Clean eating?

Options
kristinleah939
kristinleah939 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Over all I want to be able to eat clean and was wondering if anyone has done so and seen results faster than they would counting calories and exercising? As of right now I will start my clean eating adventure to be a healthier me and I just started fitness boot camp :). Can anyone share their stories and what helped keep them on track id really appreciate it.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    From a health perspective the notion of "clean eating" is what is sold by food lobbies as the best option - from a physical result point of view it is a matter of calories in vs calories out.
  • kristinleah939
    Options
    Oh okay I see thanks for your input:). I'll just keep tracking my calories in and out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Clean eating really means nothing, as people have different definitions of what they consider "clean". And you would still need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • longlostyeti
    longlostyeti Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Energy Balance(caloreis in and calories out) is the key. But it really depends were those calories are coming from? (protein,carbs,fats) And plus there is really nothing magical about the foods we eat we just eat too much of it, literally too much.
  • christineeong
    christineeong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried "healthy" eating instead of clean eating (I can't stand plain chicken breasts) and it's been working well for me :) but of course, that includes exercising and making sure there's a calorie deficit. I'm not sure if it's the same, but for me with healthier eating diet, my weight went down faster than expected and I feel energized the whole day.

PS: My healthy eating consists of chicken or salmon seasoned with garlic powder, paprika, onion powder etc. Sometimes I'd cook some curry chicken with greek yogurt. Stir fry spinach / broccoli / kale.. oh, and brown rice. I love brown rice!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You can still eat too much if you don't count calories. It's often a few hundred calories that makes the most difference, and that can be difficult to eyeball.

Clean eating is unnecessarily restrictive, but if you want, I guess you could start eating more whole foods.
  • asherdink07
    asherdink07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing with clean eating vs calorie counting is what you're eating. I did the calorie counting, and I did get results but gained it back with time. This time around, a friend taught me how to read labels and eat better. The one thing she told me, which, I thought she was crazy when she said this, was to NOT count calories, just read the labels, as she had taught me. A year later I'm down about 30 pounds and while my weight does fluctuate a few pounds, I've yet to gain any of the weight back.
    With the calorie counting, I was fine until I hit my limit for the day. Now, I'm more aware of what I'm eating (protein, carbs, fats) and actually eat more than I did when counting.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The processed food industry would like you to think it doesn't matter. It does. Foods from nature, close to their natural state, are far superior than those from a factory. Eggs are superior to protein bars, fruit is superior to juice, coconut oil and butter are superior to canola oil, the list goes on. Start looking into it and you will soon uncover that the less processed your food, the more benefits to your health... easier weight loss absolutely included!
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, clean eating doesn't matter. But for me I found cutting out most refined, simple carbs like bread, pasta, sweets, etc and sticking to whole grains (oats, quinoa, etc) and whole fruits, veggies, chicken, turkey, lean beef and nuts was what was really keeping me on track as far as staying satisfied and decreasing cravings and wanting to binge.
    I started my weight loss journey being fairly strict with this way of eating and was doing really well. Was satisfied and didnt feel deprived, didn't even want the sweets, bread etc. Just recently I've been splurging more/ fitting little treats in my cals and its just never enough for me and its a big trigger. I would have a mini Snickers at work and its not enough to just have one. Some can, but I can't. So for now I'll be leaving my splurges for special occasion bday cake type situations.
    Also I know "clean eating" is a pretty annoying fad/term, but I don't get why people who are just trying to eat more whole, nutrient dense foods and fewer less nutritious foods get picked apart when they come here for support. It's fine to clarify that it won't speed up or cause miraculous weight loss. But paired with calorie counting, this way of eating I think can help people like me who have... Issues with food to say the least haha.
    Also also I realize there are not "bad" foods, but for people who have issues with trigger foods and have trouble saying no once they start, refined carb type foods are about as close to "bad" as you can get.
  • luissc3388
    luissc3388 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My personal "clean eating" is when I try to substitute food with their better option; more veggies instead of potatoes, protein pasta instead of normal pasta, water instead of a sugary/sparkling drink...
  • kristinleah939
    Options
    I agree with many of u I mean everyone has there own preference I just was wonder how everyone does it.
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • stretchingreality
    stretchingreality Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and view that as "clean eating"
    For my dinner today I had deep fried battered tofu with chips and mush peas. Mmmmmm
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Over all I want to be able to eat clean and was wondering if anyone has done so and seen results faster than they would counting calories and exercising?

Weight loss is always a factor of calories in vs. calories out, though there are lots of subdivision of just what is the best to eat. In that, clean eat by most standards is cutting out processed and refined foods. But calories in and calories out STILL is what guides how much you can eat. So it isn't an either/or proposition, but simply a personal choice of what you eat.

My wife did the whole food 30 and was able to drop 7 pounds. In the same time frame I ate salads to burgers, all within my calorie deficit and managed about the same loss. The difference was, she had a lot more prep time and restriction that made it harder to stick with, where I moderated most of the time but could grab something off the shelf or at a restaurant in a pinch. To me, the most important factor of any healthy lifestyle change is, how sustainable it is. I've done shakes, low carb, and tried other changes and for me it just was not practical for my life. Others probably can do it.

Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat what most people would probably describe as "clean" most of the time...I eat primarily whole foods and some minimally processed foods...lots of veg, some fruit, whole grains, legumes, lentils, lean sourced protein, and healthy fats. I also do eat "junk" occasionally, but it's a pretty insignificant % of my diet overall.

I've been more or less in maintenance for three years and I eat this way largely because I don't log or keep a diary and it is more difficult for me to overeat doing this...but it's not impossible...I usually put on 8ish Lbs over the winter eating this way because my exercise and general activity tends to drop off a little bit with the weather. My point being that it still comes down to energy consumption and expenditure...eating the way I eat is great from a health and nutrition standpoint...but you can still overeat and you will still gain weight overeating nutritious whole foods.
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found that by avoiding processed food I could eat more, and still come in under calorie. I wouldn't say bake your own bread but I like to make my own baked beans for example. And I can eat way more with less sugar and sodium, and at a lower calorie count.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried "eating clean" for a couple of months prior to starting Weight Watchers or MFP and I GAINED. I cut out soda, processed and refined foods. Now, granted, I wasn't counting calories but I really didn't see a benefit. I was miserable because I was missing out on the foods I like. Now, I'm counting calories and enjoying the things I like most in moderation while losing, and I feel like it's a lifestyle I can maintain. Restrictions just kill any chance of success for me.