can't cut the pop

Options
I have always loved pop and have been able to get it down to drinking one can a day but that's the best I can do right now. So, my question is what is better:
Coke
Coke Zero
Diet Coke

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Better ... how? Taste? Price? Calories?
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I still occ drink Diet coke and it is not a problem for me. It does not affect my weight loss or cravings so all is good
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Better is all relative.

I like diet soda because I don't like drinking calories.

I like the taste of Coke Zero better than Diet Coke but will drink either.

They're all fine. If you have the calories for a regular coke, go for it.

~Lyssa
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of diet coke so personally I would go with coke zero.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Bourbon and coke
    That would depend on the bourbon. I prefer Kraken and Coke. Makers and Coke as a backup.

Drink whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories. Today, I'm going for Dr. Pepper. No rum, I'm at work. :frowning:
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Better in taste or better for you ? I go real Coke as the others have no calories so they don't really satisfy. A lot of 'diet foods' have been shown (by some studies - google it) to hinder weight loss. The sugar substitutes in the zero cal drinks are really dangerous (more studies). Coke itself has the calories so it satiates but will give you that 'crash' afterwards. I went from 1-2 cans per day to none at all - a bit jittery in the first week but after that the pounds just fell off me (I kid you not !). A little bit more to it than that to lose it but it was a big help. I now drink it sparingly.
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    Better in taste or better for you ? I go real Coke as the others have no calories so they don't really satisfy. A lot of 'diet foods' have been shown (by some studies - google it) to hinder weight loss. The sugar substitutes in the zero cal drinks are really dangerous (more studies). Coke itself has the calories so it satiates but will give you that 'crash' afterwards. I went from 1-2 cans per day to none at all - a bit jittery in the first week but after that the pounds just fell off me (I kid you not !). A little bit more to it than that to lose it but it was a big help. I now drink it sparingly.

There has yet to be any evidence that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are harmful.

This is just one article about that lack of evidence: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

In some people, artificial sweeteners cause an increase in food/sugar cravings.

This is not true of all people.

I can substitute a diet soda for a snack if I'm going to be eating within an hour or so. It satiates me just fine.

~Lyssa
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero and Diet Coke have no calories, plus I prefer the less sweet taste of Coke Zero - but it is your choice...I have a friend who loves Coke and makes space in her day and calories for her one can a day....
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I never liked soda, but diet anything is bad for you. Just drink the real soda.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Totally up to you. I love diet root beer and hate regular, sugared sodas of any kind. The sugar makes my teeth feel gritty.

Other than wine a couple nights a week, I don't drink my calories.

And ignore those who say diet is "bad" for you. Unless you personally have an allergy or intolerance, artificial sweeteners have been studied to death and are perfectly safe.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    If I drink a soda, it's likely to be coke zero as it doesn't have that chemically aftertaste and is not overly sweet. Nothing has been shown yet that a lot of those sugar substitutes are particularly harmful to humans although they have caused some problems in lab animals. Also, it's much better than drinking your calories which can lead to overeating due to the lack of nutrient dense foods curbing your hunger.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Coke Zero and Diet Coke have no calories, plus I prefer the less sweet taste of Coke Zero - but it is your choice...I have a friend who loves Coke and makes space in her day and calories for her one can a day....

This. I drink both diet coke and coke zero.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is the better tasting diet soda.

Regular Coke is too sweet for me now, but if you don't mind fitting it into your diet, go with that.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I actually preferred diet Pepsi.

But I don't hardly drink diet anything anymore. Only if I'm out with people and even then I drink a diet Sierra Mist or 7 up or whatever white soda they got. I don't want the extra caffeine. It keeps me awake at night.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coke Zero, it has the same flavor profile as regular coke (diet coke actually uses a totally different recipe).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

There has yet to be any evidence that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are harmful.

This is just one article about that lack of evidence: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

I can substitute a diet soda for a snack if I'm going to be eating within an hour or so. It satiates me just fine.

~Lyssa

More than that, there have been multiple reviews of the available research, that have come to a conclusion that is pretty rare in science.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

Assuring you that it is safe without a doubt is not something you see a lot. Goes to show just how friggin' much research has been done on that for such a long time.
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

More than that, there have been multiple reviews of the available research, that have come to a conclusion that is pretty rare in science.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

Assuring you that it is safe without a doubt is not something you see a lot. Goes to show just how friggin' much research has been done on that for such a long time.

Thank you for sharing that - don't have the time to read it through myself at the moment but I will do so in the near future :)

~Lyssa
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water is so good and once you get used to it, you won't miss the coke since it has the carbonation. I love the lemon-lime
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    +2 for sparkling water... However I'm really not a soda person. I'm a water person lol
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of diet soda. Once I switched back to regular (rather, I was challenged to do so as the diet coke for me, was a disordered eating crutch)...I now can't stand the taste of diet.

However, other than an occasional ginger ale, I don't like to drink those calories/sugar, so I opt for sparkling water with fruit in it. Satisfies my craving for carbonation