Wanted: Advice from Teachers!

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Help!

I'm trying really hard to drink more water; my goal is a gallon/day (emphasis on the "goal"). However, I'm a teacher and have only 1-2 breaks per day when I don't have students. I can't leave my students unattended to pee, but I also can't get my daily intake of water without needing to use the restroom frequently. Any advice?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if drinking more results in peeing more to that extent then you aren't achieving anything by drinking more. Just be adequately hydrated, and if your peeing frequency seems excessive talk to a doctor.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm a sub. I never know what to expect. Fortunately teaching days are short.
    I drink one water glass in the morning & the rest starting the last hour or so of school. Try to wrap it up by 8 or so so I don't pee all night!
  • strelitzia4
    strelitzia4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Drink more at night?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking a gallon of water on top of other beverages? You probably don't need that much water.

At most, I aim for 40 ounces of water, but I'm usually closer to 30 or so. I have coffee with breakfast and diet soda with lunch (this ends up being 16-24 ounces of liquid) and try to work my way through my 24 oz water bottle over the course of the day. I generally have 1 glass of water at night, too.

I aim for half my body weight in ounces of liquid. I'm ~113 lbs, so that's 57 ounces. I usually hit that number, plus I eat some fruit and veggies each day which contribute liquids, too.

~Lyssa
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Drink more after school than during the school day?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I drink a big glass of water in the morning. I use the loo before lessons start, then at break, if I have a free lesson, and at lunch. Our school day ends at 2:55pm, so I just drink lots after that. I also drinks lots of coffee throughout the day... I have 3 young kids of my own. Caffeine is essential :)
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Are you drinking a gallon of water on top of other beverages?
    ~Lyssa

Was also wondering about what other beverages you drink. Replace your other beverages with water and have a bottle on your way home.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't count my cup of juice for breakfast, but I do count my tea and coffee. Thoughts on that?
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Help!

I'm trying really hard to drink more water; my goal is a gallon/day (emphasis on the "goal"). However, I'm a teacher and have only 1-2 breaks per day when I don't have students. I can't leave my students unattended to pee, but I also can't get my daily intake of water without needing to use the restroom frequently. Any advice?

I know EXACTLY what you're going through!! Fortunately, there's a bathroom right around the corner from my room, so if I absolutely CANNOT wait, I'll run there and take care of business. My problem is that I teach from 7:30-12, and then typically cover a class from 12:30-2, so breaks are few and far between.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just plan bathroom breaks ahead of time and even go as scheduled whether I think I have to or not! In a pinch, we call a neighbor teacher and cover for each other.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a 32oz bottle of water every class period. There were definitely times when I had to do the pee-pee dance by the time the bell rang! I also had a teacher that I shared a common door with; we would signal one another to be on classroom lookout in and emergency. But I'm not sure how well that would work if you teach littles.

One advantage of switching to the "dark side"...most of the time administrators get to pee when they want!
  • sfarmer89
    sfarmer89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a 3 cup water bottle, I drink one before I get to work in the morning and one before I go home for the day and one more in the evening that makes 9 cups for the day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    I don't count my cup of juice for breakfast, but I do count my tea and coffee. Thoughts on that?

Of course we count juice. All fluid counts as water. :)
    I do not drink much In the am -- maybe 1/2 cup before I leave home before work. then in the second half of the teaching day I drink about 8-16 oz.
    I do the rest of my drinking after classes.
  • Nikkimoi
    Nikkimoi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Neighbor teachers and co-teachers. Also, I'm not afraid to send an all-call email for help if it's a real emergency. Definitely one of the downsides of teaching.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am an Instructional Asst and I go out to classes with the students. I have 2 Cups before work, then I drink a 32 oz water bottle throughout the rest of the school day. I have it timed pretty good to where I run in between classes but it is difficult!