Help! I am a MFP failure.

Options
Hi! I'm Alicia!
I am currently a full time student in Respiratory with exactly one month to go today!!
When I don't have classes, I'm at clinicals. And when I'm not at those two places, then I'm at work!
I literally haven't had a day off Since Feb. and I had that day off because it was my birthday!
Before school, I was super active and had a great diet. I was running 5-7-10 miles at a time a couple days a week and doing weights in the gym.
Throughout school, I ate healthy when I could but it wasn't my top priority. Thankfully, since I started the Respiratory program I only gained 10lbs. (I am 4'9" and weighed 96lbs but I am now 105lbs) which is not bad, it's just I hate how flabby my skin has become since I am not super active like I used to be. And I haven't been eating very healthy lately.
I was on MFP about a month ago and was doing awesome for about 2 weeks! I was eating good, working out when I could/had energy (about 3-4 times a week) and then one night after work I was starving and tired and didn't care so I had a chicken parm. sub from Penn Station (it was so good) and then it ended my routine. So I haven't been working out or logging for 2 weeks. Crap.
Help me! How do I stay on track?!
Let's be friends and keep each other motivated!
Any other college students out there with advice?! Or anyone go through the same thing as a student and have advice?!
Anyone have advice at all!? Lol
Good luck to everyone on this site! :)

Replies

• jerodweber
    jerodweber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Alicia!

Props to you for even thinking about your health and fitness when your schedule is on such mad overload. I have definitely encountered those same hurdles of eating something that "didn't fit" my ideal nutrition in take and feeling liking I lost. But here's what I've learned: You have to treat every meal like it's your first meal. Meaning, if you feel like you've messed up, that's okay, just get back on track with your next meal. Having a cookie, a piece of cake, or that irresistible chicken parm is not the end for you. You clearly are very determined to succeed in anything you do, from school to health, you can do this!
  • aliederbach01
    aliederbach01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Aw thank you so much!! Def needed that!! :smile:
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Definitely what Jerod said, just dust that chicken parm off and try better the next meal. Just because you have 1 bad meal or maybe a couple consecutively don't give up! We all have our moments. Just keep trying! :) Or find healthier versions of the delicious bad food you crave. Lol.

I too have that problem sometimes, but you just gotta hop back on that wagon, enjoy some treats (portion). Life isn't about restriction, do what you can sustain. I stuff my face with crap food at least 1-2 times a week (working on that, lol) and then eat pretty good the rest of the time. Just don't give up after eating that cookie or whatever.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Aw thank you so much!! Def needed that!! :smile:
    We have all been where you are, and nobody is a failure for failing.
    The road to success is paved with the stones of failure.
    So long as you're still in the fight, keep punching, and it's not over. You're only a failure if you quit. NEVER QUIT!
    Good luck to you, and thanks for posting.
    :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure. You're experienced and learning. Graduate. Get that out of the way. Then get a job, which I'm confident you'll do quickly. Around that, arrange your eating such that you comply with your mfp goals. You can do it. Don't be like my daughter who got fat in school and never learned how to live healthy until she had enough money to pay for a gastric sleeve and then was mechanically forced to learn. MFP gives you the power of knowledge. Use it!
  • Tempest07
    Tempest07 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are strong mentally. You have a tough schedule. You push through. You endure. Every day (besides your birthday ;) ) you're dedicated to becoming a better version of yourself through education and hard work.

You already have all the tools. Apply that same focus on your nutrition, and you will suceed.

One big tip I can suggest since you are so busy is to meal prep. After a long day at clinic it's easy to stop at a place like Penn Station and cram your craving.

Prepping meals ahead of time will keep you on task. Bulk cooking like a whole cooking sheet of chicken and big bag of rice. Simple and easy and can last for days.

Slow cooker is nice to set in the morning. You look forward to a healthy home cooked meal on your way home.

Healthy snacks like almonds and seeds kept in your car are also good just in case hunger hits you suddenly.

I'm around for any advice. Keep it up!

Brian
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I'm in school for social work. I'm taking 5 classes (15 credit hours) and I work 40-50 hours a week. I def feel your pain! I didn't think anyone else on here understood how hard it is while in work and school. So glad I read your post!
  • DadisFat1975
    DadisFat1975 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ups and downs are just part of the journey. Just hang in there.
  • Rich42677
    Rich42677 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You have a lot on your plate! ha ha. Don't stress over it. Stress alone can make you gain weight. Finish up your studies and revisit it. Cheers!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Alicia!
    I am currently a full time student in Respiratory with exactly one month to go today!!
    When I don't have classes, I'm at clinicals. And when I'm not at those two places, then I'm at work!
    I literally haven't had a day off Since Feb. and I had that day off because it was my birthday!
    Before school, I was super active and had a great diet. I was running 5-7-10 miles at a time a couple days a week and doing weights in the gym.
    Throughout school, I ate healthy when I could but it wasn't my top priority. Thankfully, since I started the Respiratory program I only gained 10lbs. (I am 4'9" and weighed 96lbs but I am now 105lbs) which is not bad, it's just I hate how flabby my skin has become since I am not super active like I used to be. And I haven't been eating very healthy lately.
    I was on MFP about a month ago and was doing awesome for about 2 weeks! I was eating good, working out when I could/had energy (about 3-4 times a week) and then one night after work I was starving and tired and didn't care so I had a chicken parm. sub from Penn Station (it was so good) and then it ended my routine. So I haven't been working out or logging for 2 weeks. Crap.
    Any other college students out there with advice?! Or anyone go through the same thing as a student and have advice?!

Congratulations on your degree completion. There is no such thing as a MFP failure.

Clearly you do not have a problem with weight and are not gaining the kind of weight that often develops when going to school. Keep up the great job.
  • aliederbach01
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I'm in school for social work. I'm taking 5 classes (15 credit hours) and I work 40-50 hours a week. I def feel your pain! I didn't think anyone else on here understood how hard it is while in work and school. So glad I read your post!

I'm glad I found someone that understands!! Congrats on working so hard with school! :smile: I'll see you around on here! Keep me updated with how you are doing and anything that helps!
    Also, what kind of meals are you eating that are easy and healthy? I'm always trying to figure out what is healthy, easy and fast and something I don't have to cook when getting home after a long day lol !!
  • aliederbach01
    Options
    You're not a failure. You're experienced and learning. Graduate. Get that out of the way. Then get a job, which I'm confident you'll do quickly. Around that, arrange your eating such that you comply with your mfp goals. You can do it. Don't be like my daughter who got fat in school and never learned how to live healthy until she had enough money to pay for a gastric sleeve and then was mechanically forced to learn. MFP gives you the power of knowledge. Use it!

Thank you for your kind words! :smile:
  • aliederbach01
    Options
    Hi! I'm Alicia!

Congratulations on your degree completion. There is no such thing as a MFP failure.

Clearly you do not have a problem with weight and are not gaining the kind of weight that often develops when going to school. Keep up the great job.

Thank you! :smile:
  • aliederbach01
    Options
    Tempest07 wrote: »
    Obviously you are strong mentally. You have a tough schedule. You push through. You endure. Every day (besides your birthday ;) ) you're dedicated to becoming a better version of yourself through education and hard work.

You already have all the tools. Apply that same focus on your nutrition, and you will suceed.

One big tip I can suggest since you are so busy is to meal prep. After a long day at clinic it's easy to stop at a place like Penn Station and cram your craving.

Prepping meals ahead of time will keep you on task. Bulk cooking like a whole cooking sheet of chicken and big bag of rice. Simple and easy and can last for days.

Slow cooker is nice to set in the morning. You look forward to a healthy home cooked meal on your way home.

Healthy snacks like almonds and seeds kept in your car are also good just in case hunger hits you suddenly.

I'm around for any advice. Keep it up!

Brian

Brian!
    Thanks for the tips! I am always wondering what is easy, healthy and fast to eat/cook after a long day!
    Thank you for the support! See ya around on here! :smile:
    Alicia