154 days of tracking and exercise 6 days a week, no weight loss

Options
I'm not sure how I should feel about this, so I'm putting there. I am 50 lbs overweight. In November I joined a gym. I have been very good about going 6 days a week. I started out doing strength training and now I am doing strength and cardio.

My goal was to gain muscle back that I had lost over the past four years and lose the fat. So far I have lost 1 lb of fat and gained 8 lbs of muscle. However, it's getting frustrating. I'm not much smaller and I really want to get back into my clothes.

I am not giving up, but I am having moments of frustration. Two weeks ago I also joined Weight Watchers hoping that will help. My biggest issues is evening dinners and wanting to have a cocktail. I don't do this every night, but I know somehow it's hurting me.

This weight will eventually come off, I am just frustrated that is hasn't gone or that I haven't at least lost 5-10 after 160 days of doing this.

If you're been down this path of a very slow start that finally lead to weight lose, please share. I need some good words and results.

Replies

• mrskoopy
    mrskoopy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been there. What finally changed is that I dropped down to 1400 calories, tightened up my numbers by weighing my food, and cardio and strength training. On the days I exercise I eat back most of my exercise calories. I started last week Monday at this (was at what MFP recommended before that and didn't weigh my food) and I am happy to report a 2.4lb loss today, after one week. Maybe a tweak to your numbers, or getting down and dirty with a food scale, would help. Hang in there.
  • hmotis
    hmotis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of weight loss is determining what works for you and your lifestyle. Making sure you get enough water, not eating too much salt, lots of fiber(for those good BM's!), playing with macronutrients (like lowering fat, increasing protein/carbs) are all things I've had to do to get the weight falling off. And sometimes being "too comfortable" in a routine equals major plateau. Maybe try a new exercise, join a softball league, etc. I would be MAJORLY frustrated if I was in your shoes, but I'm so impressed by your determination! Keep it up!!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot about how much you are exercising & not much about what you are eating. Exercise is for getting more fit. You lose weight by eating less calories than you use. You need to set up your account here so that you know how many calories you should be eating & then get a digital food scale & weigh every piece of solid food that goes in your mouth in grams & measure out every liquid in a measuring cup or spoon. If you do this, you will know when you can work in your evening cocktail. You can use weight watchers if you prefer--it's just a more complicated way of calorie counting & they charge you for it. Either way, you still need to weigh your foods.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . Are you using a food scale to weigh all your solids and. Measuring cups to measure your liquids?
    How many calories are you eating per day ?

How did you determine that you gained 8lbs in muscle ? If you are a female,thats no easy task and takes time. Something doesnt sound right about at all. How did you come to this conclusion?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    22mppp6hwkb2.jpg

This 100%
    If your not losing weight then you are not at a calorie deficit
    Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean your actually eating at a calorie deficit .

• kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try watching "No!!! Don't Eat Sticks of Butter" by Butter Bob Briggs. Also, for entertainment watch "Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off" and "Lard Makes You Lean", all by Butter Bob.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat, you need to eat less. Six months is way past the "maybe it's beginner exerciser water weight" or period or ovulation water weight stage. I'm surprised you'd wait this long to get annoyed. You're very patient!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    No weightloss= no deficit
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how have you measured that you have gained 8lbs of muscle?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If you maintain your weight that long you are eating at maintenance.
  • twebber03
    twebber03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. You're right I'm eating too much