Calorie amount

Options
Right, i started mfp two weeks ago and have lost 9lb so far. Shocked and amazed! My goal each week is set at 1.5lb but beofore mfp i would eat healthy, but too much. Think 10+ pieces of fruit a day, and big portion sizes, so i know a lot of the loss is from bloating.

So now i weigh 13st 2.6 or 184.6lb with a target of 10st 7 or 147lb, 5ft 5, at the moment not active (but i am getting a fitbit to more accuratly track calories burnt etc).

My calorie intake set by mfp is 1260. When i get to 12st i am going to change my loss to 1lb a week and when at 11st 7 0.5lb a week as i know it will be slow then, however im worried my calories are too low right now, as when i lose weight they keep reducing and i am not changing my loss to 1lb for another 16lb. Should i just go with the 1260 mfp sets?

Also when i get my fitbit i will eat the calories back, if i get any!

Replies

• Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    With no exercise and nothing your TDEE is about 1800-1900 calories, so I would just eat at about 1500-1600 calories and check the scale with a moving average, and reduce to maximum 1200 calories when you go through plateaus, if you need a bigger deficit I really recommend adding exercise to get the desired deficit after that.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do some exercise but am inactive the rest of the day (unemployed with no motivation to go out) but hopefully should have a more active job soon which will mean my exercise will help!
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do some exercise but am inactive the rest of the day (unemployed with no motivation to go out) but hopefully should have a more active job soon which will mean my exercise will help!

Just remember fitbits and other activity monitors got a margin of error of about 10-15% so I wouldn't eat it all back if you decide to do that. (I use a fitbit charge HR, works really great for unexpected cardio sessions)

My recommendation is that you don't eat back your exercise calories but if you are extra hungry eat 50% of what has been estimated, then you know you will still be in a deficit.

You are welcome to add me if you need motivation or support.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks will remember that!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with Densans re: calorie amount.. I am the same height as you and when I was your weight I was happily eating about 1650 per day.. as I lost weight (maybe 4 or 5lb) I would gradually reduce calories.. ie: 1650 1600 1550 etc - I didn't have to take in 1200 cals until I was very close to my goal weight of 10stone, it was at that point I also started working out - I was quite inactive up until that point and still losing weight at a nice steady rate on higher calories.