You should weigh ***lbs in 5 weeks feature

Options
AmbsBams
AmbsBams Posts: 36 Member
How accurate has that "you should weigh this much in x amount of weeks" feature been for you guys. After I log a meal it always says that I should weigh 195lbs in 5 weeks and I am just curious to see how accurate it is.

Replies

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My last go round on mfp it was pretty accurate, as long as the logging was accurate (digital scales, log *everything*)
  • AmbsBams
    Options
    Ok cool!!! That is very good to know.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For me it had never been even the slightest bit accurate. But I have never eaten the exact same thing and exercised the exact same amount for 5 weeks to test it.
  • DarthJader89
    DarthJader89 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've never had much luck with the 5 week predictions but my body likes to hold on to every pound until it's dying breath, and fluctuates every time I sneeze so I don't take it too seriously.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me it had never been even the slightest bit accurate. But I have never eaten the exact same thing and exercised the exact same amount for 5 weeks to test it.

Same here.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    All it tells me is how much I ate that day....
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It was pretty accurate when I lost my weight two years ago.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I actually put it in my calendar 5 weeks from now and when that date comes I put in whatever prediction it gives me for 5 weeks later.

So far it's on point. Not sure about this next 5 weeks as its giving me a loss of 10 pounds for 5 weeks but 10 days in I'm only down 1/2 a pound and not even close to having my period...
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much stock in it. All it does is take your day's calorie deficit and extrapolate it out five weeks. How ever many calories that is, it translates into pounds lost (3500 calories = 1 pound). Our bodies, sadly, are a little more complicated than that. Also, we don't eat the same things every day!
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Its just a guide. It will be in the ballpark, if you are consistent with your input.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    What I eat varies, what I drink and even how many calories burned .....I guess if I did everything EXACTLY the same s or those 5 weeks it may be accurate but who could do that with precision and consistency for 5 weeks without going bonkers with boredom to test it out?
    Yesterday my thing said in 5 weeks I'd weigh 211 but the day before it said 205. Big variation because I was varied in all those other factors.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    AmbsBams wrote: »
    How accurate has that "you should weigh this much in x amount of weeks" feature been for you guys. After I log a meal it always says that I should weigh 195lbs in 5 weeks and I am just curious to see how accurate it is.

It is a rough estimate based on what you currently weigh and what you ate that day and what you did for exercise.

Eat slightly more or less tomorrow, and the number will be different.

As for accuracy, during my first 16 weeks here, I was losing much faster than what it was predicting. :)

• AmbsBams
    Options
    I tend to sometimes eat the same things when trying to cut calories (lots of chicken and fish). and I try to stick to my 1200 calorie diet. I usually dont go over so my predictions ALWAYS say 195lbs so I think I may have a better chance of testing it out. I usually do the same amount of exercise too so..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Less accurate than the weather forecast for 5 weeks hence.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only way to know if it's accurate is to eat the exact same calories and do the exact same exercise for 5 weeks straight as you did "today".
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That thing is a lying <bleep>. Weight loss isn't linear, I don't pay attention to it.
  • firecrackrbaby
    firecrackrbaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    That thing is a lying <bleep>. Weight loss isn't linear, I don't pay attention to it.

Agreed. Everyone's body reacts differently to different changes.
  • TonyasLosinglt
    TonyasLosinglt Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think it's meant to be more like a bit of encouragement to keep up the good work or make some changes (depending on if you did well or did poorly). It's saying, "If you keep this up, here is where you could be in five weeks. It's up to you if you like that number or not." I've just used it as a guide to know when I'm working in the right direction.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's a simple little equation that assumes that indeed every single day will be identical to today...calories in identical and calories out identical...personally, I don't know anybody that can actually achieve that...even if you ate the exact same things and did the exact same exercise, you may be doing it at more or less intensity...and also, your just daily activity would have to be exactly the same. It also assumes that 3500 calories = exactly 1 Lb...it's a good general figure, but 3500 calories does =/= exactly 1 Lb. It also assumes you're going to lose exactly the same amount week to week and that's not how weight loss happens.

There is nothing exact about any of this so don't expect exactness. IMO, that is one of the most worthless features on MFP.
  • firecrackrbaby
    firecrackrbaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's a simple little equation that assumes that indeed every single day will be identical to today...calories in identical and calories out identical...personally, I don't know anybody that can actually achieve that...even if you ate the exact same things and did the exact same exercise, you may be doing it at more or less intensity...and also, your just daily activity would have to be exactly the same. It also assumes that 3500 calories = exactly 1 Lb...it's a good general figure, but 3500 calories does =/= exactly 1 Lb. It also assumes you're going to lose exactly the same amount week to week and that's not how weight loss happens.

There is nothing exact about any of this so don't expect exactness. IMO, that is one of the most worthless features on MFP.

Agreed.