Greek Yogurt

Options
punkypump
punkypump Posts: 30 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I bought 10 cups of plain greek yogurt (Oikos brand), and put some honey in it -- because I read about.

GROSS.

Maybe it's just me, but my gag reflex was in full force.

Please someone help me? What can I put in it to be able to stomach it. I've read PB2, and I have some at home, but I'm afraid to try it because of how awful greek yogurt & honey is.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use nuts or nut butter and honey or maple syrup in mine. Maybe you just don't like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt can be an acquired taste. Plain Greek can also be used in dips (mix in dry Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning) or use as a sour cream substitute.

I like flavored Greek (Fage Raspberry) - you could try adding fruit & maybe some jam. Even sweetened it's going to be much lower in sugar that regular yogurt.

People use it to make overnight oatmeal (I'm not a fan).....but there are lots of recipes on-line.
  • stuwade1
    stuwade1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick some in a smoothie, tastes great!
  • mrrkkemp
    mrrkkemp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries, summer fruits etc. Just give 'em a minute in the microwave and then put the yoghurt on top. Fibre, Vit C and only a comparably small amount of sugar, unlike honey. 75g to 100g should swing it for 150ml of yoghurt.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Add some granola
  • salimsukkar
    salimsukkar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add stevia or splenda along with some blueberries and walnuts to mine. Yummy!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mix it with lemon juice and a good tandoori spice blend (say equal parts ground ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, turmeric, salt, cayenne pepper) then roll chicken thighs/drumsticks (with deep slashes cut in them) in it.

After marinating overnight, cook under a massively hot grill (or whatever Americans call it...)

et voila! Pretty fine tandoori chicken...
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do you like it plain? If not nothing will really cover up the distinct tang Greek yogurt has. Fruit & honey is my favorite topping. You can use it in smoothies, that should make it more palatable.

If nothing else you can probably cook with the rest of it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what is it that you don't like about it?

Did you go in expecting the sweetened fruity tasty versions like american yogurts? LOL

Greek yogurt has a tang. it's pretty damn close to sour cream.

I personally add a few sliced strawberries and some drizzled honey on top. I absolutely do not mix greek yogurt because it ruins the texture. you can add berries, granola, bananas, etc. Mine usually looks like this.

photo.jpg

Bam! That's it. Otherwise, if you're a heathen, add splenda and mix it up and try it that way.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like the Oikios triple zero yogurt, which has 15g(!) of protein and 120 calories. It's low in sugar, and I like the flavors it comes in. Chobani mix-ins are pretty good too. Try buying just one cup of a couple different brands and see what you like. Plain greek yogurt is great for substituting mayo in chicken salad. I use shredded poached chicken, low sugar craisins, walnuts, green onions, celery, salt, pepper, and mix in a couple tbs of greek yogurt.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Try a flavored protein powder.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I add many different toppings to mine, but in all honesty, I love the plain as well. A drizzle of honey is my favorite. I also use it in place of sour cream and sometimes butter. But many say that it is an acquired taste.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    punkyx0 wrote: »
    I bought 10 cups of plain greek yogurt (Oikos brand), and put some honey in it -- because I read about.

GROSS.

Maybe it's just me, but my gag reflex was in full force.

Please someone help me? What can I put in it to be able to stomach it. I've read PB2, and I have some at home, but I'm afraid to try it because of how awful greek yogurt & honey is.

I mix it with 1/2 cup kefir, plain, and 1 cup frozen blueberries...put it in a blender...best smoothy ever!
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I mix some jam, preserves, agave, whatever I got and always sprinkle in a little sweetener if I'm not mixing it with something else. Or ranch seasonings when making dressing
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Only thing I've found Oikos Plain good for is as a sour cream substitute. Put it on a taco and call it a day.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options