Any Fellow Horse Owners/Horse Lovers?

Options
HomeatWDW
HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
I was inspired by the dog walking thread to see if there are any other horse owners/lovers here. In addition to my dog and cats, I own a 19 year old Appaloosa named Figment (probably no surprise with my avatar). I boarded him pretty far from home for a few years, but now he's at a nearby barn again so one of my weight loss motivations is to get back up on him for some ride time. In the meantime, it's great stress relief just to get out there to lunge and brush him. Here are my two "rides" (Figment by my new car):

ja55seadcaxk.jpg

Replies

• berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love Appaloosas!
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    Me too! My first horse was also an Appy, although mostly pay with just some white snowflakes on his rump. Figment is definitely at the other end of the spectrum.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a 20 year old dark bay mare. We do the jumpers. Your appaloosa is adorable! My avatar is my gelding Oberon I lost last year. My mare is Phoebe. I'm in NJ. Where are you located?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I love Appaloosas!

Me too! They really are the best tasting of all the horse breeds.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    I love Appaloosas!

French or Belgian?
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 20 year old dark bay mare. We do the jumpers. Your appaloosa is adorable! My avatar is my gelding Oberon I lost last year. My mare is Phoebe. I'm in NJ. Where are you located?
    Central FL, where we're rapidly losing our horsey areas, although Ocala is still horse country. I board Figment in a rural area that's just a stone's throw from all the new high tech medical development.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I have always loved horses and was an avid rider when I was younger. I still love them and that is why I have ridden for many years. I wish them to have healthy backs. Maybe I will take up riding again some time soon.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I love Appaloosas!

I agree they have much better taste than you do.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I love Appaloosas!

I love Appaloosas!

I prefer racing horses. Make better sashimi
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I have always loved horses and was an avid rider when I was younger. I still love them and that is why I have ridden for many years. I wish them to have healthy backs. Maybe I will take up riding again some time soon.

You should! That will be motivation!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I love Appaloosas!

Nice one!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    Central FL, where we're rapidly losing our horsey areas, although Ocala is still horse country. I board Figment in a rural area that's just a stone's throw from all the new high tech medical development.

I know folks who go to Ocala each year. I went to visit a friend showing once. Quite the scene.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I know folks who go to Ocala each year. I went to visit a friend showing once. Quite the scene.

In all seriousness that is a beautiful area for horses. I don't think many people realize what's here in Florida.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    In all seriousness that is a beautiful area for horses. I don't think many people realize what's here in Florida.
    So true. I previously boarded him across the road from a state park with miles and miles of trails. People who come for the theme parks have no idea how much natural beauty isn't all that far away. At least they're starting to promote eco tourism more now, with the air boats, horseback riding, etc.
  • karenmccall7
    karenmccall7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First, your Appaloosa is beautiful. I have half Arabian half Appaloosa, named Flame. Glad to hear your horse is closer to home. What type of riding do you do?
  • Oberon21
    Options

My brother lives in FL and loves it. I like the northeast.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    So true. I previously boarded him across the road from a state park with miles and miles of trails. People who come for the theme parks have no idea how much natural beauty isn't all that far away. At least they're starting to promote eco tourism more now, with the air boats, horseback riding, etc.

That is something we don't have much of by me, trails. There is plenty I am sure in other places in NJ but I live in commutable distance to NY so overbuilt.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My first horse was an appy! I'm currently horseless, but hoping to be able to have another one day.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    First, your Appaloosa is beautiful. I have half Arabian half Appaloosa, named Flame. Glad to hear your horse is closer to home. What type of riding do you do?
    I can ride both English and Western (used to jump when I was young), so now I ride more Western style (neck reining) but using my English saddle because I like the close contact and having the horse move via leg commands; I dabble in a bit of dressage.
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love an Appy! This is my boy. He's 29 and just perfect. skuusa6yqicf.jpeg