Low Carb

Options
Hey Everyone, so I do low carb because of what I believe is a thyrooid problem (I don't have health insurance to know for sure) and I'm an apple! I think I'd like to start a group of some sort for WOMEN who also do low carb for what ever reason. Any takers? I thought it would just be a good way to share recipes, advice and encouragement.

Replies

• butturfly2021
    Options
    i just started low carb 14 days ago and have lost 7lbs...i am just doing it because i know it works....
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you consume in a day and what is a good number??? I am trying to cut my carbs too but I am a carb~o~holic!!! Good Luck!
  • lteele47
    lteele47 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am doing low card by suggestion of a trainer. I'd love a support group. I have been grilling so much lately a new recipe would be awesome!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what is a good number of carbs per day too?...
  • Lanae7
    Lanae7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I recently read a book on Low Carb and Low Sugar. The book discussed how too many carbs and sugars affect your blood sugar making weight loss difficult. I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for over a year. I have been eating healty, alot of fruits and vegetables and incorporating daily excercise. Last week, I begin eating 6 servings of carbs (5-20 grams = 1serving, 21-40 grams = 2 servings and 41-60 grams = 3servings), and the sugar intake should not exceed 16 grams per day. At first I thought it was going to be difficult, but have found it easy to accomplish. Since I began a week ago, I have lost 1.5 lbs. Not alot as I thought I was to lose more, but I will keep you all posted next week.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    Yay! I'm so glad you are all feeling the same way! I will add each of you then figure out how to do a group thing, in the mean time I am also going to do a little research on numbers as far as carbs go... I currently shoot for about 30-40 grams a day with my sugar below 20 grams.
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 135 carbs per day limit (30 carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 15 carb snacks). Originally when I started I lost about 80 pounds in the first year. (I had a very phsyical, outside job at the time and I ran 2 miles/4 days a week after work). Plus I have excessive insulin, basically eating sugar just turned into fat, so that's why my doctor put me on the diet.
  • ljgraham64
    Options
    I do great on lo carb.I am a apple shape.I look great other then my belly fat.I am trying to stick at 65 to 70 grams.
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    I am an apple shape too and after losing 16 pounds so far my hip to waist ratio is even bigger than it was!! My hips are only 35.5 (was 37) but waist is 30.5 ( was 34).. For the last week or so I'm tryng to stick to under 100 grams a day. Weigh in is Sunday so will find out if its been working or not.

I'm wary of very low carb.. I did the Atkins Diet years ago and after only 2 weeks on it I got a severe kidney infection. I was warned by a Doctor never to go that low on carbs or high on protein again. I also put on the weight once I started eating anything else!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I like low carb for the health benefits [lowered my cholesterol, lost my sugar cravings] and I tend to still lean towards eating that way, but I found I couldn't sustain the particular style I'd adopted, so I wouldn't say I eat 'low carb' now, because I do eat a fair number of carbs daily. Low carb is, after all, basically 'clean eating' ...meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds... without eating a large amount of complex carbs...grains, starches, etc. [that comparison ought to get some interesting responses!:wink: ]

You go with it and good luck to you!!

As for the hypothyroidism, there are some natural things you can take to stimulate it. Milk thistle and use iodized salt.

I would strongly urge you to save up the $ to get a diagnosis...natural dessicated thyroid medication is a lifesaver. You deserve to have the energy to live life fully.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    50% of your diet is supposed to be carbohydrates... if you are depriving your body of carbs, that is not good!!! You just have to eat the right carbs... from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.. If you are worried about eat carbs.. Just eat them before 3:00!! Please eat carbs, if you don't believe google it. 45% to 65% of your diet is supposed to be carbs... Just don't get it from sweets, sweet tea, soda's, etc..!!!!!!!!!
  • glenr79
    Options
    The average human should eat 250 grams of carbs per day! Just do it the right way!
  • glenr79
    Options
    the amount you are doing is very very bad for your body :(
  • glenr79
    Options
    the average person's diet should be 50% carbs... that is about 250 grams per day... Carbs is where the body gets it's energy. But you need to eat the good carbs... from vegetables, whole grains, whole wheat, and fruits!! I guess if you are trying to lose weight you can go down to about 175 healthy carbs... but eat them before 3 or 4 p.m.