Hair Loss.

Options
I've lost about 75 pounds so far and along my journey I've notice with each shower more and more hair is falling out of my head!:cry: I usually get a good amount of protein each day and I just recently started taking vitamins.

Is there something wrong with me? or will this pass?
Help! :frown:

Replies

• vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    You should have your thyroid checked. I have hypothyroid that i take meds for. I know that having thyroid problems can lead to a lot of other issues including hair loss. A basic blood test will determine that for you :) Good luck!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Are you doing low carb? I had that happen to me when I did low carb and lost weight quickly. Are you taking vitamins?
  • NicoleMarie00
    NicoleMarie00 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You should have your thyroid checked. I have hypothyroid that i take meds for. I know that having thyroid problems can lead to a lot of other issues including hair loss. A basic blood test will determine that for you :) Good luck!!

Thank you! I will surely look into getting that done.
  • DisneyAddict23
    Options
    I have/have had the same problem. At first, I was worried about thyroid problems, but my blood test came back okay. It seems that the loss comes and goes - lately, it's been okay. Make sure that you're getting enough calories and the right nutrients. I'm contemplating a multivitamin to cover my bases and to see if that helps with the hair loss issues. Good luck! :)
  • palbiniak
    palbiniak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you should check with your doctor because it could be hormonal. The doctor can help! Also, are you taking Omega 3 supplements (flax oil, fish oil)? That might help too.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with vdavis - have your thyroid checked. My symptoms of hypothyroid were hairloss and brittle nails. If your test is negative, consult your physician to see what else could be causing your hair loss - it's not normal.

Best health to you!
  • NicoleMarie00
    Options
    Are you doing low carb? I had that happen to me when I did low carb and lost weight quickly. Are you taking vitamins?
    I'm not doing low carbs and I just recently starting taking a multivitamin.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had this happen and mine was a combo of stress and a vitamin deficiency. Blood work for thyroid can check for the vitamin thing too. In the meantime, you can get OTC Biotin, it helps restore hair (and nails!) :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Might seem like a goofy answer, but have you been wearing a ponytail more than usual, b/c you are working out? WHenever I take out my ponytail and get in the shower, I have a decent amount of hair that comes out. I think it's just b/c it can't fall out naturally like when it's down. Just a thought.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor about the same thing....she told me it was because of the rapid weight loss.....I have new baby hair coming in so she was not to worried about it....but it's been several months of massive hair loss....I went from put a rubber band around my ponytail 3 times to over 7 times!! I take Omgea 3-6-9 Complex and Biotin seems to be helping a little. Good luck!!
  • NicoleMarie00
    Options
    thank you everyone for the quick responses! I'm definitely taking all the advice!

<3