So, When Does Jogging...

Options
Start to hurt less in the hips and legs LOL

Been working my way through a makeshift couch25k, been out maybe 5-6 times so far, walking on my days off and man are my hips and legs stiff and sore after. Had to take a week and a half off from it the first time as I strained my groin. It sucks to get old LOL

I've never been a runner, has anyone been in a similar situation, how long does it take to get your body in enough shape to withstand the beating from running?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good pair of running shoes?
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Start to hurt less in the hips and legs LOL

Been working my way through a makeshift couch25k, been out maybe 5-6 times so far, walking on my days off and man are my hips and legs stiff and sore after. Had to take a week and a half off from it the first time as I strained my groin. It sucks to get old LOL

I've never been a runner, has anyone been in a similar situation, how long does it take to get your body in enough shape to withstand the beating from running?

I don't have any answers for you on this one, but I will tell you that my problem is shin splints. I have tried everything in the book to prevent/stop them, and I always get them running. That's why I don't think I ever want to do a 25k.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    c25k reccomends 3X a week at first to give you a day to rest in between. Dont know how bad you are hurting, a little soreness is to be expected as you are using muscles and working muscles that have -so to speak- not seen the light of day in awhile. If you are in PAIN- stop- get well start over and GO SLOW, make sure you have good shoes and if possible run on a track not the street--if still in pain see your doc.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    My three suggestions...

1. Make sure you have good running shoes. You might look into getting fitted at a running store, but be prepared to spend around $100.

2. Stretch after your run. I usually wait 10-15 minutes post run to stretch.

3. Have something with protein within 30 minutes of your run. That helps me with just about any exercise.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good pair of running shoes?

I've been wearing a good pair of cross training shoes I have, they are fairly new and more than comfortable in everything else I do, not sure it's the shoes.

Are shoes crucial, even to a casual wanna be jogger? I'm looking to be able to complete a 5k from start to finish without stopping to catch my breath, my lungs are getting better each time out but man are my legs sore after lol
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Ice and Ibuprofin. And rest between runs.
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Honestly is sounds like you have a really old or bad pair of running shoes. You should go to an athletic shoe specialty store that specialized in running and track shoes. They will look at the shape of your foot, watch you walk and determine your 'pronating' status. They can also determine what type of shoes you need by the surface you usually run on and how often you plan on running. A really good pair of running shoes usuall ycosts me between $100.00 - $140.00. With a good pair of shoes you should feel lighter when you run and have more bounce in your step.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I still get some aches and pains after three or four months. Nothing that would stop me though. Good shoes definitely help. I went to a running store and got some recommendations and tried on several pair before deciding. You can tell them what's going on and they should be able to help out. Also try on your own adjusting your pace and posture and find a position that is maybe more comfortable to run in. Good luck!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Ditto Amy B.

Also, ice is helpful too. Ice the sore areas.

Shoes are very important. I suggest going to a running store and get fitted. It made a world of difference for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's like Lt. Dan told Forrest Gump, "Two standing orders in this platoon: One, take good care of your feet, Two, try not to do anything stupid, like getting yourself killed."

If you don't want to invest in a new pair of shoes, at very least get some good thick cushiony moisture wicking socks. I was AMAZED at what a difference good socks made for me.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sneakers are not created equal. Cross training shoes won't get you anywhere. Running shoes are your best bet. You can go to a specialty running store or just research online about overpronating, underpronating and normal pronating (the way your foot lands as you run) and figure out what kind of shoe you need and go buy it. I found out online that I need a shoe with more cushion so when I go to the Nike outlet, I just feel each shoe and see which one is thicker and has the best padding and off I go. Always run in the store though and see which is most comfortable. Or go to the running store -- they'll probably be more expensive. And yeah, it will probably hurt some body parts if you're still overweight but just push through.
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are not wanting to buy a new pair of shoes I would suggest some inserts. A guy at Finish Line told me that they have a pair that are pretty awesome. He uses them because he gets knee/leg pain after running (and with the new insets he doesn't have any pain.) If that doesn't work, a new pair of fitted shoes would definitely be the next step.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Shoes are VERY important! The right pair makes such a huge difference! I started C25K and hurt myself due to my shoes. I went to see my doctor (who is a runner himself) and he was able to help not only with the foot pains, but also with the shoe problem. I had to stop jogging to heal, but started back up 2 week ago. (I kept walking 60 mins a day while healing & managed to lose another 40 lbs.) Monday I will start C25K week 3. WOW! What a difference this time!

I make sure to stretch really well before & after I jog as per doctor's orders. Drink at least 20 oz of water immediately following and 30 mins after I have a protein shake. Not only do I feel like a freakin' rock star for getting through week 2, but my legs are starting to look like they did when I was in high school drill team & danced for 5 hours a day! :)

Good luck! Hope some of my experience could help! :happy:
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    HI! Congrats on running! It is very high impact so your body will feel it. I've completed 2 half marathons, about to do my third, and a full in Feb.

Here's my advice:
    - REST when you are sore (if you really want to work out, do something low impact)
    - SHOES can make a HUGE difference... i'm partial to asics :smile:
    - STRETCH before and after you run
    - if you're still having trouble, rest between run days

Hope this helps :happy:
  • titletown
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did no stretching before or after, but normally am always well hydrated.

Sounds like I need a new pair of shoes though ;)
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just started running this spring. Advice from fellow runners included some of the things already mentioned:

listen to your body.
    Rest when it wants to.
    Don't push yourself too hard too fast.
    Invest in shoes.

I started running at 230 lbs. I'm down to 194 now. I also had shin splints. Invested $120 in shoes from a local shoe store (Fleet Feet) whose employees watch you run either on a treadmill or outside, and advise you on shoes. They will also take them back if you don't feel a difference or are unhappy with them. After three days with the new shoes, the shin splints were gone and overall soreness decreased significantly.

At this point, I usually run three days, off one. Run 2 more, then off one. Good Luck!

2858698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    That's the problem....you are wearing the wrong shoes. You shouldn't wear cross-trainers to run in. Sorry but that's not a good shoe for any type of distance. Those shoes are great for lifting weights in the gym or even for a bootcamp.....but not running. There's your problem :)
  • titletown
    Options
    New "running" shoes did not help, hips are still sore from my run/walk yesterday.

How long does your body take to get used to running?

I sure hope I didn't just waste money on shoes I didn't need.

Grrr!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but you may not be able to run without some sort of discomfort. The shoes were not a waste, you may just need to go slower or do some conditioning first. I was a runner in high school and continued jogging in college, but at 48, I really can't do it anymore. I keep trying, but the knees and hips are not always willing. I'm now taking a different approach. I'm working out on the eliptical to improve indurance, muscle tone, etc. I'm also lifting weights and doing more leg work to strengthen the muscles around my knees. I plan to try running again, but I'm doing the previous first to be sure I'm in the best shape possible before I start. I am seeing improvement and hopefully will be able to add some light jogging within the next 8 or so weeks.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Shoes are less important than many people make them out to be (not to say that the WRONG shoes won't screw you up, but they're not the be-all and end all). Shoes cover up for a lot of mistakes people make when they run. Your knees and hips hurt. That means you're most likely striking with your heel. When you do this, it sends A) smacks your heel, which is solid bone, B) sends a shockwave up your leg bone to your knee, and jams the lower leg bone into the cartlidge padding between it and your femur. C) the shock continues up your femur, to your hip. Your hip isn't meant to absorb shock. That's the most likely reason why you're hurting where you do.

Check your form.
    Strike with the mid-front of your foot. Your knee should be slightly bent.

Try this exercise:
    Stand on the front part of your foot, with your heels off the ground. Now using only your midfoot, spring off the ground (keep your legs mostly straight). When you come back down, land on the front part of your foot again. You'll notice that lightly bent knees and landing on the front of your foot functions as a natural shock absorber.

Now try repeating it by raising your toes off the ground, and trying to jump off your heel (I can save you some time - you can't do it, because you're not meant to jump off your heel, or land on it).

Try running in a grassy area barefoot and see how that feels. Record yourself if you can. Then compare it to how you run with shoes on.

Running should not be painful. Its something our bodies are made to do. Human beings used to literally run their prey to death. Major pains associated with it usually come down to an injury, or doing something wrong.

PS: Is this just general muscle soreness, or soreness specifically in your joints?