Question for Runners

Options
PeachyKeene
PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
I was doing the C25k program on the end of th 7th week I ran 4 miles non-stop, that was Monday. Then Wednesday I was able to run 6 miles non-stop. But, today I only got through 4.25 miles and had to stop.

Is this a normal thing in the beginning? Do I need to just continue to try to get as far as possible? What do you think?

Thanks!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Bad runs happen from ime to time.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Most runners wouldn't recommend you run as far as possible on every run. It's more practical to have short/medium/long run days. The short-run can be days where you focus more on running faster... the long-run days on running longer distances (but at a slower pace). In the end, all of it helps your fitness and endurance.

Personally, I do 2 short-to-medium run days, one speed/interval day, and one long run day each week (normally).
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    i think we all have good and bad running days......dont let it get you down! it will make you feel great the next time you have a good run!
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just was hoping running 6 miles wasn't a fluke I guess. I know it isn't, but I did a little brag session to some of my friends then, I couldn't do it today. Kinda busted my bubble, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just was hoping running 6 miles wasn't a fluke I guess. I know it isn't, but I did a little brag session to some of my friends then, I couldn't do it today. Kinda busted my bubble, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is supposed to get you through approximately 3 miles. Were you going beyond the program? How fast were you running?
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    perhaps you were a bit ambitious. perhaps you went out too fast. perhaps not enough carbs. perhaps you were tired from previous runs. however, great job and move up gradually so one does not get hurt or discouraged.
  • saffir27
    saffir27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with accountant_boi don't try to run as far as you can everyday. Mix in short runs were you focus on form and speed and then usually no more than one long run a week.

Also never increase your distance or time more than 10% per week. If you increase faster than that you are putting yourself at greater risk for stress injuries.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You need to let your body rest. We all have good days and bad days. No long run is a fluke. It is what your body can handle given the current conditions.

You should not be trying to run as far as possible every run. It greatly increases your chance for injury.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Though I hardly consider myself a runner, I have been jogging on my treadmill a bit and found that I would have a few great days in a row and then a day where I couldn't get out of my own way and basically just sucked! I have slowly learned that I have to take some time off between my big/long/high intensity (for me) runs and then get back to it. When I started taking days off here and there, I was much more successful!

Best of luck and congrats on that 6 miler! That's my best too and I do think it's brag worthy!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a total newbie runner - just started about six months ago - but I'm very confident in my ability to go at least 6 miles. That said, some days, it just ain't happenin'! Sometimes, I still need to toss in a few walk breaks. Like today. I'm recovering from a cold, and tried to push it a little too far.

But I've found that even on days I have to walk, my average pace is still about the same. Even today, when I thought I was gonna die between my lungs and the humidity, and walking a lot more than normal, I finished about one minute slower (over 4.8 miles) than my normal pace.

Personally, I like to mix up what I'm doing. Some days slower, longer and easier, some days faster and shorter, some days hilly and grueling, some days on trails.