Is the way I walk making my calves bigger?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
In my house, most of the floors are hardwood. Like my parents, I walk with heavy feet. I don't like hearing the boom boomboom when I walk so I walk on the balls of my feet.
I've heard, through a running magazine, that running this way can gain muscles in your calves, same true for walking? Is it true at all?

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Calf size seems to be very genetic. If you tend towards bigger calves, it might, but shouldn't otherwise.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It could... I know I was learning how to run on the balls of my feet and my calves and ankles were very sore... just try to walk lighter and not any particular part of your foot first on the floor.
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    Since I started walking my calf muscles have gotten very toned! I have muscles popping up on my lower leg that I didn't even knew existed. The more you work out the more defined they will get.
  • ljgraham64
    Options
    Running worked for me.I began running 10 years.I lost 45 lbs and gained firm sexy legs and calf muscles.I will help some for sure.Nothing like running out side ,and hills will really get your legs muscular.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have genetically big calves, (can never find boots to fit) but I could see how walking on the balls of ones feet would work your calves more. I can't walk that way, though, or one of my ankles gives out.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Calf size seems to be very genetic. If you tend towards bigger calves, it might, but shouldn't otherwise.

so true. my calves are almost the same size as my thighs lol. My dad has monster calves, so look around your family a little-- you will find the culprit hahaha.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've always walked on the balls of my feet. Even when I was a baby, I walked tippy-toes, earning the nickname Lorina the Ballerina. :wink:

And I have thin calves. They've bulked up a bit with running and exercise, but still slim.