Healthy on a Budget - Groceries you discovered

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    q92byz5mou1g.jpeg I've been buying Oikos Triple zero and Danone Light and fit because I was under the impression that there is no lower calorie vanilla Greek yogurt until one day I picked up this one!! omg 90 calories per cup and it's super delicious and way cheaper! I am now on hunt for other products that are healthy , cheap and low calorie

If you have discovered any products that aren't advertised but are much more budget friendly and just as healthy let me know

Uhh, the product pictured is not vanilla.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    By far, it is cheapest just to make Greek yogurt yourself. Takes like 5 minutes of your active time. Get an Instant Pot, be blown away.
    gravity filtration is a fun way to add "ethnicity" to regular yogurt, but the unknown nutrition content of what you lose from the filtration can be bothersome if precision nutrient tracking is needed.
    Cabbage = cheapest go to fresh vegetable, with kale coming in second; all others have to be in season or frozen to be budget friendly
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi near you, I will always recommend shopping there for healthy buys! SO cheap!
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One head of cabbage goes a long way. I like to cook it with an onion and carrots in olive oil. It's very cheap and makes me feel like my Polish great grandmother! You can play with different seasonings too- cumin and chili powder for a Mexican flavor or paprika, salt and pepper for Eastern Europe :)
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi near you, I will always recommend shopping there for healthy buys! SO cheap!
    yes - there is no Aldi here in Colorado Springs

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Homemade yogurt sounds lovely, what culture do you use ? Where can I buy the culture? I never done it ... I like the Vanilla Greek Yogurt, do you just add vanilla and sweetener ? Also do you use non fat or skim milk and how many calories is the yogurt? Sorry I know many questions but I'd love to know

Easiest starter in the world, add your store bought yogurt, a few tablespoons to your milk that has been scalded and cooled to lukewarm. Yogurt is its own starter.

You pick the kind of milk that fits your goals. If you are going low fat, then use low fat milk.

Greek yogurt is strained regular yogurt.

Yes you can add your own vanilla and sweetener.

• 24karatwoman
    24karatwoman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, Aldi's is great for low prices. Especially for produce!
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower for so many things!
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Some
    Of you suggested I should make homemade kefir, since this post I got some grains and started my kefir making journey. This was my 3rd batch and I can't seem to get creamy consistency, it's more like thin like milk with small cheese curds - tastes good but I would like it to be more like buttermilk. I use 3 tablespoons for 2 cups for 24 h and temp is 78. My question, when it's done and you strain do you mix it up with the whey again or you just strain the kefir part? Is that the problem? What am I doing wrong?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Some
    Of you suggested I should make homemade kefir, since this post I got some grains and started my kefir making journey. This was my 3rd batch and I can't seem to get creamy consistency, it's more like thin like milk with small cheese curds - tastes good but I would like it to be more like buttermilk. I use 3 tablespoons for 2 cups for 24 h and temp is 78. My question, when it's done and you strain do you mix it up with the whey again or you just strain the kefir part? Is that the problem? What am I doing wrong?

I can't do dairy so I don't know how to do dairy kefir but water kefir is fantastic and is like a flavored soda or wine cooler if you like those (depending how long you ferment it). It's also much easier to make then dairy kefir.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    You can make fresh broccoli last about a week if you cut a sliver off the bottom of the stalk when you first get it home and stand it in about two inches depth of cold water for an hour or so (usually it'll draw up quite a bit of water). Then put it in a thin plastic bag (the sort from the supermarket fruit/veg aisles that have a few air-holes punched in them) and store upright in the fridge (I use a glass in the veg drawer). The bag will get a build-up of condensation so you need to clear that a couple of times during the week so it doesn't drip onto and spoil the broccoli.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is a great, cheap, high fiber food. Also broccoli. All frozen veggies, frozen berries. Oatmeal. For meat and fish, follow the sales! Buy the whole chicken and use it for several meals, cheaper than buying so many chicken breasts
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Making sure to utilize all that I buy. Leftover meat and veggies can become soup, a quiche, an omelette, a salad topping. Save the bread butts in the freezer for croutons or bread crumbs. If there is a little peanut butter left make overnight oats right in the jar. If there's a little mayo left add some vinegar and spices and shake it up- salad dressing! Take the last bit of cereal and put it in the top of the next box. Try to throw away as little as possible. Also don't buy stuff just to try it- I used to throw away almost full boxes of crackers, chips, cookies. Now I choose the brands I know will get used. This also cuts down on the amount of junk we eat and makes the shopping trip faster and easier. Favorite cheap eat-- overripe bananas, my store sometimes gives them away for free. I peel them and freeze for smoothies or make bread, muffins or cake.
  • ellevs
    ellevs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Farro Perlato - great complex carb
    Also Protein Pasta is a great complex carb too

haha I'm bulking, so carbs are big for me right now
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Savoy cabbage...because it's cheap as green cabbage but has superior texture/crunch. 2$ a day to cover my entire vegetable budget...this + eggs + tuna + EVOO (bulk from Asian supermarket) where the foundation of my broke college student diet. Kale is also ridiculously inexpensive when bought unpacked