Tips for workout first thing upon waking

Options
Hi all,

I am lucky enough to live a 2 minute walk from the gym and I would really like to try get my workout in before work.

Problem is I tend to feel dizzy, nauseous and feverish EVERY morning. I assume this is something to do with blood pressure and my doc is not overly concerned and I feel fine after a couple hours. This has prevented me from even attempting a morning workout.

Any tips on this? I'd really love to get my workout done first thing so I have my evenings free come summer time. Also, the gym is so busy after work.

Thanks in advance!
Simone

Replies

• RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Is you 'feeling fine after a couple hours' based on medication you take in the morning?

Just try easing into it a see how you feel. Go one day and just do a warm up walk/set and go from there.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Can't really give you medical advice, but I felt like crap when I first started working out in the morning. After a few months I got used to it and now I'm ready to rock as soon as my alarm goes off.

• gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think your best speaking to your doctor about that. I have a routine but I don't have the physical things that you have so I'd say speak to your doctor first then see what is a safe way for you to work out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    I think your best speaking to your doctor about that. I have a routine but I don't have the physical things that you have so I'd say speak to your doctor first then see what is a safe way for you to work out.

But the OP did speak to her doctor about it?
  • frenchsimone2012
    frenchsimone2012 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you all! Yeah I did speak to my doc and she said it's normal and nothing to worry about... I do a fast walk for 30 minutes to the tube station and feel dizzy if I stop or slow down, so generally keep going at a fast pace until I'm on the train and able to sit down. I think I'll give it a go, slowly at first, and see how it goes.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Can't really give you medical advice, but I felt like crap when I first started working out in the morning. After a few months I got used to it and now I'm ready to rock as soon as my alarm goes off.

Basically.

Sometimes, it's just being up and ready when you don't want to be! That said, sometimes I get a similar sensation, but it's usually the day after a 5:2 fast day. It goes away too, but mostly I just push through it, thinking I'm going to feel nauseous anyway, I might as well do the workout anyway.

Try having a sweet cold coffee (make it the night before and stick it in the fridge)...that helps me or if I'm really, really not feeling it I'll have a banana or some OJ. Getting a bit of sugar or caffeine in my blood helps any morning nausea.

• frenchsimone2012
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »

Basically.

Sometimes, it's just being up and ready when you don't want to be! That said, sometimes I get a similar sensation, but it's usually the day after a 5:2 fast day. It goes away too, but mostly I just push through it, thinking I'm going to feel nauseous anyway, I might as well do the workout anyway.

Try having a sweet cold coffee (make it the night before and stick it in the fridge)...that helps me or if I'm really, really not feeling it I'll have a banana or some OJ. Getting a bit of sugar or caffeine in my blood helps any morning nausea.

Thanks Hell_Flower! I'm going to give the coffee tip a go tomorrow morning.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant? If not I think you should find a new doctor. You shouldn't wake up feeling dizzy, nauseous & feverish every day.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing this morning after my exercises and morning walk. I do take medications for several issues, but I think it is just a matter of my body not working out ever in the morning or anytime really. Just take it easy, when your body tells you to relax... RELAX...don't want any nasty side effects to happen. Cheers and happy exercising!
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing, try to get some sleep the night before... 8 hours is the recommended sleep for adults despite what people say. :wink:
  • frenchsimone2012
    Options
    @rybo Definitely not preggers (If I was, wind pollination between humans well and truly exists). Yeah I was thinking of booking with a different doctor or paying to go private. Not knocking the NHS but the doctors and nurses here are so overworked they often miss things in their haste to fit you in your allotted 10 minute time slot!
    @cadpro78 I'm far from fit at the moment, and often wake in the night, so that probably doesn’t help matters. Appreciate all of your advice 
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Are you pregnant? If not I think you should find a new doctor. You shouldn't wake up feeling dizzy, nauseous & feverish every day.

Agreed.

@frenchsimone2012 are you taking any medications, especially prescription or at night?
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Do you get some water in before you exercise? I wonder if you might be a bit dehydrated? I sometimes wake up feeling dizzy, not often, but before I get up I lay there and wiggle my feet, lift my legs up, kind of get the blood flowing and sit on the edge of the bed for a minute to make sure I'm not getting up too fast. I hope you get it sorted out, that's not fun to feel that way and would be good to get your exercise out of the way, I agree!