How to deal with emotional eating?

Options
Ok so the past 2 days have been very difficult emotionally and I'm an emotional eater. I have been doing great on my diet, but I don't know how to deal well right now. I don't want to screw this all up. Please help

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I used to be an emotional eater. Now I use exercise to self-soothe. Yay for exercise high!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I always believed I was an emotional eater, but as as soon as I replaced the sweets and snacks in my cupboards with real food and started planning my meals and eating real meals, the constant overeating just magically stopped.
  • bethjcro
    bethjcro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This may sound a little silly but whenever I go for a snack (so not meals), before I eat I take a minute and ask myself "will this make me feel better?" Sometimes the answer is yes either because I'm actually hungry or because sometimes it's ok to eat your feelings (not all the time, not most of the time but sometimes). Taking the moment to be mindful let's me make the choice. Am I having this snack to fuel my body or am I having this snack to soothe my feelings. Most of the time, if the snack was to soothe my feelings I can find a better coping mechanism. But either way, it's my choice and I know which choice I'm making. I gained a lot of weight in the months after my mom died and this strategy has really helped me move on from that type of coping and helped me seek out the help I actually needed for my grief.
  • windime
    windime Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas, I'm definitely going to put them to use
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I always believed I was an emotional eater, but as as soon as I replaced the sweets and snacks in my cupboards with real food and started planning my meals and eating real meals, the constant overeating just magically stopped.

Ya, this definitely helped me with munchies with no discernible cause.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I try and get myself out of whatever emotional funk I'm in. Play a video game, go for a drive, read a book, go for a walk. Something.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've talked to some people who suggest making a note, whether mental or actually writing it down, and tracking how you feel when you get the urge to over eat. You can better see trends in how you are feeling emotionally and maybe what is triggering you to over eat. I also like the suggestion of exercise to self soothe.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "what am I seeking?" It might be comfort, support, company, peace...whatever. Then work out what will give you this without sticking your head in the fridge. Comfort - curling up in bed with a great book works for me, support/company - call someone who cares about you. But looking at the specific need you have in that moment that you are wanting food to fix is where it's at.