Tracking Vegan food

Options
stretchingreality
stretchingreality Posts: 124 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been on here for a while now and I thought I would get an opinion on my dilemma, I dont add calories for the individual food stuffs in the meals I cook (I'm lazy) so if I cook a vegan spag bol, I will just put in one of the meat spag bols on the search as there is very rarely a vegan option. Is this what you guys do?

Replies

• HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No, I will individually add ingredients or make a recipe and track the portion I ate. I feel like your approach would make things quite inaccurate. I am not just tracking calories however, I am also wanting to know how much fiber, carbs, fat, protein etc I am eating in a day so that's why I will always go for the specific items in my dish and not pick one I think is close.
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are vegan options for most popular meals in MFP. You shouldnt enter the meat version, as often quite different (especially protein) nutrients.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    What is your goal in tracking that way? To me, that wouldn't work at all, as I track my calories and macros. I put everything in individually, verify the entry is correct, and weigh and measure my food. I don't see the point of just throwing food into your journal...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in tracking if you're not going to track the food you actually eat. Seems like that would be a bigger waste of time than taking the time to track what you actually ate.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No, of course not. I log the items i eat individually and create recipes. if i eat that meal again it's already there for me to select and i know the calories are correct.

whats the point of tracking if you're not going to actually track?

P.S. Think of this... how much pasta are you actually making? What kind of sauce are you using? Don't you think the faux meats like boca/morningstar/etc. are much lower in cals than ground beef? there are too many variations for you to be WAY off.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So I've been on here for a while now and I thought I would get an opinion on my dilemma, I dont add calories for the individual food stuffs in the meals I cook (I'm lazy) so if I cook a vegan spag bol, I will just put in one of the meat spag bols on the search as there is very rarely a vegan option. Is this what you guys do?

Since I don't have much weight to lose, it would not work for me to log the way that you log. When I have a deficit of 250 calories per day, that could easily be wiped out by such inaccurate logging. Think of this example: what if I just logged "a sandwich" - it really, really matters what ingredients were on the sandwich, what the type of bread was, etc. In the same way, your spag bol can vary a lot in calories from someone else's, depending on your ingredients and the ratios of ingredients you used (e.g. lots of pasta and a little sauce, and vice versa).

If you have more of a deficit per day, you could probably continue to lose weight for a while, despite inaccuracies. But in the long run, I believe it's better to get accurate information about how much you're consuming.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The macros and calories are likely to be quite different. It would make your tracking wildly inaccurate. Just use the recipe builder.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    your lazyness is going to prevent you from meeting your goals

no bigs, if you dont really care
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Any foods cooked at home should be logged ingredient by ingredient or ran through the recipe calculator.

I always use a short cut with the recipe calculator - I just estimate how many portions my cooking will make, and then I'll log how many servings of it I eat. It's not the most accurate method but if I don't make a giant batch and eat it all by myself I'm usually good.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The meat version is usually higher-calorie than the vegan version anyway, in my experience. Besides, there are sometimes vegan versions already entered if you search for those. But yeah, I do occasionally log non-vegan versions of things if I can't find the vegan version and I didn't make it, but otherwise it's better to be accurate.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Unless there is no other way, I will enter it individually. The random foods that are entered may just be random #'s someone decided on. It's definitely a PITA to log individually, but it makes it much more accurate. If I have more than 1 serving I will likely use the recipe builder.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder or not worth doing, IMHO. I log to get an accurate picture of what I take in as compared to what I need. I log everything and although I sometimes log things as a "Serving" it's either my recipe, or weighed out to the appropriate serving size listed on the package.

Not doing it that way would be setting myself up for failure and I'm working too hard to be lackadaisical about this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

No, your calories and macros will be way off. And since you are vegan, it's especially important to be accurate about your protein.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in tracking if you're not going to track the food you actually eat. Seems like that would be a bigger waste of time than taking the time to track what you actually ate.

This. I track all ingredients that go into the cooked meal.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Unless there is no other way, I will enter it individually. The random foods that are entered may just be random #'s someone decided on. It's definitely a PITA to log individually, but it makes it much more accurate. If I have more than 1 serving I will likely use the recipe builder.

This is what I do. With less complicated recipes I log individual ingredients -- like, if I make roasted potatoes and eat half of them [as measured by weight 98% of the time, by eyeball 2%] I'll log half of everything that went into making that dish, which is usually just oil and potatoes (that I weighed raw; if I used 400g total, then I'd log that I ate 200g raw potatoes). I do it with noodles too; I weigh out 8oz of dry pasta for the family, then divide the cooked weight by eight to figure out how much pasta per ounce to put in my bowl. It makes it a lot easier for me when cooking for a family, without having to make all of my stuff in a different pan to ensure I don't eat too much.

For more complex recipes, I use the recipe builder and create the servings amount based on weigh -- usually 100g, but sometimes different numbers based on what it is. It keeps me as accurate as I can possibly be. I keep a list of each pan's weight in grams on my fridge, so that I can easily measure the total weight of a recipe for the sake of determining how many servings is in it. (So if it's 1000g total of food, the recipe makes 10, 100g servings. I learned this trick really recently on the forums, actually, and it has made logging homemade stuff like soup and casseroles so much less stressful. )
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd make the effort to use the recipe builder, you only need to do each recipe once after all. It's a bit pointless tracking things if the calories you're tracking don't correspond to what you've actually eaten.
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No, Vegans are incapable of gaining weight, getting sick, or dying of cancer. waaaaaait. Yeah log it separate.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    raishiwi wrote: »
    No, Vegans are incapable of gaining weight, getting sick, or dying of cancer. waaaaaait. Yeah log it separate.

What level vegan do I need to be before I get those powers?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Seems pointless. Might as well not log at all.

To me that's the equivalent of saying I couldn't find a Big Mac in the mfp database so I just logged 10 apple.

Is vegan spagbol anything like meat versions, calorie wise or macro wise?

I am sure there are vegan options in the database but I think the recipe builder is your best option, especially if you make it more than once.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    raishiwi wrote: »

What level vegan do I need to be before I get those powers?

:smiley: