past. I always wondered why I felt kind of bad after eating a huge plate of fetuccine alfredo with a side of bread! Lol.
  • Francl27
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »

This. Eating out used to be a big source of pleasure and now it's a lot less pleasurable because I know it will either come a higher cost than I want or I will have to forego eating what I really want on the menu.

Um, even as I say this, though, I realize I have learned how to enjoy lots of different kinds of foods at restaurants that are actually more satisfying than what I used to order in the past. I always wondered why I felt kind of bad after eating a huge plate of fetuccine alfredo with a side of bread! Lol.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing. I've been blown away by some things I wouldn't necessarily have picked before, and 99% of the time the high calorie stuff doesn't really appeal to me anymore anyway.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I don't miss any of it. I don't miss the pain, I don't miss the falling down from lack of balance because of the weight, I don't miss stuffing myself with food to uncomfortable levels, I don't miss not being able to find anything that fits, I don't miss the shortness of breath, I don't miss the negative feelings or attitude I had towards myself, I don't miss the health concerns... none of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I miss the fat that rounded out my kneecaps making it easier to shave.

I lost fat from my armpits, of all places, and now there's a dip in there that makes shaving so tricky!

I perpetually have 8 long hairs in each arm pit because my razor cannot cut them. I'm desperate enough to ask my husband to shave them for me.

I'm with the people who miss eating whatever and however much I wanted. I still love eating out, but everything has numbers attached instead of tastes good.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing I miss about being obese. Absolutely nothing.
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    Eating whatever I wanted without a second thought (I know that sounds bad) lol. Also, despite being so heavy my skin didn't hang the way it does today. I'm not crazy about the excess skin but it happens. Aside from that, I don't miss it. I don't miss being tired and unable to jump up, constantly sweaty and out of breathe. I was 252 pounds and miserable. So much happier and more confident now :-)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1. Not wondering if people questioned if I got to my position in life (PhD student at top university w/ excellent fellowships, etc) because I am a conventionally attractive woman. I pulled a hard-core ugly-duckling and swanned the crap out of myself. (Yes...I just made "swan" into a verb. What of it?)

2. Not having male advisors become nervous and awkward around me, or afraid of being seen as giving the pretty girl preferential treatment. They used to just treat me like "one of the guys" - a benefit of the fact that being an obese woman made me...well...not really a woman in their eyes.

3. Not having my obese mother resent the fact that I've lost 125 lbs. Not feeling helpless as I watch her eating and diabetes slowly kill her, knowing I know full well what she needs to do to change her life but being utterly and completely shut down every time and every way I try.

4. Not having to spend so much $$ on exercise clothes ;)
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am definitely happier and healthier and loving my new lifestyle though struggling with maintenance at the moment and upping calories .
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Huh? I miss absolutely nothing. I am thrilled to be pain free and able to MOVE. All else pales in comparison.
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Nothing. I don't miss any of it. I don't miss the pain, I don't miss the falling down from lack of balance because of the weight, I don't miss stuffing myself with food to uncomfortable levels, I don't miss not being able to find anything that fits, I don't miss the shortness of breath, I don't miss the negative feelings or attitude I had towards myself, I don't miss the health concerns... none of it.

I'm with these people. I love giving a care about what goes into my body and reaping all the benefits from it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Being able to sleep comfortably without knee bones hitting each other. Had to find new sleeping positions... Same with being able to sit somewhere longer than 10 minutes without having a sore butt (and I still have some padding there, just not enough, apparently).

Not caring at all if I had a busy day and no time for a workout. Who cared about working out anyway?

And yeah, being able to eat whatever and how much I liked without feeling guilty at all. Now even if I have a 'cheat' (like special events or birthdays) when I don't care about calories, I'm perfectly aware that I'll still have to work them off sooner or later, and it does put quite a damper on things...

I've never been obese, but I feel exactly these things. Well not the sleeping issue.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do miss being able to eat all I wanted without having to worry about it. Since I had WLS, that isn't even a physical possibility for me anymore. I really only miss this when I go out to eat at a nice restaurant & I can only take a bite or two of my salad & bread so that I will still have room for my steak.

I miss my rear-end. It really is less comfortable to sit for long periods of time.

I miss being warm all the time.

I miss being really strong (although I'm hoping to get that back). I used to be able to just move anything.

For those of you who can't sleep because of your bony knees, just put a pillow between them. That's what I do.

I guess now I can be grateful for my loose skin, because I can point my elbow straight up & hook that thumb into the skin near my armpit & pull it a couple inches over so I can pull those hairs out with the epilator. I can do this around my knees as well. I know you're all jealous. ;)
  • Francl27
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

I guess now I can be grateful for my loose skin, because I can point my elbow straight up & hook that thumb into the skin near my armpit & pull it a couple inches over so I can pull those hairs out with the epilator. I can do this around my knees as well. I know you're all jealous. ;)

I wonder about that actually... I have no loose skin next to my armpits and it's not particularly fat in the area either and I have no problem just pulling on the area on the side of my boob to make my armpit flatter and easy to shave. Can't everyone do that?

For the knees though, yeah it's a problem, but it's always been a problem for me as I never got that fat in my legs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Nothing here either. Absolutely nothing.

+1