Walking with weights

Options
I changed my diet and have been walking and lost 30 pounds since January to now. I was wanting to include weights when I walk I get about 10 miles a week not sure if that is good are do. I need to walk more?

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    When I weighted 332 lbs I started walking 3 miles a day. After I lost about 50 lbs I started adding more vigorous cardio and weight training to lose another 60 lbs. I guess it depends what your goals are. If you hit a plateau you should definitely challenge yourself more. Feel free to add me.
  • koolcat6862
    koolcat6862 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use to hike with a started out with ten lbs and moved up to twenty lbs in a backpack good work out i agree if you plateau you need to challenge yourself
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 lbs... if you added some of that back with weights I don't think you'd be doing yourself a disservice and it might help maintain muscle that you'd otherwise lose since your weight loss will have made it easier to walk
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to do weights while walking, don't do hand or ankle weights. These could subject you to some serious joint issues.

Go with either a ruck of some sort, or a weighted vest.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't walk with weights, although there's nothing wrong with a weighted back pack. Why not do lifting weights on their own, follow a structured strength training programme 2 - 3 times a week. There are youtube workouts for either body weight strength training or using dumb bells - try Fitness Blender.
  • kimbrough24us
    kimbrough24us Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using a 20 pound vest for a week now when I walk. I do plan on lifting weights just to tone up. I will check out some YouTube videos my plan is to lift every other day and in between walk.
  • Tempest07
    Tempest07 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Walking with weights is alright. Good for endurance and conditioning. Will impact the knees the most so make sure you have good shoes and walk on soft terrain. I wouldn't run though. Also, if you are trying to develop more mass and strength in your legs there are several exercises that are better like weighted squats for one example.

Brian
  • kimbrough24us
    kimbrough24us Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all y'alls help. I did not want to hurt myself in the long run using weights when I walk.
  • mathes8o8
    mathes8o8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Tempest07 wrote: »
    Walking with weights is alright. Good for endurance and conditioning. Will impact the knees the most so make sure you have good shoes and walk on soft terrain. I wouldn't run though. Also, if you are trying to develop more mass and strength in your legs there are several exercises that are better like weighted squats for one example.

Brian

It can be tough on your joints he's absolutely right, one thing I've done in the past cuz I would walk with a vest before, is make sure your back can support it! It would be a good idea to wear a back brace while using the vest for the extra support because in the short term you might not realize the stress being put on your back doing that.