Running?

Options
I've been running lately, and I need to know if some of you get the same feelings as I do. I just want to make sure the feeling is normal. Please take into consideration that I am in a new environment that includes running.

1. I am a beginning runner, and trying to increase my distance. What are some things to do to increase my distance.

2. Does anyone shin feel weird when they are running after awhile.

3. Finally does anyone else chest sometimes hurt after running? Its not hard for me to catch my breath when I stop. It just feels weird like i have to recatch it sometimes. Well that's because i do it to make sure i am breathing...idk its weird. I don't have asthma. Its just a weird feeling after I run, or have worked out a long time.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Those sound like questions to ask you Doctor. The things you describe could be serious and I would not take advise from anyone but a professional. That is just my opinion.
  • slimothy89
    slimothy89 Posts: 61
    Options
    Those sound like questions to ask you Doctor. The things you describe could be serious and I would not take advise from anyone but a professional. That is just my opinion.

I've seen a doctor, and that's how I know I don't have asthma.
  • Mommyto2B2G
    Options
    1: To increase your running you need to increase your stamina first. Start out doing walk to jog walk to jog, if thats easy jog to running and so forth. After a while your endurance builds up and you can go for longer periods of time.

2:I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure whats going on with you but it sounds like you may have shin splints. Ouch! Def ask the doctor about that.

3: You need to wind down a bit. Your heart rate is going so fast so you just need to pace yourself in the end. For example if I'm running towards the end I slow down steadily until towards the time I'm stopping, I'm walking. It helps your heart rate slow down.

All this stuff helps me, I don't know how correct it is, I'm not an expert by any means. :)
  • lwinterwerp
    Options
    When i first started out runnin, i'd do a 2 mins of walking, 2 mins of running, 1 min of a sprint, then go back to then repeat while i was on the treadmill. It helped me out alot and i feel like i can run longer.
    Once i started that, then i started to do where i'd run for say 10 mins straight, the next day i'd do 11, 12 and so on with increasing it by a min or two everyday. That helped alot and motivated me to continue increase my time and to stay consistant.
    Just being out of shape can make your chest hurt from not being use to it. Do you smoke?
    Your shins are prob just not use to the amount your running, and prob having shin splits.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    One way to increase is to alternate running and walking... especially in the heat.

If you think you might be getting shin splints, you may have increased running to quickly for your body to get used to it.

I think the only thing that fixes shin splints is rest.

And maybe soe stretching too.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    1. I am a beginning runner, and trying to increase my distance. What are some things to do to increase my distance.

2. Does anyone shin feel weird when they are running after awhile.

3. Finally does anyone else chest sometimes hurt after running? Its not hard for me to catch my breath when I stop. It just feels weird like i have to recatch it sometimes. Well that's because i do it to make sure i am breathing...idk its weird. I don't have asthma. Its just a weird feeling after I run, or have worked out a long time.

1) You simply have to increase your goals. Do it in baby steps, maybe 10% per week.
    2) If your shins are bothering you, try some different stretches. There are several specifically for shins. Also, look into your shoes. A running store should be able to analyze your shoes, gate, ect and let you know if you're good on that front. Also don't forget to warm up.

3) That is normal for a beginning runner. You may have to work on your pace a bit. Try slowing down in your runs.
  • tisntat
    tisntat Posts: 6
    Options
    If you're a beginner runner, you should work up to the run with a run/walk routine. I saw a great training program on Kaiser Permanente's site that give you a 4-5 weeks program to get to 30 minutes of run. You can definitely pull something if you're not being careful. Good for you and good work!
  • slimothy89
    slimothy89 Posts: 61
    Options
    When i first started out runnin, i'd do a 2 mins of walking, 2 mins of running, 1 min of a sprint, then go back to then repeat while i was on the treadmill. It helped me out alot and i feel like i can run longer.
    Once i started that, then i started to do where i'd run for say 10 mins straight, the next day i'd do 11, 12 and so on with increasing it by a min or two everyday. That helped alot and motivated me to continue increase my time and to stay consistant.
    Just being out of shape can make your chest hurt from not being use to it. Do you smoke?
    Your shins are prob just not use to the amount your running, and prob having shin splits.

Shin splints are nothing that could keep me from running can they? I need to know how to run especially if I am joining the military soon. You think maybe its because I am heavy, and my shins can't tolerate it? I'm going to try that routine. I can only run try intervals is what you are saying to increase my run? The treadmill slows me down, so I dont like the treadmill at all. I feel like its holding me back. The track is where it is at. I usually have fun there, but sometimes it hurts. My chest doesn't hurt until after I run. Not even hurting..like i said its weird.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, get fitted for some proper running shoes and that should alleviate leg/shin pain from running. :)
  • microbio72
    microbio72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. One thing that really helped me was following the couch to 5k program you can find on the web. It's basically just a free schedule that works you up slowly, so you are less likely to get sore. Also get your gait analyzed and buy running shoes that correct any problems you may have. I had a horrible time with shin splints until I did that.
  • miz_yaz
    miz_yaz Posts: 4
    Options
    I second the couch to 5k program! They also have a phone app that prompts u when to run and when to walk during your run. Its builds up your stamina so you can eventually run for a longer period