Too Much Water????

Options
Okay. I know water is very good for you, but is there such a thing as drinking too much water per day. I have been drinking 3 quarts of water per day. I know the minimum should be 2 quarts. I have asked another MFPer (Thanks, Sofia Little:smile: ), and she says 2 should be good. The reason why I'm asking, is because I don't want to overdo it...come on, we're all here for the same reason...to make that stupid scale move down!!! :laugh: Anyone have any thoughts about this topic??? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Okay. I know water is very good for you, but is there such a thing as drinking too much water per day. I have been drinking 3 quarts of water per day. I know the minimum should be 2 quarts. I have asked another MFPer (Thanks, Sofia Little:smile: ), and she says 2 should be good. The reason why I'm asking, is because I don't want to overdo it...come on, we're all here for the same reason...to make that stupid scale move down!!! :laugh: Anyone have any thoughts about this topic??? Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    Keep drinking!! Water helps the weight loss!
  • floresjessica
    floresjessica Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At one point, I was drinking so much water that I actually dehydrated myself. It can be done. And if you are used to drinking a lot of water, then you might need to drink an electrolyte drink when you work out, because your body won't compensate for the hydration you lose. But I was drinking around a gallon a day. I guess the saying is very true.... all things in moderation! My doctor actually told me to either drink a little less or drink Gatorade when I worked out!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The only time too much water becomes a major issue is if you are sweaty very heavily during your workouts and losing to many electrolytes. If you feel dizzy, lightheaded, etc then switch it up and drink some of the sports drinks (just beware a lot of them have a lot of sugar!)
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would really be a problem is if you fall into hypernatremia. It's a condition where excesive (and I mean EXCESSIVE) water intake results in your blood cells taking in too much liquid to balance the amount of sodium inside and outside the cells (otherwise known as homeostasis),. Excessive intake of water would then lead to the cells potentially bursting.
    I don't know too many cases of this personally, and I doubt that you've reached that point. Quite frankly, if your exercising, your lossing water anyways so you obviously need to hydrate yoruself.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you have to really over-do it to have this happen, but my husband was drinking eight 44-oz glasses of water a day, and all his joints swelled up and he was in so much pain. 64 ounces is plenty unless you are experiencing extreme heat or extreme levels of exercise/sweating.
  • briakiss
    Options
    Yes there is such a thing as drinking too much water. A woman was trying to win a game console from our local radio station and there contest was to see how much water they could drink. I forget how much she drank...i think it was only a gallon, but it was soo fast that she passed away. :noway:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    It takes a lot of water to cause serious problems, but yes there is a such thing as too much. There exists several accounts of death by water intoxication, but this usually occurs when a person drinks way too much at one time. As long as you're not gulping down multiple cups at a time, you're probably fine. 3 quarts doesn't sound like too much spread out through the day. But like other posters have said, be careful about replacing your electrolytes during/after a workout.

Here are a few articles to check out, including Wikipedia:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/134335/avoid_overhydration_what_we_can_learn.html?cat=9
    http://generalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/water_intoxication
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes there is such a thing as drinking too much water. A woman was trying to win a game console from our local radio station and there contest was to see how much water they could drink. I forget how much she drank...i think it was only a gallon, but it was soo fast that she passed away. :noway:

I heard about that..I thought it was like ten gallons or something really drastic. I also heard the radio station got sued.:noway: