Calories.....to eat more today or not....

Options
Hi all,

So its almost 10pm uk time, and im just logging all ive eaten. been super busy today so no exercise :mad: just food in.

so ive logged and only just gone above 1000 cals, where as my mfp limit is 1780. now should i try to get some more food in me before bed? My diary is open should anyone want to look at it.....

Also through the week ive been getting between 1400 and 1700 cals (is this ok or should i be getting as close to 1780 as i can be)

still fairly new at this. I just want to make sure im losing weight each week but not starving my body. Anyone got any suggestions??

thanks, sarah

8049612.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Have a small snack that's at least 200 calories. You don't want to go under 1200 if at all possible.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    im probably a bad person to ask, but i don't really understand the "eating just to eat" mentality.

if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't worry about it. if you weren't tracking your calories you would have no idea that's how many calories you ate today... and you wouldn't have eaten anything because you weren't hungry.

listen to your body. it always knows best.
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. Because you should have at least 1200 cal. a day minimum. Hope that helps. Good job on all the good eating!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry...eat....if not...I don't think that I would make myself eat....your body won't go into starvation after one day under....I would eat a little more tomorrow.....so your weeks total would be reach.....but I'm not expert......
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    looks like you could have a bit more protein! Do you have nuts or peanut butter??

p.s. LOVE saag aloo

Do try to keep cals up where they should be, but a off day won't hurt ya bad. just don't make a habit of it!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    im probably a bad person to ask, but i don't really understand the "eating just to eat" mentality.

if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't worry about it. if you weren't tracking your calories you would have no idea that's how many calories you ate today... and you wouldn't have eaten anything because you weren't hungry.

I second this. Some days I find it hard to get up to my minimum calories because of the good food choices I made and I'm also just not hungry. If you aren't hungry don't eat just so you get to the minimum. If you were good on the other days, one day is not a big deal (it won't send you into starvation mode or anything like that)
  • sarahavery
    Options
    people keep saying up my protien. what can i eat? ive had suggestions for peanut butter and nuts - but arent they high in cals? what else can i eat??
  • unlimitedin11
    Options
    nuts are high in calories but very good for you. they have several different benefits including healthy fats. you can also get protein from any time of meat...some deli meat maybe?
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    You certainly have the calories and fat to spare for a TBSP of peanut butter or a hand full of nuts (watch the sodium with those). Deli turkey and a slice of low fat cheese might be a good option. You might want to consider keeping some protein bars on hand for these moments. All of that said, there are just some days you can't eat the calories. Just don't make it a habit and I think you will be OK.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

There was a topic posted about the should you eat if your not hungry. Basically the answer is yes. Realize that the vast majority of people who are overweight have a messed up sense of when they are hungry and when they are full. That means for the vast majority of people on this site, they cannot trust the feedback their body it giving them. Yes, eventually they (and I for that matter) may learn to recognize these signals properly, but while you are relearning how to eat properly there are times when you will feel hungry, and not eat, and times when you don't feel hungry, but will eat because you need your calories.

To the original poster, I would have a nice snack, but if you don't one day won't hurt you one way or another. The problem comes when you eat very low calories for a long period of time (many days to weeks).
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the body does NOT always know best. A healthy body that has been fed reasonably for an extended period of time can be trusted, but many people don't fall into that category.

Here's a great post addressing the larger question at hand: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
  • sarahavery
    Options
    think i might just have a couple of cheeky glasses of wine instead :smile:
  • rileysowner
    Options
    As fun as wine is, I have heard, albeit not read research papers on it yet as it is not a priority for me, that alcohol because it depresses the CNS will hinder weight loss. I am sure a glass of wine now and then isn't a big deal, but it is not a good way to consume one's calories. I figure an occasional drink is fine.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

what she said. pure common sense
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    girl, where is your protein? how are you surviving?
  • rileysowner
    Options

The mentality is that those of us who are fat have a screwed up sense of when we are hungry and when we are full. That means we need to use our higher facilities (our minds and logic) to determine if we should eat when we know we need more calories.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

The mentality is that those of us who are fat have a screwed up sense of when we are hungry and when we are full. That means we need to use our higher facilities (our minds and logic) to determine if we should eat when we know we need more calories.

I understand that theory but as someone who has lost 160lbs I can tell you that most of us that are/were overweight are screwed up only in the not recognizing true hunger. We learn to eat at the slightest thought that we might be hungry and forget what hungry really feels like. If you are at 1100 calories and you are not hungry and it is time for bed why on earth would you eat something for 100 calories just to meet that magical number of 1200. I rarely make 1200. I could easily if I ate when I wasn't hungry. I usually hit just over a 1000 or around 1100 and that is AFTER I have eaten a few snacks just for the pleasure of eating them.