Weight training?

Options
I decided to start weight training and I'm excited. In the morning and for lunch I have shakes, are they good to have while weight training?

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Do you mean protein shakes? You don't need them if you are eating a balanced diet with good protein. Also, if you do have them, make sure you include them in your daily calories because they can add up fast.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its a good idea to have that extra protein. I drink a protein shake during and right after my workouts. I add BCAA's in it also. And you could consider adding creatine. I can't remember what the protein rule is for muscle building, i think its 1gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight that you are. i'm sure someone knows the guideline and will post it.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself, especially since I have such a hard time eating enough protein. But I wonder about low calorie options because most of the ones I have seen have 150-200 calories per serving.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    i use ON gold standard, i think its 120 calories for 24 grams of protein. You can also add egg whites or whole eggs to your diet , turkey or chicken , even milk and cheese have a good amount of protein.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself, especially since I have such a hard time eating enough protein. But I wonder about low calorie options because most of the ones I have seen have 150-200 calories per serving.

Salted caramel Quest protein powder is 100 calories for 22 grams of protein. And it's super yummy.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You can get a flavored protein powder and mix it with almond milk. It'd probably be 120-150 calories ranging from 20-26g of protein depending on the brand. With the almond milk, it may come to 140-170 calories.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    its a good idea to have that extra protein. I drink a protein shake during and right after my workouts. I add BCAA's in it also. And you could consider adding creatine. I can't remember what the protein rule is for muscle building, i think its 1gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight that you are. i'm sure someone knows the guideline and will post it.

Creatine is not necessary in the least for a beginner.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Getting a good protein powder could be beneficial depending on your overall diet. Just make sure you're hitting your protein macro and the shakes you're drinking fit within your caloric guidelines. I don't think replacing a meal with a shake is the best thing to do as your body processes solid proteins from food more effectively than protein powders. A protein shake would be a supplement for a meal, not an overall meal replacement. Many people swear by drinking a protein shake after a workout as the body is supposed to have better uptake during that period for about an hour. I'm not particularly sold on that because there are plenty of powders that use mixed protein sources that take longer to break down than others so you'll end up with a continuous flow of protein throughout the day.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are meeting your protein macro with regular food, you don't need shakes. However, if you have trouble getting enough protein (like I do) then a shake is good to have. Figure out how much protein you should be having,'track your food accurately and judge from there if you need it.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

its not necessary , which is why i said she could "consider adding" it. She's posted before that she has a goal to build muscle, more than just general fitness. And creatine is an option she might wanna look into to help with her weight lifting and progress.
  • LazSommer
    Options

its not necessary , which is why i said she could "consider adding" it. She's posted before that she has a goal to build muscle, more than just general fitness. And creatine is an option she might wanna look into to help with her weight lifting and progress.

If someone is asking if protein shakes are good for weight lifting, they aren't ready to have creatine mentioned. I don't know how long you've been lifting, but I don't think anyone should experiment with supplements (protein powder excluded ) if they don't have a solid understanding of lifting and their own body. Creatine is not something one needs to consider when they haven't even begun to push themselves. It has its benefits.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough protein so that's why I use it
  • SonyaCele
    Options

If someone is asking if protein shakes are good for weight lifting, they aren't ready to have creatine mentioned. I don't know how long you've been lifting, but I don't think anyone should experiment with supplements (protein powder excluded ) if they don't have a solid understanding of lifting and their own body. Creatine is not something one needs to consider when they haven't even begun to push themselves. It has its benefits.

well that's your opinion. my opinion is its one of the safer suppliments and wont cause harm and if someone is looking into serious weightlifting, like she has stated she is, its something to consider. I wish i was informed about it when i started lifting. she can make her own decision, at least now shes aware it exists.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Firstly just to clarify, there are protein shakes and then there are meal replacement shakes. Protein shakes should be mostly protein (say 80% or above), meal replacement shakes should contain a mixture of protein, fat and carbs. Protein shakes are not necessary for weight lifting in the same way that meal replacement shakes are not necessary for weight loss. You need to focus on getting the right amount of calories and protein for your goal. Protein shakes can be a very convenient way of helping to hit your protein macro but are not necessary and it's probably preferable to get most of your protein from whole food sources.

My advice is to start eating food for your meals, track your protein macro aiming for around 1g/lb of lean body mass and then if you're having trouble getting enough protein add in a shake as a snack. If you like having a shake as a meal a smoothie that has a good balance of protein, fat and carbs is better than a meal replacement IMHO.
  • LazSommer
    Options

well that's your opinion. my opinion is its one of the safer suppliments and wont cause harm and if someone is looking into serious weightlifting, like she has stated she is, its something to consider. I wish i was informed about it when i started lifting. she can make her own decision, at least now shes aware it exists.

What is serious weight lifting these days?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Just to throw this in on the hijacked protein shake thread about creatine, it's used as a supplement in many situations, not just weight lifting.

I use it not to aid my lifts but rather to help with recovery. That's where I've found it most beneficial to me.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/creatine/dosing/hrb-20059125
  • LazSommer
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »

Just to throw this in on the hijacked protein shake thread about creatine, it's used as a supplement in many situations, not just weight lifting.

I use it not to aid my lifts but rather to help with recovery. That's where I've found it most beneficial to me.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/creatine/dosing/hrb-20059125

I don't have a problem with it, I use it. I just don't think it's wise to advise someone to toss in supplements when they haven't trained without them, yet. How do you know if it works for you if you've never trained without it?
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was already aware of it and I'm going to train without it for now and see how it goes. And I was advised to concentrate on my diet and training first before adding any supplements.
  • xIxRAVENxIx
    xIxRAVENxIx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    I decided to start weight training and I'm excited. In the morning and for lunch I have shakes, are they good to have while weight training?

Depends on what your taking dont over do the protein you could end gaining weight.